Page 1 of 4
This might be a little long. Well...theres this kid in my school who is severely depressed, has a therapist, and has been to a mental ward. He cuts himself. He is on medicine though, but it isn't helping...

It started not THAT bad, and it started about a month ago. But not, its all over his left arm and now hes going to his legs. Hes not the average emo person. He's probably considered popular in school and stuff, has some friends(though his best friend recently is treating him like total ****). He said it started with that and family problems.

I didn't totally understand his cutting, didnt know what it did. Stupid me is the most anxious/curious person in the world and have some depression(sometimes)and anxiety. I took a pencil sharpener, broke it open, and unscrewed the blade. I just wanted to try it once to see what it felt like. I put a VERY small(didnt want it to hurt), non bleeding cut on my hand. I just sat there saying, I really dont see the point of this. I ended up putting 3 more small ones next to it, but it still felt the same I was confused.

But I was still curious for some reason. When I was about to go to sleep I threw away the razor because I knew I didnt want to get addicted or something.

The next day the curiousity came back, I found another pencil sharpener and cut my leg up a little, not that hard, but harder, and it left a darker red mark. It didnt hurt like I expect, I cant explain how it felt...I got scared though, I could tell it actually made me feel better, and I really did NOT want to start cutting, I threw that blade away again...

The next day, I went crazy trying to find a blade, and when I finally found one, I went to the spot on my leg and cut a tab bit harder. This blade was more sharp though, and it cut enough to start bleeding like a cut. I noticed, it really did feel different that time, but I was scared as ****. First of all, I know it takes a while, but it was like 5 minutes and it was still bleeding. I knew this was not something I wanted to keep doing.

I finally threw all pencil sharpeners in the house away and the blade I used. I felt relieved that I was done(though I was still curious/starting to get addicted). It was really weird. I now understood how he felt though. after a day and a half, I felt my normal self again. Thank god I didnt keep going even though somewhere inside me I wanted to.

the next day, when I saw the kid in school though, he told me he wanted to kill himself. He said hed rather be dead than alive. he wasnt depressed then for any reason he said, he just was. He said he was going to use sleeping pills sometime before he graduates(I hope he wont). Now that I knew a LITTLE about what he went through, I really want to help him. Is it possible that his medicine is having a side effect making him scuicidle and more depressed???

what should I do?
firstly: wow?!

secondly: usually when people say they want to kill themselves, they are attention seeking twats. my best friend did like a month ago.. i believed him at first, but realised it was bull****.
If he really did want to kill himself, he wouldnt be telling anyone, he would be doing it descretely, like not eating etc. my sisters friend nearly did kill herself- and these were the preliminary warning signs.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

this kid is different. there is an attention seeker in our school that everyone hates. And he only told me, he tells me more stuff because I dont make fun of him here.

and I just noticed(dumb to just notice...)that this was the wrong place to ask, so Ima delete this thread :P
He probably wants attention. Talk to him.

EDIT: Maybe he doesn't want attention. Maybe he wants help. Talk to him either way. A friend can help out in bad times more than you think.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Last edited by Aaron0612 at Dec 5, 2008,
Well, from experience... You better tell someone. If he kills himself, you will blame yourself every single day of your life for not doing something.

Good luck though.
you people are all sickening and disgusting.

That kid obviously has problems, and yes anti depressents can actually make depression worse and lead to suicidal thoughts. OP you should have immediatly gone to someone and told an authority who could have taken action.

And, your a ****ing idiot "for wanting to try it out".

But seriously, tell someone who can do something for that kid, NOW.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Usually when people threaten to kill themselves and give a deadline (in your case, graduation) it's a cry for help. You need to tell somebody in a postion to deal with him. Your school counsellor is a good place to start.

Your friend may hate you for doing it but it's better to lose your friend because he's mad at you and alive with a chance to set things right than to lose him because he's dead.
XIAOXI
Last edited by Abunai X at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by 1crazyboy7
this kid is different. there is an attention seeker in our school that everyone hates. And he only told me, he tells me more stuff because I dont make fun of him here.

and I just noticed(dumb to just notice...)that this was the wrong place to ask, so Ima delete this thread :P

WTF is wrong with you? HES ON MEDICATION AND HAS A THERAPIST, HES NOT AN ATTENTION SEEKER (unless its for some sort of human compassion) HE ACTUALLY HAS ****ING PROBLEMS.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

how do you have that many pencil sharpeners?!?!!?

also, i would try talking to him more about it, try and see if you can find out what is making him depressed. also, ask him about talking to a counselor, or ask a counselor about an "anonymous friend" (dont name his name right away) and see what they say.
It's really easy to say that suicide is "the coward's way out," but the truth is, you can never really understand what somebody goes through before they commit suicide. It's not fair to lable them "weak" or "cowardly" because nobody can truly ever know what went through their head. Sometimes, things just go so wrong that it becomes nearly impossible to imagine them getting any worse, and sometimes people make the mistake of killing themselves based on an impusle, a mistake that is unfortunately their last. I think to call someone those words is more cowardly than anything a suicide victim ever did.
Quote by 1crazyboy7
*wall of text*
Anti-depressants are known to increase thoughts of suicide in people (especially teens). It's written in the warnings on basically every single one of them (MAOI, tricyclic, ssri's).

