Page 1 of 2
Hi gang,
Here is my tale of woe. I am a 17 year old boy trapped in a 68 year old's body. I have been trying to learn Guitar my entire life but with absolutely no luck. I have been through teachers and books and DVD's like flies through sticky paper. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I just can't get it. Coordination, mental capacity, I don't know. I want to learn desperately. Should I just hang it up or is there still hope? I want your opinion, and don't be delicate, I have been through a war, cancer and 25 years as a law enforcement officer. So, I can pretty much handle anything, most definiteley come ahead with your honest opinion.
Thank you,
Stumble
How can you be trapped inside a 68 yr old body ?

Like... Damn dude that sucks.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
As long as you are physically capable of playing a guitar, I would say to keep practicing. You may not get as good as some people, but as long as you enjoy it, stick with it.
Quote by Fujita
maybe you should try the bass

generally i think the bass i harder because of all of the different techniques invovles in playing

and to answer your question i dont think its to late
you should just start out playing scales ALOT, once you know those backwards and forward start learning a few chords then move on to simple songs and then progress from there learning harder and harder songs
get a teacher if you think you have to
Quote by smb
Further proof, if proof were needed, that Bill Gates planned 9/11 with Elvis.
Well, it takes years of practice. I've been playing for about a year and still can't play full songs(mostly due to short attention span)

I first learned simple song intros like smoke on the water, cat scratch fever, and sunshine of your love. Then I moved on to Dust in the wind, took me awhile but I got it down. THen I moved to stairway to heaven. Then I just started practicing more and more... Scales and chords are key.

Just keep practicing. Things take time, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Everyone learns at a different pace, never give up, just see it through.
How old is too old? When your six feet under, that's how old is too old. Definately go for it and learn, and who cares if your not good, as long as your having fun, that's all that really maters.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
There is no such thing as 'too old'. Music is something that can be accessed across all age groups. My own father is 58 and one of the best rhythm guitar players in our county, and i know many other 50+ players. Do not give up.
I am an officially ordained Dudist Priest.

"Human beings are miraculous for their ability to learn and adapt from their mistakes, but even more so for their apparent disinclination to do so." Douglas Adams
On "the next great american band" on fox awhile back i saw this guy that couldnt play some instrument i think it was the drums, so he played the drums on a keyboard. And you could do it with the guitar.
Theres that, i know its not the same thing.

But to answer your question i say never give up.
Quote by Peow
Well, it takes years of practice. I've been playing for about a year and still can't play full songs(mostly due to short attention span)

I first learned simple song intros like smoke on the water, cat scratch fever, and sunshine of your love. Then I moved on to Dust in the wind, took me awhile but I got it down. THen I moved to stairway to heaven. Then I just started practicing more and more... Scales and chords are key.

Uhm....guys.... I'm pretty sure he is the 68 year old guy. You remind me of my dad.
Hey, Paul McCartney is 66 I believe. He's not too old. There is no too old. Like I recently said about the Joe Satriani Comments. He's 52, thats not old. Thats half of a hundred. People live up to a hundred if you are healthy. You have a lot of life left and should continue to play. Yeah maybee not like Buckethead and 8 finger tab and play 28 nps... but rhythm is fun. Just learn lots of Bob Dylan!
just keep playing, you'll find you way, 'never stop' is what someone said to me, i can play pretty diverse stuff soo iuno maybe just try differenet style of guitar?
It may take longer for you than a 15 year old, but there's no reason you can't learn to play and enjoy yourself while doing it. A lot of great jazz, classical and blues players are still playing into their 80's, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to pick it up.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
"Pssst, ditch the weed dude, there's a cop in the forum"

I couldn't resist once I read your post and found out you've been in law enforcement for 25 yrs.

So, you've tried and tried and still fail at playing guitar? I bet ya haven't tried everything tho.
I've struggled with guitaring in the past too, and even today, I'm certainly no prodigy or even a pro. I'm a lefty you see, and for one, guitars are sort of hard to come by, for another most all chord charts are backwards for me. But I get by.
A huge part of learning at your age is to set for yourself realistic goals. I'm a few yrs. your junior at 46, but just the same, my fingers aren't as fast moving as they used to be. So, set a goal of learning say the CAGED chords by maybe, Valentines day 2009. That's actually only 2 months away, but these chords are the basis for MANY songs, a lot of which might use only 3 of these chords. By the way, these are just offhand suggestions for you, nothing really substantial since I have no idea what you know or what your current level is. Can you strum a clean G chord? Is your guitar easy for you to play? Do you have time to dedicate to learning? It certainly sounds like you have the desire and the drive, maybe you just need a push in the right direction?
Anyhow, I'd be more than happy to help you along. I'm sure there's others on here that would be just as willing and able to do the same. Feel free to pm me if you've got other specific questions.
You're never too old. Trust me. You may not become famous, but you can still play. There is no age limit on the guitar.
I think 100 is probably too old, anyone younger than that with a desire to learn should stick with it.
Stick with it! If you have the desire, there are a million ways to learn! Heck, Jerry garcia had to relearn to play after he came back from his coma.

What type of music do you want to play? What do you find to be the limiting factor in your learning?

If you find it's mental, don't be afraid to play with the music/tab/chord sheet in front of you, to remind you of where to go next. Not quite the same, but even Rush uses prompters to remind them of lyrics during their shows.

If you find it's physical, and not being able to properly fret chords and such, you can always learn to play in an open tuning, which basically has the guitar tuned to a chord.

Also, a good set-up from a local tech can help. At times they can make guitars that even the best players have problems with play much easier.

