Poll: How do you feel about gun rights?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you feel about gun rights?
Yes! I want guns
189 48%
No get rid of them
207 52%
Voters: 396.
Page 1 of 8
yeah its been done before but not for a while, anyway whats your views on gun laws? should we have them or not? personally I feel that we should for self defence and hunting hows the pit feel?
Poll options are so vague.

I want guns to start up the Fredpocalypse.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I really don't see the need for them (except for police officers). That said I don't think it would be a good idea to get rid of them unless the whole country makes a very serious effort because if we just simply get rid of them, some criminals may still be in possesion of them or they might get their hands on them later on and then what? We're f*cked.
I dont like the idea of some "gangster" walking around london with a gun.. its quite an eery thought imo..

I think we should keep it as it is: no guns plz.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

take away registered guns from honest people and the only people who will have them are criminals with illegal guns.
I don't think the government should be able to ban our rights to bear arms, however I would be in support of stricter legislation and enforcement of gun controls and the processes you have to go through to acquire and maintain a firearm.
Civillian ownership of guns is necessary for democracy.

Quote by will123456789
I dont like the idea of some "gangster" walking around london with a gun.. its quite an eery thought imo..

I think we should keep it as it is: no guns plz.

anti-gun laws really don't stop those types of people from getting guns.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by therealtater
yeah its been done before but not for a while, anyway whats your views on gun laws? should we have them or not? personally I feel that we should for self defence and hunting hows the pit feel?

You think you need guns to defend yourself? have you ever been broken into? have you every actually needed a gun to defend yourself?
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
I forget where, but there was this group that got kids to trade in their toy guns for better toys.

I thought it was a cool idea.
Quote by metaldud536
I really don't see the need for them (except for police officers). That said I don't think it would be a good idea to get rid of them unless the whole country makes a very serious effort because if we just simply get rid of them, some criminals may still be in possesion of them or they might get their hands on them later on and then what? We're f*cked.

i'll agree with you metaldud...not just because you're cool, but because you're right
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

I have never agreed with civilians being able to carry firearms. Any bloody fool can pull a trigger and kill someone. And also correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that you can walk into a gun store and simply buy a gun? This I certainly don't agree with if there was some kind of mandatory firearms and awareness training it wouldn't be so bad. But this is just my opinion, civilians aren't allowed to carry firearms here anyway, so I have no idea what it's like over in America where citizens can.
I don't think the state and the police should be armed while the citizens are not. Gun Control is how governments disarm the people.
Quote by Julz127
You think you need guns to defend yourself? have you ever been broken into? have you every actually needed a gun to defend yourself?

I've deterred a would be burglar with a shotgun before, they really are practical for defending yourself.

Quote by COBGage
I have never agreed with civilians being able to carry firearms. Any bloody fool can pull a trigger and kill someone. And also correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that you can walk into a gun store and simply buy a gun? This I certainly don't agree with if there was some kind of mandatory firearms and awareness training it wouldn't be so bad. But this is just my opinion, civilians aren't allowed to carry firearms here anyway, so I have no idea what it's like over in America where citizens can.

You can buy rifles and shotguns if you pass a criminal/psychological background check, you need a permit to get a handgun, and one of the requirements for the permit is a safety course.

Last.fm
Quote by Julz127

As a matter of fact yes and I have had to shoot at thieves before
Quote by COBGage

You have to pass a gun safety test, fill out paper work then get a background check done before you buy a gun
Quote by COBGage
It's not that easy. I don't know the exact procedures but you have to wait at least a week and they'll perform a criminal background check. They don't just hand out guns to anyone, but it probably isn't too difficult to acquire one.
I love guns. If they take the guns away from the law abiding citizens then they have nothing to protect themselves with from the criminals who are getting their guns illegally.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Quote by andOverTheHills
i'll agree with you metaldud...not just because you're cool, but because you're right

I got more ideas! We could get rid of recreational hunting too. That way we can control species population better. But instead of having recreational hunting we can create a new job market in hunting where you can get employed for a food manufacturing company as long as you have a clean record and have taken classes in fire arm management/use. Think of the innocent animals we'll save that die but don't get used for much but house decorations.
Gun control is the first sign of a totalitarian regime taking over. We want a government thats afraid of the people, not the people who are afraid of the government.
There's a huge grey area between no guns and buy all the guns you want and wonder around with them.
Quote by Julz127

It's happened to a number of people that I know. It's not likely, but it does happen.

I don't own a gun, I've never shot one, nor do I have any desire to. That being said, I do support some gun rights. I do however think that people with unregistered firearms should be seriously punished.

Some one already mentioned what is in my opinion the best point, that only honest people would give up there guns if they were banned, leaving only the more dangerous people armed.
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I've deterred a would be burglar with a shotgun before, they really are practical for defending yourself.

