14 9%
Played in random places, but still is fitting
19 12%
Other (say in post)
21 14%
Voters: 155.
Page 1 of 2
The title says it all.

What is your style of soloing when you are songwriting?

My solos usually depend on the feel of the song, but for the punk songs I write they are usually based off the Pentatonic Minor Scale, but moved around and with small spurts of fast playing, I always use at least 1 pinch harmonic in my solos. Other times they are wherever I want.

Whats your style? Theres a poll so you can vote.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Dec 8, 2008,
melodic major scale stuff for the win.
Originally Posted by Eric 666
if I had sex with my clone...I'd have a big dick in my ass.

Quote by Final !mpact
I mean 'Really Retarded' in the nicest way possible by the way.

Member 37 Of The RHCP fanclub.
Bruce Springsteen Fan?
My Myspace
if i do a solo it definitely depends on the song, I made a song wich had a solo like the verse melody and then in the bridge i went further on it so to say.

I've also had a solo in a song wich was short and was based also on the pentatonic if im correct that is.
(The solo is 2 bars i believe)

But i love noise and feedback so i use that alot aswell.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Depends on what fits the song really. Most of the time a little variation on the vocal melody provides a nice bridge between the chorus and the next verse.

If not, Em/Am pentatonic, regardless of the key. I'm **** at theory
i am always trying to write the perfect solo.... that is why most of my songs are incomplete.
i guess i try to jam in as mush skill as i can, which is bad lol. i should focus more on the muscial side...
i try to make mine just build to a climax, not sticking to scales, but base them around a scale kind of, as long as it sounds good.
I Won't Let This Build Up Inside Of Me

Quote by FFTLxx

muhat gandy
+Sideways 8

Well thats me set ^^
IT depends.

If I play in a pub in amsterdam with the local house band. I put on some sunglasses, grab a les paul, and start bending the **** out of those notes.

If I gonna play for other people, then I want them to have a good time, so i go more flashy and do totally crazy stuff.

With my own music, I compose and experiment.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
It depends on the song. I like to do lots of blues / rock and progressive improvasation which inst neccisarily flashy or fast but is soulfull and what im mainly working on is trying to play what i hear in my head. So lots of bends vibrato etc.. But im basically just playing the key trying to follow the chords with what i feel. So the scale would depend on the chords. I might try different ideas etcc.

My phrasing has been improving greatly I remember when i used to think I had to constantly play like a year ago. All the improv and jamming has made me put more of my energy on hearing the music as i play instead of playing constant less meaningfull stuff.
I still have a lot of work to do though. Theres an article up on phrasing now that is really good if any of you are looking to improve in that department.

I know this might sound cliche about phrasing but i learned some pink floyd songs solo included like Money and Confortalby numb. Those help with bends double bends vibratos and more sublte techniques and are just damn fun to play.

Other times ill learn solos note for note mostly for famous songs or metal songs. Im not really good enough yet where i can improvise at shred speed so for songs like Bark at the moon , crazy train or metallica songs ill just learn the actual solo.

So basically depends if its original or a cover and what genre. What I enjoy the most and seek to become the best at is playing meaningfull melodic solos over any piece of music improvised. I would like to get better at using the minor scale. I need to learn some songs that have harmonic minor based soloing. If anyone reads this and has a tip of some good solos that are cleary and obviously right off the minor scale i would appriacte it if you recomend them to me.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Dec 6, 2008,
Usually mix it up, play different modes over each chord etc. Although sometimes playing rock and metal songs Ill just stick in one scale and do some crazy stuff. But mostly I will change modes frequently even during rock/metal stuff
Andy
i didn't vote because i can't really nail down what i sound like consistently. i try to do different stuff all the time.
Carefully composed, ornate, syncopated, wandering melodies.
To get an idea what I'm talking about: As my composition thread might have suggested, I like to challenge myself by creating compositional...challenges. Lately I've been interested in various forms of chromaticism, especially modal interchange. I like to create short chord progressions and then compose melody lines over them. The result of one such experiment is follows (as a PT file).

http://www.yousendit.com/download/TTZuYURJQTY1bmpIRGc9PQ

The first few bars cycle between various major modes, before finally settling into a minor key.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Dec 6, 2008,
So I'm pretty much just...amazing.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
My solos are either based on scales or on vocal melodies.

I still can't shake the Cobain influence.....not that I would want to.
I'm the only one that picked mindless shredding

I use to play exactly like Kirk Hammett because I've learned so many Metallica songs but I've managed to develop my own style.

Quote by Archeo Avis
To get an idea what I'm talking about: As my composition thread might have suggested, I like to challenge myself by creating compositional...challenges. Lately I've been interested in various forms of chromaticism, especially modal interchange. I like to create short chord progressions and then compose melody lines over them. The result of one such experiment is follows (as a PT file).

