I'm looking to buy my first bass and I want your opinions on what to get. My family is pretty poor so I need to keep the price range between 100$-200$. I would rather have a 5 string, if at all possible.

I'm looking to play pop/slap and finger style. Not so much with a pick. I'm gonna try to order it off of Amazon or eBay to get the best price.

Also, if you could recommend me a (Really Cheap) amp to along with it I would be grateful. It doesn't have to be a loud amp, just want it to sound decent.

And if it's of any relevance, I mainly play metal and jazz.
Squier Jazz. $179 for an Affinity Series, probably about the same for a used Vintage Modifed series

Orange Crush 20b. $130

The Jazz is versatile, and the Crush Sounds amazing.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Dec 5, 2008,
ibanez gsr205 for the bass and acoustic b20 for the amp
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
I recommend not getting a five-string right away because the B string has a special technique to play it so go with a four string i recommend:

Rogue LX200B 4 string bass ($100 on musiciansfriend.com)
Behringer 15 watt ultrabass BT108 practice amp ($70 on musiciansfriend.com)

I bought both of these recently and am VERY happy with them the Rogue bass plays like its worth $500 and the amp is wonderful for practicing, all the notes come out clear you might have to spend a little bit more for straps, cords, picks etc. it plays well with fingers or picking (i know you said you dont want to use a pick) i play a lot of jazz on it and it has a jazz style pick-up which gives it a great sound, the only downside is the factory strings are horrible so i bought some nicer ones i recommend you do the same if you want the best sound. I say buy it off of musiciansfriend.com they always have good prices and is a reliable website. Personal Message me once you get your bass im interested in what you choose.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Read the FAQ. 5 string versions of basses in there will cost a tad more.

OK I read it, I found this at Amazon, tell me if you think it sounds like a good deal. Also, I'm going to look on eBay as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Squier-Affinity-Jazz-5-string-Guitar/dp/B001L8NHWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1228526369&sr=1-1
Quote by goldenslumbers
I recommend not getting a five-string right away because the B string has a special technique to play it so go with a four string i recommend:

There is no special technique at all. And learning on a 5 is no harder than learning on a 4.
Quote by bloodshed344
OK, also I'm looking at Orange Crush amplifiers and they say guitar amps, would it work with bass as well?

no deffinitly not look for a b after thewattage and its the bass version
but is five strings a must because generally i usally dont recomend them to people who have small budgets because they cost more and although not hard to find strings are harder to find and cost more
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
no deffinitly not look for a b after thewattage and its the bass version
but is five strings a must because generally i usally dont recomend them to people who have small budgets because they cost more and although not hard to find strings are harder to find and cost more

Yes they are, I already found a good 5 string bass I want though, I just want an amp that will support the low frequencies.
Quote by bloodshed344
Yes they are, I already found a good 5 string bass I want though, I just want an amp that will support the low frequencies.

Then you will be looking at either 12" neo speakers of 15"+ ceramic magnets. Not going to happen on a budget.

Most bass amps will support it, but don't expect the low B fundamental to be ringing loud and clear.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1