... if you could call it that.

well any way, my idea was this:
1)take one of the logs that i have left over from splitting over the summer, one with a fairly large face, and cut a slice of it about 3in(?) thick.

2)then i will hollow it out, tediously with a drill in that old fashion UG technique. leaving a spot to stick the neck on.

3)then i will cut another, very thin slice from the log, cut out a piece to accommodate the neck, and that will be my top.

4)then i could just buy a bridge and neck

it probablt wont sound the best as an acoustic, but who knows??
if it sounds like ****, ill just pick up a sound hole pickup, and see how that goes......
so you wanna get a plank of wood, get rid of all the wood except for a bit on the edge and then glue a top onto it?
Go for it
Depending on how thin you leave the sides depends on if you need any bracing... i'd say about an inch thick? Maybe a bit less...

you may need to do a lot of planing and sanding too....
what sort of wood is it?
I would also recommend doing it with a router... router = so much easier than a drill

Its not really the best approach, your going to need to do a lot more planning that just i'll hollow out a bit of wood and stick a bridge and neck on it. You gotta remember scale length etc etc
Quote by guitarcam123
so you wanna get a plank of wood, get rid of all the wood except for a bit on the edge and then glue a top onto it?
Go for it
Depending on how thin you leave the sides depends on if you need any bracing... i'd say about an inch thick? Maybe a bit less...

you may need to do a lot of planing and sanding too....
what sort of wood is it?
I would also recommend doing it with a router... router = so much easier than a drill

Its not really the best approach, your going to need to do a lot more planning that just i'll hollow out a bit of wood and stick a bridge and neck on it. You gotta remember scale length etc etc

yeah, i know that theres a lot more work involved to making a real acoustic, i saw it on How its made, and it was rough. im just really bad with electronics, so i figured i'd go for something like this. if nothing else, it'll look realll back woodsy, and be nice for folk...even if i can only slide with it.
i think the main issue here would be moisture content. if you just split them this summer, they'll probably be too damp.

Holy hell Cam, what time is it there?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
its 11:19pm

If your doing this for ease don't...
A solid body electric is so much easier, just cut the shape neck pocket and if your going for simplicity route for 1 pickup and a small cavity big enough for one pot, wire the pickup to the pot then to the output jack, about 5 solder connections i believe...

Then if your buying the neck you can screw that on, measure where the bridge has to go and stick it in. String it up and your ready to play. (literally, its not thats easy, but it kinda is)

And what bv310 said... the wood will probably still need to be dried for a lot longer, unless you wanna get it kiln dried from a local lumber yard or something...

EDIT: If you want an acoustic sound, make it semi hollow with a piezo
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Dec 6, 2008,