Ok, so I saw this thing about putting a colored inlay in, covering it with a clear sheet & epoxy, and sanding it down after it dries... But to make it simpler, would it work to just put a cheap white inlay in, and fill the hole above it with (food-colored) red epoxy to save a lot of time and trouble?

That seems logical right now, but is there anything bad that could happen?

Also, how would I go about turning a rosewood fretboard permanently black? I'd assume normal wood stain would just rub off after a few days of playing...

Thanks in advance, and sorry for stupid questions.
metalwarrior40- OK, is that stuff gonna get all over my fingers and rub off when I try to play it?

guitarcam123- That's what I was originally going to do, I was asking if my red epoxy method (which seems 10x simpler) would be any worse. I'm mainly asking because I don't know how "smooth" the epoxy will look if I have to sand it. I don't really plan on having to sand at all, though (hence why I'm not doing what you said)
no, its simple, wear gloves, put it on the fretboard, wipe off all the excess stain, let it dry.
after its dry, your fine.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
On second thought, last time I asked UG for customization tips, some crackheads gave me some bad advice and almost screwed my project up. I'll try that stain on a cheap guitar first and see how I like it. As for inlays... Well, if I screw it up, too bad. Thanks for the responses.

--If a mod would please close this, go ahead.
Well, im glad to see, that being a everyday poster in GB & C gets you called a crackhead, and that everything i know is wrong,

oh, and why don't you just delete the thread yourself, i mean you do know how to do that right?
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at Dec 5, 2008,
If staining a fingerboard is such rocket science that you ask for advice and then doubt the advice you get, I don't think you should be playing guitar, much less working on one. And this coming from a piano player
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by GravyFish
If staining a fingerboard is such rocket science that you ask for advice and then doubt the advice you get, I don't think you should be playing guitar, much less working on one. And this coming from a pokemon player

fixed
Crackheads? Wow. If it went so bad before, why would you ask again?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by GravyFish
If staining a fingerboard is such rocket science that you ask for advice and then doubt the advice you get, I don't think you should be playing guitar, much less working on one. And this coming from a piano player

thank you
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
^

this is why we need a who to listen list!
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
doesn't matter, i believe it was closed anyway
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
I need to get in one of those =[
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK