Ok so lets start, i used the searchbar and couldn't find anything the same as this.

So my point/question is whenever i go around the forums and see things like "music theory helped me" or "learn music theory"....
What do people mean by music theory?
Scales
Major, Minors, Augmented...
Ability to read sheet music.
Chordes, formation....
???
You are free to do what we tell you.
If you intend to play lead guitar, people will reccomend you learn scales to play over a chord progression. This is knowledge in theory as any combination will work, but may not sound great (by this I mean, a bit stale or boring).

This is just one example of application of theory. It isn't necessary to learn theory, but be aware that you will stumble across it anyway whether you learn it or not, if you want to sound 'good'. It will just save you time by learning it rather than discovering it. It is also worth learning theory as it will open up new avenues in your playing and allow you to play in different ways.

Hope that answeed your question.
Holy ****, you're so ****ing stupid, and it doesn't have to do with the fact that you don't know what musical theory is.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Quote by VanCamp
Holy ****, you're so ****ing stupid, and it doesn't have to do with the fact that you don't know what musical theory is.

Could you please stop flaming everybody?
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
basicaly, theory is what you need to know to do your own stuff, like improv, and writing your own solos, its pretty simple once you get your head around it.
god loves the working man. unfortunately, that puts me in deep crap.

you sir, may c*m blood, but i sh*t diamonds, guess which is more painful. especially after curry.

+ =
Music theory doesn't just help you understand how to play music, it helps you understand why. It's like the difference between learning to read, and learning to write.
music theory is the basic understaning of why it sounds right.
music experts can tell weather someone years ago who wrote a score followed motzart,or bach or da di dah.
dont know much about it myself but there's a reason why it sounds right.
so just as has been said
IF IT SOUNDS RIGHT GO FOR IT
if you want to know why,
THEORISE.
but just enjoy what your doing.

chris(swales)
Quote by VanCamp

you dick, i know what music theory is, im asking what each person includes into there definition of it
You are free to do what we tell you.
Quote by VanCamp

Wow. You don't even know what TS means and you're already flaming someone. Get a life.

Finis, I highly recommend you take the journey through Music Theory. Try not to rush what you learn, just go at one aspect of theory VERY SLOWLY. I think you should start out with chords and the notes of the fretboard. Have fun with it, and remember, music theory isn't about just memorizing stuff and scales. Use theory to make music, it's almost an essential.

I'll help you any way I can.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha