ive recently come to the realization that songs are only as good as their vocal melodies. which bands do you guys think have the best ones? im trying to study them, get a feel for the differences, and somehow learn how to write these mother****ers.

my contribution: Myspace.com/alesana

i understand that the overwhelming majority of UG users dont listen to that kind of music, but at least you can give credit where its due.
Actualy Metallica songs often have good vocal melodies.
I realy love the vocal melodies in Triviums Kirlusmth Gomein
Suprisingly early Swans (noise) have good vocal melodies
Especialy song Cop have a realy disturbing one
Quote by 742627000017
Actualy Metallica songs often have good vocal melodies.
I realy love the vocal melodies in Triviums Kirlusmth Gomein
Suprisingly early Swans (noise) have good vocal melodies
Especialy song Cop have a realy disturbing one

Kirisute Gomen*, pronounced "Kirri-stay Go-men".

To stay on topic;
I also want to learn more about vocal harmonies.
Gore AND Core; unite!
Well, I think Oasis have cool vocal melodies. They can make a cool song from the simplest progression.

Totally off-topic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnyMxcTk_UA&feature=related

Check this. this is their album made in 2000; and the talkshow host asks/says skyline of new york. And Liam responses; I thought I'd paid tribute before they blow u up. Everyone in the crowd laughs; 1 year later 9/11. Scary ****.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 6, 2008,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Well, I think Oasis have cool vocal melodies. They can make a cool song from the simplest progression.

Totally off-topic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnyMxcTk_UA&feature=related

Check this. this is their album made in 2000; and the talkshow host asks/says skyline of new york. And Liam responses; I thought I'd paid tribute before they blow u up. Everyone in the crowd laughs; 1 year later 9/11. Scary ****.

crazy.
maybe Oasis did it?
opeth has fantastic vocal melodies.
there's my two cents haha
____________________ ___________________
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................

billy joel
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Great vocal melodies (in no particular order):

Bon Jovi
Goo Goo Dolls
Matthew Sweet
Beatles
American Hi-Fi (first album)
Sloan
Boston
Journey
Dallas Green (his two bands are Alexisonfire and City and Colour)
Aerosmith
Cheap Trick
Coldplay
Gin Blossoms
Jimmy Eat World
REM
Radiohead
Van Morrison

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^yeah +Buddy Holly, The Beach Boys, Guns'n'Roses, Bob Dylan

I would wonder what made you say that in the first place. If you think a song is only as good as it's vocal melodies - look at what songs you think are good and study their vocal melodies.
Si
Boston. Boston. Boston. Study their melodies and harmonies.

I see that you list Maiden as one of your favorite bands. Maiden is NWOBHM with Boston's vocals, essentially (there's more to Maiden than just that, but that is fairly accurate).
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
ive recently come to the realization that songs are only as good as their vocal melodies. which bands do you guys think have the best ones? im trying to study them, get a feel for the differences, and somehow learn how to write these mother****ers.

my contribution: Myspace.com/alesana

i understand that the overwhelming majority of UG users dont listen to that kind of music, but at least you can give credit where its due.

I really don't think that's true. I mean, look at "White Rabbit" (by Jefferson Airplane). That's a good example of a song that doesn't have much vocal melody and is a very popular and loved song. Rethink your assumptions.
Anyone else realise that alot of the bands/songs suggested don't actually have vocal melodies and have unmelodic death-vocals instead?

To contribute, Iron Maiden have some pretty awesome singing melodies.

EDIT: okay, maybe not *alot* but few trivium songs have melodic vocal lines and the screamo band T/S suggested is mostly unmelodic screaming.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by alex0203
I really don't think that's true. I mean, look at "White Rabbit" (by Jefferson Airplane). That's a good example of a song that doesn't have much vocal melody and is a very popular and loved song. Rethink your assumptions.

That's almost like saying you don't have to have any vocal melody *at all* to have a huge hit. Just look at Wipeout. You can always find exceptions. Sure, I'm being a bit extreme, but only to illustrate a point.

I think that if you go through virtually any decade and look at all the top ten hits in any genre, you'll find that a strong vocal melody is critically important. Similarly, look at most of the most popular artists of any decade and you'll find a real focus on strong vocal melodies.

50's - Elvis, Beatles, Buddy Holly
60's - Beatles, Doors, CCR
70's - Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Bee Gees
80's - Bon Jovi, Madonna, Prince
90's - Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Sheryl Crow
00's - Linkin Park, Blink 182, Gwen Stefani

There are so many other huge groups you could include in there, from the Byrds to Aretha Franklin to U2 to AC/DC to Green Day and Offspring and so many others. (see list above ^^) There is a consistency of strong vocal melodies.

Read any article or any advice from actual A+R people and you'll find that a strong vocal melody is usually critically important.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Last edited by axemanchris at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by demonofthenight
Anyone else realise that alot of the bands/songs suggested don't actually have vocal melodies and have unmelodic death-vocals instead?

Do you think there might be a connection between that fact and the fact that death metal is, in the grander scheme of things, not a very popular genre, and that it remains relatively a niche market?

Quote by demonofthenight

To contribute, Iron Maiden have some pretty awesome singing melodies.

Yes.

CT

ELLIOTT SMITH
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian