For the C Sharp in Seven Nation Army I have a Standard tuner and I don't know how to get it. Should I just try it by ear?
Seven Nation Army is in A.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
push down the first fret and tune it do D
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by V.U.K

That's helpful, thanks.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by handlerb
That's helpful, thanks.

Just to be clear, you are being sarcastic, right?
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I know that it is A I mean the B string when you tune it to C# how do you do that with a standard tuner?
Last edited by Knowing at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by V.U.K

No. Fail. Maybe Am, but not A. I don't know what it would technically be but it has the notes of Am, C, Em and G (and maybe some others).
Given the predominant E, I'd say it's Em, but it could be Am.

Quote by Knowing
I know that it is A I mean the B string when you tune it to C# how do you do that?

Why on Earth would you tune the B string to C#? That's just asking for it to break. Besides, it's pointless. Just play it in standard tuning.

Oh, after reading the first tab for it, I realize that it is played in open A. Still, I see no need to tune it to open A.
Last edited by food1010 at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by Knowing
I know that it is A I mean the B string when you tune it to C# how do you do that?

Oh, lol. Assuming your E string isn't tuned down, then play the 9th fret on it and match up the same thing on the b string until it sounds the same, except an octave down.

Terrible wording, I know.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Quote by food1010
No. Fail. Maybe Am, but not A. I don't know what it would technically be but it has the notes of Am, C, Em and G (and maybe some others).
Given the predominant E, I'd say it's Em, but it could be Am.

Why on Earth would you tune the B string to C#? That's just asking for it to break. Besides, it's pointless. Just play it in standard tuning.

I meant tuning, not key.

Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

i am 100% percent sure that Seven Nation Army is in Em
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by spiff389
i am 100% percent sure that Seven Nation Army is in Em

Question: What makes it in Em instead of Am, G, or C?
Quote by food1010

He probably saw it somewhere and decided to put it up here. That's my guess, considering he has no reasoning for it.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Quote by food1010

Oh, after reading the first tab for it, I realize that it is played in open A. Still, I see no need to tune it to open A.

I think Jack White uses either open E Major or E Minor Tuning on the song.
Quote by food1010

G is the relative major of Em, but the entire song is "based" around the pitch E, if you know what I mean. And there's an F# in the B chord, which detracts from the possibility of the song being in Am or C.

And the song is tuned to Open A, but I do it in Open G.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by RG_FANMAN
I think Jack White uses either open E Major or E Minor Tuning on the song.

E Major/Minor aren't tunings. They're keys.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Quote by V.U.K
E Major/Minor aren't tunings. They're keys.

Familiarize yourself.

Jack's known for being a wacko, so it's not too out there to think he'd tune to Em or another less common open tuning. But no, "Seven Nation Army" is tuned to Open A. At least, as played by Jack, it is.
oh yea, open A. I knew that the E A and D strings were tuned E A E but that was about it...although now come to think of it, the tunings I said wouldn't have had the lowest strings tuned that way...my bad.
Quote by Flying Couch
And there's an F# in the B chord, which detracts from the possibility of the song being in Am or C.

thank you sir!

Quote by V.U.K
He probably saw it somewhere and decided to put it up here. That's my guess, considering he has no reasoning for it.

and I do know what i'm talking about, i've been playing music for 14/19 years of my life. i know my stuff, so back off.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Last edited by spiff389 at Dec 6, 2008,
standard tuning was invented and the most widely used because it is the simplist and the best. if you ever feel the need to untune your guitar you have contracted the serious illness of ignorance syndrome
Here lies a problem that most guitar players face in this day of internet tab and short attention spans — they don't know how to express themselves.

-Nick Layton
Quote by whoisthisguy
standard tuning was invented and the most widely used because it is the simplist and the best. if you ever feel the need to untune your guitar you have contracted the serious illness of ignorance syndrome

Quote by whoisthisguy

Though I primarily use E and Eb Standard, you, sir, are crazy. Standard tuning is a ridiculous way to tune an instrument in comparison to open tunings.
Quote by V.U.K

Lol what? Its in E minor.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by whoisthisguy

You can't play with a slide in standard... Well you can, but it will sound nowhere near as good. And musicians are supposed to be open minded, alternate tunings can be very interesting and provide different sound capabilities, if you want to be ignorant go do it by yourself.