i am running my 2006 TSL 60 through an '04 1960A cab. i seem to be having some problems with volume here...

let's clarify my setup:
-head set at 16 ohms into the cab set at 16 ohms mono
-clean EQ >> bass 3 mid 5 treb 7 gain 5

the master volume at:
-3 is fine if i am sitting down in front of the cab.
-5 is fine if i am standing in front with no drums.
-8 is needed to be heard over the drums, but it sacrifices clarity of notes (breakup).

i tried plugging in my GE-7 EQ pedal just to boost the volume. it made a slight, noticeable difference, but the amp still needs to be run at over 5 in order to cut through the bass and drums.

i am very confused with how my 60 watts of tube are not loud enough. what could be the trouble here? i don't know but i assume the tubes are stock.

i am new to tubes here, but i figured i'd get specific to clarify.

thanks!
98 Epiphone Flying V Korina (Gibson '57 Classic and Classic Plus)

BD-2

Sovtek Mig-50
1979 Marshall 1960A (original Greenbacks)
I would try it at 8 ohms and then 4.

See if that makes any difference.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
i thought you couldn't go with high ohms into low ohms.

i can run 8 ohms on my head into 4 ohms in the cab?

EDIT: nvm i have it plugged right i think: 16 into 16.

is it okay for me to run my master volume constantly between 5 and 8? because that's where i needed it to be in order to be loud enough. i just don't want to ruin my (very expensive) amp.

will replacing the tubes and preamps affect volume and/or clarity?

BD-2

Sovtek Mig-50
Last edited by Zaxl_Rose at Dec 6, 2008,
what im saying is run through the 8 on the head, to the 8 on the cab

It may be the output jack on the amp....

EDIT:

No, dont worry about tubes or fuses yet.

I understand its an expensive amp...but its not a ****ing china shop lol They are meant to tour.

And just a question...

WHY are you running 16 ohms?

Any specific reason?
the clean channel is just a little quiet, mines like that too. i gig with my master volume on 6-8, so i wouldn't worry about it.

Quote by Brendan.Clace

And just a question...

WHY are you running 16 ohms?

Any specific reason?

1960a cabs run 4 speakers at either 16 or 4 ohms, and they run stereo at 8 ohms, so if he used the 8 ohm output, he'd only be playing through 2 speakers. TSL60s only run at 16 or 8 ohms
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Last edited by spiff389 at Dec 6, 2008,
Personally, I believe that this has nothing to do with tubes or a fuse.

I believe it has to do with impedance. I have had a TSL and a 1960A cab and it was loud as ****...shook my house.
ok so i have figured out that after 6 on master volume, the clean is nice and loud. my final question is: will running my amp at nearly full master volume damage it? i play a lot of clean guitar, so it will be up there for hours at a time a few days a week.

i'm getting frustrated because it's 60 tube watts...and i thought it was supposed to be ear-splittingly loud, let alone at nearly full volume...

BD-2

Sovtek Mig-50
running it at a high master volume won't damage the amp, it'll just shorten your tube life a bit. i wouldn't worry about it. i've found that my TSL has a much more linear master volume pot than my other tube amps, and i appreciate that about it. 1 sound like 1, and 2 sounds like 2, not 6. nice to see another TSL60 owner on here, btw. I don't think there are that many of us...
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
yeah, its a nice little amp though a bit quieter than i was expecting. thanks for the help!

BD-2

Sovtek Mig-50