What are some tips for jamming with only a Drummer? (just bass and drums)

I haven't done it much, but I know it will improve my bass playing.

But yeah, any tips on what to do/other stuff is appreciated.

Thanks.

BTW I have a brutal amp, like 15 watts.

Am I screwed over?
Quote by Enyab
What are some tips for jamming with only a Drummer? (just bass and drums)

I haven't done it much, but I know it will improve my bass playing.

But yeah, any tips on what to do/other stuff is appreciated.

Thanks.

Am I screwed over?

Not if you really crank it. Ive done it with 10, although I wouldnt recommend it.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
i find that starting spontaneously helps. mostly just work on playing things that compliment eachother dynamically and really listening to eachother. play the same rythms obviously.
Quote by Enyab

Am I screwed over?

Pretty much.

A good wattage to have for a bass amp without stressing it is like 100W.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
Remember you keep the tempo and he drives it. I don't think that amp is sufficient because almost all drummers are deaf pieces of crap, who have to slam on their drums. Make sure you guys use some serious dynamics too.
Ive played with a drummer with a 15 watt. I didnt have that much of a problem playing with him if i turned it up loud. What i like to do is have him play something on drums then i play it on bass or vise versa. Pretty fun. kinda like bring it on home live by zep. But im just not as good.
You'll suck the first few times you jam with a drummer but it gets easier with experience. What you should try to do is form a basic groove over his drum line.
If he's a good drummer then you'll have no problem forming a nice sounding bass line unless you can't.
I would recommend having at least 200W if you're playing with a drummer.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to remember some of those things.

He's a very experienced drummer (like 20+ years)
I have a 15W bass amp and its like right next to my drum set and I've never had to turn it up more than 6 to make it as loud as the kit. Well, fit in with it and a guitar.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Line 6 Spider III 75
Old SG Mock
i played w/ a guitar n drums w/ a 15 watt. it was alright. i would reccomend a larger amp if you can do it
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
As a drummer who is always jamming with my best friend/roommate/awesome bassist, a drum and bass jam is beautiful. Let the bass start a line and than drums follow with a complimenting beat and go with the flow. Look at each other for those unspoken gesture of a change up. A jam is a strange thing where you can only feel the music, and it is a mental connection between those who are jamming. It will come naturally.
You should both try to keep a pretty steady pattern

The drummers I know tend to play something different every single time
and often like to change things up midway through a bar

Basically, make sure you both know how to count and lay something down
perhaps 4 measures of something simple
then change it up for 4
then go back to the something simple
(Helter Skelter? Well, maybe not that simple)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
the durmset and the drummer can affect how loud he is gonna be. my drummer on my guitarist crap drumset is loud and i need at least 50 watts. on the good drums set and its indoors probably 100+ then if its a close to a thousand(not cymbals cause good ones are super expensive) dollar drumset then you would probably need the 200w and if the drummer you know likes to get into the music or likes heavy stuff excpet it to be loud. they can even be loud on light rock. 15w but depending on what you do it shouldnt be that bad. some drummers can play quieter unless they are stupid or drumset gets really really loud.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
If hes really experienced he'll tell you what to watch out for and what to lock in with.

But a few main things are keep in with the Bass drum, the Snare and the Ride/High-hat cymbal.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Depends what style you are doing,

making leads and riffs will sound best I guess...

but you can't really train on that
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Mutant Corn
Basically, you want to make musical love to the drummer's right foot.

Or as Raul said--Bass drum and hi-hats or ride.

Most of the time you should be playing a note (95%) when he or she hits the bass drum.

Other words of wisdom.

1. Park yourself where you can see the drummer. There are going to be physical cues when he is going to change up the beat or go into "fill land". He need to see you as well to judge where you are going with the bass line. A live drummer is not the same as a drum machine; they're unpredictable and variable and that's what makes them so damn fun to play with.

2. When the drummer lays back in to a steady beat, that's your time to shine and solo and work the rhythmic engine. When they go into fills and drum solo land, you need to lay back into a basic repetitive rhythm or riff as well. Otherwise you will sound like a sonic train wreck. For instance when they play something like this you don't want to go into your own bass improv:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWjp7NqNksk

3. Don't fight with the drummer for the beat. Lock with them.