Because most EQs only give you control over bass, mids and treble. EQ pedals give you control from 6 to 10 different bands so you can fine tune your tone.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Some effects sound better with an EQ in front of them and afterwards but an amp only has 1 EQ.
Quote by thsrayas
Because most EQs only give you control over bass, mids and treble. EQ pedals give you control from 6 to 10 different bands so you can fine tune your tone.

well put.

this is what you need to know.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Also lets you change EQ before pedals and some let you store more than one eq setting for quick changes like a "lead" and "rhythm" settings on your amp.
Quote by thsrayas

This. Also it allows you the option of being able to switch to a completely different EQ setting if need be.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Youcan also use it for a volume/level boost which if using a tube amp, adds some gain. some also had a gain boost too.I think every guitar should have one, that way youwont realy have to worry if your getting a new amp with not a whle lot of eq versality.