I've got a rather strange problem. See, when I'm not playing guitar, my brain is always busy with creating riffs and solos, and they sound quite good in my head. The problem is, when I plug in my guitar, everything just washes away and my head becomes completely devoid of anything even remotely resembling the riffs I came up with an hour ago.

This is really starting to annoy me. Why can't I let my ideas flow through my fingers? Any ideas?
Spend more time playing the guitar, or record yourself singing the riffs you think of on your phone or something.
Yes it happens. That's why when I hear something cool in my mind, I record it right away. And yes, I record it with my voice with my crappy cellphone, but the thing is all there so I remember it when I'm with the guitar. Do it!

Oh, and make sure nobody hears you when recording.
keep your guitar and amp plugged in. Then when you are inspired you just flick it on and go. Then you don't have to mentally "switch gears" to set up your equipment.

Or get an acoustic or classical guitar so that you can just pick it up and go.

EDIT: Unless it's a case of hearing a full polished orchestral masterpiece in your head that sounds as though it's been recorded by the worlds best players with the worlds best producer in the world's best studio with the worlds best equipment and expecting to sit down and play it right through first time - that is never going to happen. You need to work and work at it.

Also if you are hearing some insane shredding or hendrix/srv style blues and you don't have the technical skill to play that kind of stuff without spending a good six to eight weeks learning it then the song in your head is going to take just as long or longer to perfect and get sounding close to what you're hearing.

Just keep at it keep at it keep at it.

Good Luck
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Dec 6, 2008,
Yes, I was considering recording with my phone... I guess I'll try it out. This breathes life into a new problem, however; I'm always around people, heh. I guess I'll just have to sneak away and have my private recording sessions.
i do this same thing

i usually just sit there with my guitar on my lap until i get out of the guitar-playing zone and into my "able-to-think-aout-riffs" zone. then as soon as i get one i just go at it right away before i forget it. unfortunately, then i havhe to sit there again for a while to remember any more

i need a better method...
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Get a knife, and carve it into your arm, if you know what notes you'll be using.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
John Butler had the same problem when writing "Zebra". He said it took months for the two to finally meet because it would be in his head when there's no guitar, or a guitar and it's not in his head. Sing it to your phone or something so you can go back to it later.
Quote by AwesomenessFTW
Text yourself a tab of the riff, possibly?

Tab does not show rhythm. And if you had the exceptional ability to hear the melody in your head and know what notes are being played, you wouldn't waste your time with tabs in the first place.
Quote by symba05
Tab does not show rhythm. And if you had the exceptional ability to hear the melody in your head and know what notes are being played, you wouldn't waste your time with tabs in the first place.

Good point... I guess singing the melody while recording is the better option.
Hello there.

I lurk a lot.

It's what I do best.