When playing some metal on the guitar, I get a lot of background noise. If I slow down the tempo a bit, and really concentrate on hitting the right notes (and only the right notes), the background noise goes away and I can hear what I'm trying to play clearly. However, when I turn up the speed it gets messy (and sloppy).

My guess is that either I'm hitting other strings with my hand, my pickups suck, or probably something else.

I'm using a Jackson SL1 soloist with Duncans for pickups. It's also got a floyd rose.

If this is a skill issue, could someone help me in developing a clear tone? I figure metal is the best way to learn, because if I can do it clearly here I can use it to play other genres like blues, rock, and jazz. Develop good technique now rather than later, right?
I mute with my picking hand, to limit the sound to only the string(s) that I am playing. This prevents the other strings from ringing out and cluttering the sound.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
Yeah, if you're getting it slowly but unclear when fast, just practice it and slowly get it up to speed.

If you've got a SL1, I'm 99% your pups don't suck.
I'm pretty sure this comes down to your playing technique. Slowly build up speed and keep the technique clean. It'll come over time.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Metronome, make sure you aren't hitting other strings, your pick hand should be moving over a very small area, make sure every note in clear and you press down hard enough but not too hard, and make sure you're rythmn is perfect.
Practice everything slow with a metronome. This is very important if you want to get good.