Lets discuss exotic sounding bands. I have Sphynx and Emissaries by Melechesh, and Annihilation and Ithyphallic by Nile. I love those 2 bands. Totally different sounding bands.

What do you guys think about their different styles? I find melechesh's lack of more technical solos a little disappointing, but i guess that fits. Nile's chaotic sounding solos really boost the feel of the songs, though.

What about other bands that are like nile or melechesh? absu?
SiKth
behold... the arctopus (warning, not for everyone)
between the buried and me
Last edited by Sever_the_Skull at Dec 6, 2008,
Well that all depends on your definition of exotic. Pain of Salvation have a lot of odd sounding music that incorporates a lot of different styles, sounds, and effects, but it's all blanketed under progressive.

In terms of Melechesh, since they're one of the few bands to come out of their respective area, they might be considered exotic to people that haven't heard a lot of oriental/Arabic sounding music, but as for me (and Shred, I'm guessing?) they just sound like a lot of Arabic songs I've heard on the radio, but heavily distorted and with gutturals.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Yeah, I could never take Melechesh seriously, they sound too much like a parody band of some sort.
Yeah, that's understandable. Elissa does Black Metal
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Salem sucks. Seriously. Their guitar player was pretty good in Lehavoth, but otherwise...
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I love Collective Demise and Necessary Evil, but whatever.

Lykathea Aflame have their fair share of exotic moments as well.
Quote by dminishedthingy
I love Collective Demise and Necessary Evil, but whatever.

Lykathea Aflame have their fair share of exotic moments as well.

There's a line between exotic and technical somewhere ...
Quote by Shred Head
Yeah, I could never take Melechesh seriously, they sound too much like a parody band of some sort.

Uhh, how does one of the best black metal albums of the era sound like a parody?
Quote by Psychopathology
Uhh, how does one of the best black metal albums of the era sound like a parody?

I haven't heard much, but from all I have, they sound too much like - as Firenze said - an oriental band with distortion and growls thrown in, and I've heard far too much of that music to take anything that sounds like it seriously. That's just me though, and I can't stomach very much BM anyway so yeah.
Sounds like you've heard the later albums, but As Jerusalem Burns is far better. Excellent black metal with middle-eastern influenced percussion and guitars.