I didn't understand cutting for a long time. I later realized that it's done for the same reason a lot of addicts use drugs. It's not attempted suicide or crap like that, it's a way to feel a little better; the physical pain is relaxing for all the mental pain. It's really weird but true.

Anywho, try to make friends with the kid. Don't try to be all needy and shit. I hate people like that. Just casually try to make friends and if he ever brings it up or something, tell/show him you understand what he's going through too.

Edit: I hope the jackasses in this thread get warned so the actual replies can be known. Threads like this that are serious (a kid wants to kill himself and TS wants to help) should actually be taken seriously. Grow the fuck up, people.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Dec 5, 2008,
dude

friend did this
hes dead now
call someone now, you will regret it for the rest of your life if you knew you could stop it and you didnt
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Quote by kaosfire
WTF is wrong with you? HES ON MEDICATION AND HAS A THERAPIST, HES NOT AN ATTENTION SEEKER (unless its for some sort of human compassion) HE ACTUALLY HAS ****ING PROBLEMS.

That is a type of attention that he wants, he want's people to sympathize with him, make him feel like a victim.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

*agree with Powerhouse
CircleTakesTheSquare

Somewhere out there there's a thrill I swear.

ESP LTD MH-400
Fender amp 65w with DSP
LINE 6 UBER METAL
Quote by RPotts
That is a type of attention that he wants, he want's people to sympathize with him, make him feel like a victim.

but what if thats not true? why risk it?

if thats the case, give the kid his fricken attention, if its not, save his life
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by Powerhouse
It's really easy to say that suicide is "the coward's way out,"

I know, it takes balls of steel to successfully perform a shotgun mouthwash.
Quote by RPotts

Agreed. A lot of kids who kill themselves never really show many signs, and they never cut themselves. They just snapped one day.

And I think it's more sad that scene kids have made a trend out of a serious issue. Now you can't even tell who has the real problems and who is a fake. I really feel bad for the true emotional people who get ignored because some scene kid is whining because he left his iPod at home or something. I have no sympathy for those kind of poeple.

Now I'm making no sense.

If you want to ignore my scene kid rant, okey dokey. I'll just repeat: talk to the guy.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Quote by RPotts

He's not thinking right. Of course he wants someone to sympathize with him. What's wrong with that if it saves his life?
XIAOXI
Last edited by Abunai X at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by RPotts

Holy ****, do you understand depression?

You want someone, ANYONE, to show you that you matter in even the smallest way in the world.

Hes been hospitalized, been to therapy, and is on medication, , WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU DISMISS THIS SITUATION?

Ive been depressed before, still dealing with it actually, and you reach out in ways that normally youd think stupid or even irrational.

Its true that when people say they are going to kill themselves that they are crying out for help. Depression left untreated can EASILY down a hugely destructive path.

A big thing to look out for is exactly like OP said, hes suddenly acting normal, but still saying things. that is a HUGE warning sign.

The most dangerous one is when a depressed person declares that "nobody cares" its a huge sign that the person has made a decision.

Dont be so quick to dissmiss peoples problems.
Quote by Primus2112

Quote by kaosfire

You want someone, ANYONE, to show you that you matter in even the smallest way in the world.

i hate to nit-pick, i really do, but that is for more common cases of depression. sometimes, depression can set in when the person has all the attention they could want/need. so, that (the feeling as though no one pays attention/cares about you) is the more typical type of depression.

like i said, i dont mean to nit-pick, but that bothered me for some reason.
Quote by A Bad Guitarist
I know, it takes balls of steel to successfully perform a shotgun mouthwash.

I bet your mommy and daddy bought the computer you're using, right?
Talk to him, it will really help. I had a kid last year, I total jock so it caught me of guard, tell me his real mom died and then his foster mother died and he was dead serious. I could tell by the way he told me. I just talked to him, I could relate having lost my dad, seemed to help. I still hang out with him.
Quote by kaosfire

Hes been hospitalized, been to therapy, and is on medication, , WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU DISMISS THIS SITUATION?

