hey guys, i hope i'm posting this in the right thread, i used the search bar and nothing came up so i thought i should make a new thread.

for some time now iv been trying to a vibrato effect on an open string, and, obviously, i couldn't find one seeing as thr was no where to apply the bends.
anyway after messing about one day i realised that i could just bend the strings above the nut and i would get a similar effect.

my question is... is bending the strings above the nut harmful in anyway?? it feels like there is a higher chance of the strings snapping, and im also applying pressure to the back of the headstock with my thumb. is this bad in anyway for my guitar?
If you listen to the beginning of Iron Man, Iommi does this as well.
Quote by gallagher2006
I finger my asshole for the lulz
bending the string downwards behind the nut towards the headstock is fine, as long as you do it subtely. if you hear a "click" thats a sign that you should stop.
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
John 5 has a song written entirely using 'behind the nut' bends. I would assume that pretty much anything you do to a guitar can harm it, but as things go, bending the string behind the nut isn't something you need to be worried about.
thanx for all the replies guys, i was holding back on doing the bends but now that i knw it shouldnt do any real damage, im gonna let it rip :P
You can do it below the bridge too. You're not going to harm anything.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
I dont have a trem so i couldnt do the natural harmonic vibratos in some rhandy rhods songs like crazy train then i discovered that tehcnique. So now ill play crazy train or something like thast and hit a natural harmnic and then vibrato it behind the nut instead of with a whammy bar. I need to get a ****in trem though. I want to get a nice RG with a trem.

Back on topic yea its not going to **** up your guitar ive been doing that for a long time never had problems.
Randy Rhodes actually pushes the headstock on the guitar forward, he doesnt do behind the nut bends (not that Im aware of)

So if your looking to completely emulate his sound, then...yea. But I wouldnt recommend it cause its easy to snap the neck doing bends like that
Quote by /-\liceNChains
I want to get a nice RG with a trem.

Stay away from Edge III's

Quote by jeowy
if you hear a "click" thats a sign that you should stop.

If you hear a "click" you probably already f*cked it up...

I've always been against bending the way Jeowy described. You can break the guitar's neck, or even rip it out of the guitar body.

Plus, all the guitars I've owned had headstocks that were different pieces of wood. That equals a weak point and the bolt area on bolt-on necks are a weak point.

Then again, they can make those joints so that they're almost as strong, if not stronger than the wood itself.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Dec 7, 2008,
Then again, they can make those joints so that they're almost as strong, if not stronger than the wood itself.

Supposedly you can stand on the joint between headstock and neck on a warmoth and it'll be fine. No way I'd ever test that theory though, didn't fork out $600 for that lol. <.<
Quote by gallagher2006
I finger my asshole for the lulz
Bending the string behind the nut isn't harmful at all, but it's kind of hard to get ur hand all the way back there in time to make it sound any good, unless it's to accent the end of a line. I do vibrato on the open strings all the time, i just use the whammy bar and mute all of the other strings with my left hand. It's a little bit tricky, but it becomes easier, like anything else with guitar
You can also use your whammy bar by slightly dipping and returning it to the resting position quickly
hue
Quote by /-\liceNChains
I dont have a trem so i couldnt do the natural harmonic vibratos in some rhandy rhods songs like crazy train then i discovered that tehcnique. So now ill play crazy train or something like thast and hit a natural harmnic and then vibrato it behind the nut instead of with a whammy bar. I need to get a ****in trem though. I want to get a nice RG with a trem.

Back on topic yea its not going to **** up your guitar ive been doing that for a long time never had problems.

Which can be like $20 extra! But I am going to show you how to whammy,

without a whammy bar