Just a quick question, can the RAT handle stuff like Hendrix rhythm and lead to a decent level or am I way better going for a muff? The RAT seems pretty versatile I was just wondering if it was able to cover Hendrix, Cream etc well.

Also, general consensus original RAT > RAT 2, is that correct?
Bought a Rat 2, realized it was garbage and is now gathering dust. Using my new shredmaster and enjoying it much better. If you are going to get one though get a vintage rat with the LM308 chip.
The RAT is an awesome pedal, I haven't personally played one in a while, but it gets really nasty (in a good way), it might be able to do some Hendrix, not so sure about the Cream (I assume you mean the "Woman Tone")

And yes the RAT is better than the RAT 2 by a long shot.
Ok cheers, looks like I'd better get a fuzz too at some stage then.
I wasn't too impressed with the Rat I tried, but I'm not sure which version it was, or anything. It sounded really harsh, no matter how I set it, and it was kind of noisy, too. I would recommend a Dunlop Fuzzface or Octavio for what you're playing. A tubescreamer of some sort could be good for rhythms, but I think you might be looking more for a fuzz pedal for leads.
Quote by Marsbe
^ What type of stuff do you play?

Anything that uses a light crunch to heavy distortion. While the RAT isn't technically a fuzz pedal you can dial in some fuzz like tones with it using the filter control at least with my RAT 2 I could although it didn't sound particularly good for me.
Quote by Stickymongoose
I wasn't too impressed with the Rat I tried, but I'm not sure which version it was, or anything. It sounded really harsh, no matter how I set it, and it was kind of noisy, too. I would recommend a Dunlop Fuzzface or Octavio for what you're playing. A tubescreamer of some sort could be good for rhythms, but I think you might be looking more for a fuzz pedal for leads.

Good points, I like the Big Muff Pi, for a Cream like tone, just try some diffrent pedals at a shop.

Also the Fuzz Factory by Zvex is cool but totally insane
When I think Rat I think Smashing Pumpkins for some reason sound wise that is.

The Rat is super is to modify though so you can easily tweak it for your own tastes.
Quote by kurtlives91
When I think Rat I think Smashing Pumpkins for some reason sound wise that is.

The Rat is super is to modify though so you can easily tweak it for your own tastes.

what? Smashing Pumpkins is like THE Big Muff Pi tone.

Although I love the Rat, I think you'd be better off with a Big Muff for Hendrix type stuff.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Thanks for the input everyone, I was leaning towards the RAT for that really dirty Pink Floyd solo tone but if it can't really handle more conventional Hendrix solos then I'll look into the Muff.