Okay, I've had this sitting around in my basement for a while now, and have been craving to finish it since I've left for school. SO! I've made the decision to finish it while I'm on my Christmas Break (and hopefully my speakers will be a gift for Christmas... )

I think everything I have so far has cost me about $20.00 (I used to work at the Home Hardware where I bought the supplies, employee discount ftw!) so Perhaps this could suffice as my less than 100 GBP entry?

As the title states, this is gonna be a quick one, It'll be made quickly (not for any real aesthetic value, more for the Structural integrity and sound quality) so it'll survive those harsh-condition shows etc, and so i could probably bring it back to school with me after the break.

I've used 5/8" maple laminate plywood, spruce 2"x4" bracing, and some scrap 3/4" plywood as some securing bits (you'll see what I mean in the pics).

I didn't get any pictures of the before, but here's where I am now:

That's it, If you look in the 2nd picture, you'll see the 3/4" ply that I used to hold the frames in place as I was drilling/mounting.

This thing's gonna be a tank, It'll probably be able to survive a fall down a staircase.

I've arranged the speakers so I can tilt this thing any which-way and get some decent sound of it.

I'm looking for ideas to spray on the grille cloth, which will probably be made of an old screen door.

Anywho, That's all for now.

------

Shwiggity.
hehe, looks cool:-)

goodluck!
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
If it were me, I would've inset the front panel maybe a 1/2". That way, you could buy some real grille fabric, which I would've mounted to a thin sheet of plywood no thicker than necessary. That piece would then be mounted to the front. If you wrapped the top, bottom, left and right sides with the faux leather material, the whole thing would look pretty professional. I'd use 3M Spray Adhesive to mount the faux leather grille material.
Also, if you really wanted it built like a tank, I would've used glue and screws to hold the cab together. I would also recommend using MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard), instead of ply. You wouldn't need to 2x4 frame and could get away with using smaller bracing pieces on all the inside corners. Years ago, when I DJ'd, I made my own subwoofer using this build style. 3 or 4 people could stand on this thing and not cause it any harm. I also used the "carpet" that you see on all the DJ equipment. The 3M Spray works great and continues to hold the carpet on to this day.
Well, I still have yet to Seal and glue it, MDF is crap, It's essentially layers of cardboard, this will have more strength. The 2x4 frame was from the tutorial, and it's essentially making this thing indestructable. I'm only spraypainting this because I don't intend to have it look amazing, It's just a bang-around cab for practices and stuff, Nothing much more.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
Well, I still have yet to Seal and glue it, MDF is crap, It's essentially layers of cardboard, this will have more strength. The 2x4 frame was from the tutorial, and it's essentially making this thing indestructable. I'm only spraypainting this because I don't intend to have it look amazing, It's just a bang-around cab for practices and stuff, Nothing much more.

Wrong

MDF is a very solid material and well-suited for speaker cabinet applications, including guitar speakers. You just have to know how to work with it.

To prove my point; Car subwoofers boxes made out of MDF withstand amazing amounts of pressure without flexing, warping, cracking, or any other sort of structural damage. I know, I build them. There's no issue with the way you've built yours and for it's intended purpose I'm sure it will work great. I just felt it best to inform you of your MDF misconception before somebody reads it and views it as fact.

What kind of speakers do you plan on throwing in this?
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
Yeah MDF is pretty damn solid. It's only really, really horrible for making guitars with. Amps I see no problem.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
what are the dimensions of this thing?
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40
what are the dimensions of this thing?

yeah thats my question
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
I'll get the dimensions of it in a bit, but as for the MDF;

I worked in a warehouse selling the stuff for a few years, and i know that this stuff (or at least the stuff we had) couldn't take any water damage at all, we'd have pieces swelling up and breaking from when we had roof leaks, etc.

nonetheless, I'm past the point of materials, and I got the maple ply cheap.

As for the speakers, I'm hoping to pop some WGS Green Baret's in there, I've found a pair that are in Toronto (craigslist ftw!) for pretty cheap, and there's no shipping involved either.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by chuckflan333
Yeah MDF is pretty damn solid. It's only really, really horrible for making guitars with. Amps I see no problem.

I think it dampens the sound a lot and for me it is just way to heavy to be practical for making... anything out of really.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
True sometimes.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
If I'm lugging this thing around, I don't want to have to have shoulder surgey after a couple shows
------

Shwiggity.
wow, the bracing inside that cab...
that's one solid motherfvcker
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Quote by deftonesordie

As for the speakers, I'm hoping to pop some WGS Green Baret's in there, I've found a pair that are in Toronto (craigslist ftw!) for pretty cheap, and there's no shipping involved either.

Great choice. Killer speakers.

And as the MDF argument goes... i would hate to build anything out of it since its so damn heavy! The wood will hold up, especially with the bracing structure used here. And it might even be able to be carried up stairs!
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors