Do they really work? I'm looking to get some more sustain out of my bass. I want to get that long thundering type sound because I do alot of chordal work on bass. The FatFingers look kinda like gimmicks but people swear by them. Plus I can't think of anyother way to improve my sustain (mine is really non existant). Any suggestions?
Why not invest in something like a BA2 bridge, or even a new set of strings. Dead roundwounds and flats have much less sustain that new rounds.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The guitarist I play with calls them the snake oil for the industry. A gimmick that really doesn't work. You're better off like Jack implies, in putting the 23USD towards a new set of strings.
Strings can add that much for sustain? I've never considered that. I always used Blue Steel mediums on my bass, maybe I should switch?
A new bridge will work wonders. I put a BadAss II on my MIM P-bass, it has vastly improved sustain over the stock Fender one. If you don't want to shell out 80 bucks for a BAII, Gotoh 201 is pretty decent and is half the price.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Strings can add that much for sustain? I've never considered that. I always used Blue Steel mediums on my bass, maybe I should switch?

It's new strings that make the difference. Their brightness accentuates midrange frequencies, so you can hear notes for longer.

And apparently replacing the standard fender bridges can do wonders for sustain.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Ithought this was something about i ahve fat fingers can i play bass? lol
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
That's what i thought until i read the post and google'd fat fingers
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by Captain Insano
A new bridge will work wonders. I put a BadAss II on my MIM P-bass, it has vastly improved sustain over the stock Fender one. If you don't want to shell out 80 bucks for a BAII, Gotoh 201 is pretty decent and is half the price.

Well I have a brass bridge on my bass. How much would a BadAss improve from that?
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Well I have a brass bridge on my bass. How much would a BadAss improve from that?

How big is your bridge? Brass is kinda heavy. But if it's anything like a stock fender, a BadAss is going to provide alot more mass.

The key is mass. More mass, more sustain.
haha neat, the fat finger reminds me of these big metal cones you can get that just go on top of your speaker. the place i saw them at called them beaks. they weighed about 1/2 a kilo or so and you jsut put them on top of any box shaped speaker and suddenly, almost like magic, all the high frequencies were able to be heard all around the room. apparently it just allows it to broadcast the highs better with the shape and mass that it was.

the fat finger? never tried it.. if your bass needs that much more sustain.. maybe get better hardware first like insano and a few others mentioned.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.