ok, well im getting an acoustic/electric bass, for the simple fact, that they dont wanna hear me at night, but anyways, if i play gigs, am i gonna sound wierd?

is there any famous musicians/bands that use acoustic bass's?
if so, can you name them?

or am i boned?
Last edited by darkrikku at Dec 6, 2008,
Quote by darkrikku
ok, well im getting an acoustic/electric bass, for the simple fact, that they can afford an amp,

What?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
It really depends what style you play, it would probably be more suited in a small acoustic ensemble then a tech Prog-Fusion band. Another factor is the fact that most cheaper acoustic basses are relatively harder to play, and generally have a higher action then a solid body.
On the other hand, they do have a unique tone, and present better percussive opportunities. You're not boned, but depending on what style you want to play and what sound you want, you might be better of saving for an electric.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

my parents are buying it for me for the simple fact they really dont wanna hear me at night
and considering im up all night, and sleep during most of the day...yeah, i like playing bands like foo fighters and metallica, for the simple fact there easy on the bass, but my bass, btw cost around 350, dont ask why there bieng retarted......but anyways, ive tried it out, and not much action on it, it plays really smooth, plus its a fender, so yeah

im just not sure what type of music would go with it, me and my band play everything from opeth, to led zepplin, and some country, and everything inbetween

so any advice on a style i should take more interest in it, everything but rap, is appriciated
Quote by darkrikku
ok, well im getting an acoustic/electric bass, for the simple fact, that they can afford an amp, but anyways, if i play gigs, am i gonna sound wierd?

it's times like these I wish I could use the lol wut pear.
Quote by darkrikku
my parents are buying it for me for the simple fact they really dont wanna hear me at night
and considering im up all night, and sleep during most of the day...yeah, i like playing bands like foo fighters and metallica, for the simple fact there easy on the bass, but my bass, btw cost around 350, dont ask why there bieng retarted......but anyways, ive tried it out, and not much action on it, it plays really smooth, plus its a fender, so yeah

im just not sure what type of music would go with it, me and my band play everything from opeth, to led zepplin, and some country, and everything inbetween

so any advice on a style i should take more interest in it, everything but rap, is appriciated

I'm a little confused. You can't get an amp because your parents don't want to hear you? You don't always have to be plugged in. I play acoustically far more than I play plugged in. Second, you play in a band, but don't have an amp? How does that work?
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by TooFast
I'm a little confused. You can't get an amp because your parents don't want to hear you? You don't always have to be plugged in. I play acoustically far more than I play plugged in. Second, you play in a band, but don't have an amp? How does that work?

i use my friends bass, but its getting shipped to iraq for his bro, he has an amazing setup, line 6 amps, overdrive petals, etc....its the perfect setup, but anyways....
I think they should still get you an amp. You could use it for band practice, not at 2AM.
Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

Quote by TooFast
I think they should still get you an amp. You could use it for band practice, not at 2AM.

there dicks, but ill just go out any buy one. not the point of this thread....
Quote by darkrikku
there dicks, but ill just go out any buy one. not the point of this thread....

Sorry. I don't know of any off the top of my head, but I played with a band whose bassist used an acoustic. There really wasn't that much of a difference. They played mellow rock.
I wouldn't get an acoustic bass, however.
Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

Quote by TooFast
Sorry. I don't know of any off the top of my head, but I played with a band whose bassist used an acoustic. There really wasn't that much of a difference. They played mellow rock.
I wouldn't get an acoustic bass, however.

im doomed to get one. but thans for answering my question, much appriciation
I fail to see why you can't just use headphones?
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
No problem. If you can get a decent rig behind it, you'll sound fine.
Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

Quote by urf_
I fail to see why you can't just use headphones?

I was going to ask the same question
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Sadly, cheap electro acoustics, are pretty crap... just beg your parents to get you a standard bass, saying that you wont play plugged in when they're asleep.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Yea if i were you i would just get a electric and headphones because most cheap acoustic/electrics are not good at all. And as far as a band who plays with one i don't know.
Quote by darkrikku

just use headphones on a electric, or just turn down the volume!!!! its not that complicated
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Why not keep your electric bass and instead buy something like a Zoom B1 which you can use headphones with and still practice in quiet.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Squier Vintage Mod Jazz + Ashdown amp 150 watts or above + headphones.

Cheap, good, giggable rig, headphones means no waking the parents.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Your going to need an electric bass for the simple fact that acoustic basses dont sond like electric basses just like the simple fact that acoustic guitars dont sound like electric guitars and the simple fact that music like metallica dosent use acoustic basses and the simple fact that most bottom/mid line acoustic basses are crap.

Simple and factitious enough for you?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Tell your parent's this.

Acoustic bass = no volume, it will be quite loud at night, the same as an acoustic guitar.

Electric bass (even just an ibanez starter pack with a 15watt amp) = volume and head phone out = virtually silent playing and much better in the long run!
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
You can't play an acoustic live very well without a feedback blocker...and an amp...but it can be done, and gives a really cool tone. I wouldn't recommend it, though. If you're just a bedroom player, however, I think you'll like it. Greg Bennett ABGs play the best, IMO.
Nope, no sig here.