I am looking for a guitar for my 9 year old daughter. I was told by a local guitar store that the Epiphone Pr-4E was a good choice for a beginner. I want her to have something that will sound pretty good so she doesn't get discouraged but I am on a pretty tight budget. I have also read that the yamaha 700s is a good guitar,however the epiphone comes with alot of extras for the same price. Please give me some advice. Thanks
Quote by skeeter07
I am looking for a guitar for my 9 year old daughter. I was told by a local guitar store that the Epiphone Pr-4E was a good choice for a beginner. I want her to have something that will sound pretty good so she doesn't get discouraged but I am on a pretty tight budget. I have also read that the yamaha 700s is a good guitar,however the epiphone comes with alot of extras for the same price. Please give me some advice. Thanks

its an alright choice. better then any squier or yamaha for the price. any reason for starting off acoustic? whats the budget? ill look for more guitars in your price range?
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

honesty in my opinion, if you don't want her to get discouraged, get her an electric guitar. They are easier to play, more versatile, and sound like the music she most likely listens to. It is a common misconception that beginners should start on acoustic. The string tension is higher and harder to press down/sound clear, and they are hard to wrap around especially for a small person like a 9 year old.

i would suggest a squire starter pack, an ibanez jumpstart pack, or an epiphone les paul pack.

you can see them all at guitarcenter.com. they run about 200 bucks but are worth it. they come with an amp, guitar, strap, picks, tuner, bag, headphones(important too, since acoustic doesn't have a volume knob )

check those out. I really think that electric is a better way to start
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
dont buy a squier starter pack. IMO squiers are the worst guitars you can go with, id go with an epiphone starter pack.

but hes absolutely right. electric is easier to start off on.
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Your best bet would be a Taylor Big Baby. They're a very nice size, and if she doesn't end up sticking with it, it is still a nice guitar for you to play. They are comfortable to play, easy on the fingers, and sound gorgeous. They aren't cheap, but you can find them used sometimes. From an investment standpoint, they are a lot better than other guitars in the under $600 price range.

As far as starting off with an electric, I wouldn't recommend it for younger kids. Electrics are inherently more complicated; they require electricity, there are distracting knobs, and they are loud. There is no real need for an electric unless you are playing with other people.
Last edited by tlt31 at Dec 10, 2008,
Taylor big baby's are very expensive, like pointed out. They are ok, imo. Not amazing.

The biggest concerns with starting at such a young age is that it'll be hard to press down on the strings, like stated already. The other concern is the size. A full sized guitar is quite big for a 9 year old girl.

A smaller guitar like a Parlour sized guitar would probably be good. It's not so small that it'll sound bad, and your daughter can also grow into it as well since it technically still is a full sized guitar. The particular brand and guitar I have in mind is this. They make great guitars(that will be good enough for any beginner to intermediate guitarist) for a relatively cheap price. I've played one myself and it's just the most fun little thing I've ever put my hands on.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I would second the Big Baby. A couple other tricks to consider with it would be to put Silken Steels on it, and maybe have the action set a little lower, maybe 5/64".

Is she going to take private lessons, or play in class with others?

If she is not playing in class with others, another trick is to "detune" the guitar one step.

Instead of E-A-D-G-B-E, D-G-C-F-A-D. You can use a chromatic tuner to do it.

That decreases the tension, so it's easier to work the strings until her fingers "toughen up" a bit.

Chords, and progressions will still sound fine.
My Big Baby is easier to play than my old Squier Strat. It is lighter and more comfortable to play than any electric. If it is still to hard on the fingers, you can always tune down a half step and use a capo on the first fret to still be in E standard. Not to sound argumentative, but the Big Baby's are amazing. All Taylors, including the Big Baby, are quality instruments. The quality control is truly amazing. The necks are the most comfortable to play, and the intonation is always dead on.

A couple big turn offs for starters are:

-comfort
- Cheap guitars are notorious for high action and akward necks. If it hurts to play, a kid isn't going to have fun.

-intonation
-Cheap guitars are also notorious for poor setup and intonation. If chords and scales don't sound correct, your ears will not learn as easily, and sour notes can be discouraging.

-start up time
-People are inherently lazy, especially kids. A big problem with electric guitars is the time it takes to start up every time you want to play. It is just enough to prevent spontaneous practice. Also, being confined to one area can get boring.