I really dislike the self-defense law's over here. I've heard of people protecting their family and possessions from intruders and having the intruders filling lawsuits against the defenders...
Quote by COBGage
I really dislike the self-defense law's over here. I've heard of people protecting their family and possessions from intruders and having the intruders filling lawsuits against the defenders...

that happens here sometimes too, although a lot of the time it gets thrown out, unless the person defending used excessive force, or shot the robber as they tried to flee.

Last.fm
The US constitution garrantees gun rights and the right of a citizen to began a militia to eliminate a foreign or domestic threat. And so you don't say that it's the "states right to have a militia"; A MILITIA IS A CIVILIAN ARMY THAT IS PRIVATELY FUNDED. The National Guard is not a militia, because it is publicly funded.
Quote by therealtater
If you break into someones house and they are trained with thier gun, how are you going to file a lawsuit?

happens somewhat often, although the burglar usually loses.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
You can buy rifles and shotguns if you pass a criminal/psychological background check, you need a permit to get a handgun, and one of the requirements for the permit is a safety course.

Oh please, background checks do shit, that guy who did the Virginia Tech shootings had a background check that somehow failed to throw up his psychological problems when buying the guns he used to do the shootings.

I firmly believe that guns are not needed by civilians, there are better ways to defend yourself if you have to. Ways that aren't designed explicitly to kill.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ifeastonbums
It's happened to a number of people that I know. It's not likely, but it does happen.

I don't own a gun, I've never shot one, nor do I have any desire to. That being said, I do support some gun rights. I do however think that people with unregistered firearms should be seriously punished.

Some one already mentioned what is in my opinion the best point, that only honest people would give up there guns if they were banned, leaving only the more dangerous people armed.

Why should guns even require registration, if the government wants to outlaw guns, it just makes them easier to take it, it won't help in catching criminals. The Guns Gang members and other criminals are either stolen or purchased from a person who steals them. Regristration of firearms is a violation of privacy, the government doesn't need to know if I own guns or not, it's a wrong as property or income taxes.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I firmly believe that guns are not needed by civilians, there are better ways to defend yourself if you have to. Ways that aren't designed explicitly to kill.

But how do you defend yourself from a gun? Aha! Press up-down-A-A-B-X for infinite health?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Oh please, background checks do shit, that guy who did the Virginia Tech shootings had a background check that somehow failed to throw up his psychological problems when buying the guns he used to do the shootings.

Because criminals cant get guns and harm you or your family with them just because they are illegal
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

They don't always work, but they do quite a bit of the time, the fact is no matter where you are in the world, if you really want a gun you can probably get one.

and why don't you name some of these magical self defense methods against armed assailants.

Last.fm
some of you guys have the laws in USA a little. 'off'. in order to buy a gun, you must have a backround check, this includes - no prior felonies, mental disorders, those types of things. and you can buy a shotgun and rifle at 18, but must be 21 to purchase a pistol. if you want to carry a pistol at all times, you have to take a course, get a permit, and have the weapon concealed at all times. but there are certain places you cannot take a concealed weapon. banks obviously, and some other rule that i forgot about where you can carry it. um. so far thats the main stuff. any other questions?
Member of the Nick Grundy group

Creator of The American Bass Fishing Group <join it if you like to fish
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Reading through this thread I have sort of changed my opinion, the Americans of the thread seem to be in support of guns, and the British seem to be against them. But there seems to be advantages and disadvantages to both, what I believe however is that if it where reversed and the UK got civilian access to firearms, and the Americans had their access taken away, I imagine both would become pretty fucked up.

Quote by u.s.m.c.to-be
some of you guys have the laws in USA a little. 'off'. in order to buy a gun, you must have a backround check, this includes - no prior felonies, mental disorders, those types of things. and you can buy a shotgun and rifle at 18, but must be 21 to purchase a pistol. if you want to carry a pistol at all times, you have to take a course, get a permit, and have the weapon concealed at all times. but there are certain places you cannot take a concealed weapon. banks obviously, and some other rule that i forgot about where you can carry it. um. so far thats the main stuff. any other questions?

Ah I thought I had my fact's wrong, I was under the impression that any person could walk into a gun store and buy a handgun, with no questions asked, seems a little silly now that I think about it, but I guess thats what negative media does.
Last edited by COBGage at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by Julz127

Armed robbery is a very real crime in this country, it does happen. So, yes, the self defense argument is valid... whether you want to admit it or not. Also... what about hunters? There are people who prefer to get meat the old fashioned way. The idea of taking guns away from responsible citizens in order to stop crime is just ridiculous. It is notions like that one that give weight to the phrase "Liberalism is a mental disorder."
Quote by u.s.m.c.to-be

Actually, it varies widely by state, you only have to be 18 to own a handgun here, but you have to be 21 (and have a permit) carry one concealed on your person.

Last.fm