Good luck, and keep trying!
Gear

95 Gibson LP Std
91 Fender Am Std Strat
Peavey Wolfgang Special (USA)

Fender Blues Jr.
Johnson JM120

Vox Tonelab LE
Get yourself a decent teacher - ask around and get recommendations. And if you don't feel like its working try a different teacher! Might be worth asking your local schools/colleges what peripetetic (however you spell it) guitar teachers they use/recommend. Don't give up! I'm a little way behind you - started at 34 and love it A good teacher makes a HUGE difference though.
at the shop i worked at, we had people your age and older coming in regularly for lessons.

try to find a teacher that'll teach you the same type of music you want to play. want to play elvis type rock or whatever? find a teacher that is well versed in that sorta genre

you'll always learn something far quicker if you're learning the stuff you want to pick up.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I just saw an 83 year old BB King playing pretty damn well (when he wasn't wasting lots of time rambling on about whatever) so if an 83 year old can play at top notch level I think a 68 year old should be able to strum some chords and whatnot
Quote by the_baker
generally i think the bass i harder because of all of the different techniques invovles in playing

and to answer your question i dont think its to late
you should just start out playing scales ALOT, once you know those backwards and forward start learning a few chords then move on to simple songs and then progress from there learning harder and harder songs
get a teacher if you think you have to

That was funny.

Anyways, Bass has a lot of techniques like sweeping, popping, slapping, and etc but guitar has a lot more techniques that could be learn. Bass can be a hard instrument and so can guitar but when it comes to the most extreme technique of both, I think guitar hands is a lot harder.
Last edited by The ZenOfShred at Dec 7, 2008,
Why hasn't anyone brought up the great Les Paul?
He's in his 90s and that old bastard still shreds the hell outta me!
You are never too old. Period. I played guitar for many many years, and three years ago switched to bass. I am now in 3 groups and having more fun playing music than I ever did in my teens and twenties.

Go for it.
Age is not a factor. You either love it or you dont.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
I don't think someone can be too old to play a musical instrument. Just get a teacher and practise.
^ Could he have been in law enforcement for 25 yrs. if he was only 17?
Quote by stumble fingers
Hi gang,
Here is my tale of woe. I am a 17 year old boy trapped in a 68 year old's body. I have been trying to learn Guitar my entire life but with absolutely no luck. I have been through teachers and books and DVD's like flies through sticky paper. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I just can't get it. Coordination, mental capacity, I don't know. I want to learn desperately. Should I just hang it up or is there still hope? I want your opinion, and don't be delicate, I have been through a war, cancer and 25 years as a law enforcement officer. So, I can pretty much handle anything, most definiteley come ahead with your honest opinion.
Thank you,
Stumble

I absolutely love your name.
Well first off, I'm 17 myself just like you. I've been playing guitar for a little over a year now. I'm considerably better than I was some time ago but like you (and I still do) I feel like I have very little capacity for guitar. Well, telling this to myself as well, it's just not true. As long as you're not literally 68, your brain has room to learn. Just challenge yourself a little more every time. Pick up harder songs to cover and force yourself to play them properly until you've got the muscle memory of a pro.
Quote by Kwonnie
I absolutely love your name.
Well first off, I'm 17 myself just like you. I've been playing guitar for a little over a year now. I'm considerably better than I was some time ago but like you (and I still do) I feel like I have very little capacity for guitar. Well, telling this to myself as well, it's just not true. As long as you're not literally 68, your brain has room to learn. Just challenge yourself a little more every time. Pick up harder songs to cover and force yourself to play them properly until you've got the muscle memory of a pro.

So by your rekoning, since he is actually 68, his brain can't learn anything new because it's full now? I've not seen a more ignorant statement in these threads in quite some time. You seriously need to do some growing up and learning yourself before posting such rubbish.
And yes, the TS is literally 68. Re-read his post. 25 yrs as a cop! The man is (most likely) retired, has a ton of spare time on his hands, and want's to persue guitaring again, and it's been one of his lifes dreams to do so. Kudo's to him for wanting to do it I say.
for you for being so ignorant of peoples abilities.
Quote by Peow

+1
Sounds like you need some serious focus. After all these years either you are better than you are giving yourself credit for, or you just arent really applying yourself properly.

I say either get a teacher, or find some musicans to "hang" around.

Having a burning desire to do something, but doing it incorrectly isnt going to get you very far.

And for the record people Mr. Stumble is NOT 17 yrs old.....
Quote by The ZenOfShred

That was funny.

Anyways, Bass has a lot of techniques like sweeping, popping, slapping, and etc but guitar has a lot more techniques that could be learn. Bass can be a hard instrument and so can guitar but when it comes to the most extreme technique of both, I think guitar hands is a lot harder.

After playing guitar for a long time?
You're just gonna switch over and it'll be easy?

Incorrect.

Keep goin' man. You'll get it.
Quote by J.Bass.M

I don't care about the f***ing radius of the f***ing inlay.
****.. That there just made me soft. I don't even think i'll live to 68! Y'know what. Keep practicing, i promise you, just put your passion into it, and since i presume that you are on retired by now, alot of time aswell.

It will pay off. Just don't quit - don't give up. Maybe you could get yourself a teacher, and really practice whatever the teacher gives.

Thumbs up!

Theres nothing cooler than an oldtimer playing music. You'll rock, don't worry.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
My dad is 55 and he's learning. When you are older it just takes longer. Get used to chords and don't expect a lot out of yourself.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Page 1 of 2