Ive been depressed before, still dealing with it actually, and you reach out in ways that normally youd think stupid or even irrational.

Its true that when people say they are going to kill themselves that they are crying out for help. Depression left untreated can EASILY down a hugely destructive path.

A big thing to look out for is exactly like OP said, hes suddenly acting normal, but still saying things. that is a HUGE warning sign.

The most dangerous one is when a depressed person declares that "nobody cares" its a huge sign that the person has made a decision.

Dont be so quick to dissmiss peoples problems.
Being someone with depression, I noticed I hate attention. I don't want people to try and sympathize with me. I fucking hate taking medicine every morning (that's why a lot of days I don't even take it). I never liked going to my psychologist's or psychiatrists. I don't like any bit of it. That's just me though.

Quote by Skierinanutshel
i hate to nit-pick, i really do, but that is for more common cases of depression. sometimes, depression can set in when the person has all the attention they could want/need. so, that (the feeling as though no one pays attention/cares about you) is the more typical type of depression.

like i said, i dont mean to nit-pick, but that bothered me for some reason.
Which explains why "stars" go crazy, get addicted to drugs, and do dumb crap.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Being someone with depression, I noticed I hate attention. I don't want people to try and sympathize with me. I fucking hate taking medicine every morning (that's why a lot of days I don't even take it). I never liked going to my psychologist's or psychiatrists. I don't like any bit of it. That's just me though.

Exactly, like every disease or illness the symptoms can be different for everyone.

I became distant and withdrawn, people see me as angry. Really what I want is someone to care, not just talk, but genuinely care about me.

So yea, it differs, but it sickens me to see so many dissmissive and "humourous" posts. I know its the pit but sometimes serious advice is needed.

Funny how things would be alot more serious if I started joking about dimebag being killed.
Quote by Primus2112

guys sorry, but can we get back on this kid?

TS, contact someone immediatly
the hotline that my school uses is 1-800-SECONDFLOOR

its supposedly immediate help if its needed
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by kaosfire

Funny how things would be alot more serious if I started joking about dimebag being killed.

Mbawww, you made a reference to a dead guitarist. Meh, not particularly upsetting.

But seriously, the reason we joke about it is because the INTERWEBS IZ DESENSATIZIN US 2 VIOLENCE.
Quote by A Bad Guitarist
Mbawww, you made a reference to a dead guitarist. Meh, not particularly upsetting.

But seriously, the reason we joke about it is because the INTERWEBS IZ DESENSATIZIN US 2 VIOLENCE.

If I had started a thread just dissing dimebag, people would go ape****.

Does suicide really count as violence?
Quote by Primus2112

I found this:

#Express your concern and ask if they are thinking about suicide
# Don't give up if they're reluctant to talk, let them know you are there to listen
# Ask how long they have felt this way
# Ask if they have thought about how they would do it (not asking for details of a plan)
# Listen
# Don't act shocked or try to change the subject
# Encourage them to tell you how they feel
# Hear them out, don't jump to conclusions or make judgments
# Try to understand how they feel without offering simple solutions Respond
# Be direct, open and honest
# Let them know you care and that they are not alone
# Help them to understand that suicidal feelings pass and depression can be treated

...it seems kinda "common sense-y" but it's worth posting.

Edit:
Quote by Zombee
Depression drugs usually have side-effects of "increased thoughts about suicide"

My first post didn't say this already.

You probably get addicted to the chemicals your body releases when it is cut/injured.

It's a way to cope with mental issues (stress from being so popular / having the pressure that's put on you from being around everyone). There's probably a release of dopamine in the brain too but I don't know.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Dec 5, 2008,
Depression drugs usually have side-effects of "increased thoughts about suicide"

You probably get addicted to the chemicals your body releases when it is cut/injured.
I did that today...
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

,___,
[¬.¬]
/)__)
-"--"-

Quote by FishCream
Stop Performing Meathook Sodomy On Yourself
That sucks.

I wanna kill myself...

*Waits for attention*
Hm..
That's what addictions do to you. Self Harm is like a drug.
That happened to me a long time ago. I slit my knuckle with a pencil sharpener razor I found (not with the intent of cutting) and had the urge to do it again, but I didn't.
I tried it just for shits and giggles once, but I sure didn't get addicted. I just screamed "AHH FCUK!!" and went on with my life. Maybe I did it wrong?

Oh, and whether your friend knows it or not, he needs help.
Feel free to add me on STEAM: thesystemhasfailed
XBL tag: cbiggs18
Page 1 of 4