The first few bars cycle between various major modes, before finally settling into a minor key.
I want to hear more
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by z4twenny
i didn't vote because i can't really nail down what i sound like consistently. i try to do different stuff all the time.

pretty much the same goes for myself
Whatever the song calls for. I use many scales, use the chord tones of the harmonic progression, adding chromatic passing notes and carefully applied dissonance and playing out before returning to a tonal center.
Quote by Archeo Avis

You could also attach the ptb file to your post
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I like to either play the vocal melody, or something ridiculous that has nothing to do with the song with lots of feedback and one-finger chords. The people dig it, at least. I'm sort of a jazz player at heart, so I can't not improvise, you know?
Quote by psychodelia
You could also attach the ptb file to your post

.........I knew that. Prove that I didn't. You can't; science wins.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I try to solo like Buckethead (his mellower, melancholy stuff). I love to make a simple and mellow chord progression and just improvise over it using just one scale, and it's octaves.
I'm really only any good at playing a blues solo. I generally use the first, second, fourth, fifth and seventh degrees of a natural minor scale, with many bends and such. I rarely use the third or sixth, because I'm best at bending with my ring finger, and playing with only 2-fret reaches allows this the best.
My solos can be viewed as mini compositions within the song, although sometimes they follow the chord progression. In one of my solos, I play down the scale for a bar and two beats, and then play in harmony with the chord progression.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I wouldn't call it mindless shredding. I don't just whip my fingers around the fretboard. (Bear with me here, right now my skill level says shreding is sextuplets at around 80bpm)

I mean, yeah, I play as fast as I can, cleanly, AT TIMES! There are times for shred and there are times for emotion.
Any scale.
Harmonics and wide intervals. Lots of triplets too, bends, slides and stops, and funky chords.
Also, if it's unhumable, it's not worth doing :p. I also like chromatism and expirementing alot :p.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by The.new.guy
I wouldn't call it mindless shredding. I don't just whip my fingers around the fretboard. (Bear with me here, right now my skill level says shreding is sextuplets at around 80bpm)

I mean, yeah, I play as fast as I can, cleanly, AT TIMES! There are times for shred and there are times for emotion.

Oh dear, not THIS again.
a bit of all of the above ,
i find when mindless shreding it is fun to play but not to listen to.
playing a vocal part takes more self control but makes a more enjoyably listen
Play the changes, there's no better way of improvising.

Scales for improvising become obsolete when you recognise which notes are consonant and dissonant.

Think about it this way, if you play the changes and you know that over 1 minor chord (say Cminor) you could use a range of minor modes (say C dorian, C aeolian, C phrygian) and you could also use some completely non-diatonic notes (b5's are common and M7's are always great for resolving/chromatic runs), what's to stop me using all of this at once?

So, in effect, my "scale" for minor chords looks like this: T, m2, M2, m3, 4, b5, m6, M6, m7, M7. In my head, I sort of know what each note will sound like (harmonically) and what other notes sound good with those notes (melodically). Sure I probably wouldn't use m6's and M6's in the same phrase (unless I was doing a chromatic run) but I could potentially use them both over the same chord.

Hopefully that gives you some insight on what goes through my head.

Also, if it's unhumable, it's not worth doing :p. I also like chromatism and expirementing alot :p.
Wow, self-pwn. Chromatism is mostly unhumable.
I try to create melodies that have something in common with the theme of the song, mainly working on my phrasing, so no much shredding or anything...

Well, I'm talking about composing in Guitar Pro or PT, not playing in reality, I can't play solos for my life
Mindless shredding.
My metronome doesn't go below 257bpm.
Some old dude tried to show me something called the 'blues' once, but it sounds like something a 5yr old made up.
To thread starter: Shredding is not instantly mindless just because you cannot do it.
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
Quote by Retro Rocker
Mindless shredding.
Some old dude tried to show me something called the 'blues' once, but it sounds like something a 5yr old made up.

Dude, i'm not even kidding when I say you are not a guitarist. In fact you are no where near a guitarist.
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
Quote by <SpaceTime>
Dude, i'm not even kidding when I say you are not a guitarist. In fact you are no where near a guitarist.

I'm not kidding when I say you need a new battery for your sarcasm detector.
Quote by Retro Rocker
Mindless shredding.
3/10
Quote by <SpaceTime>
4/10
I'm not kidding when I say you need a new battery for your sarcasm detector.
5/10
Quote by demonofthenight
3/10
4/10
5/10

12/10? Not bad for a sunday afternoon.

But really, it's hard to pick just one 'style'.
Depends on the type of song, I like a bit of everything.
Most of my style is blues based, influenced by Gary Moore, Jimmy Page, BB King, Albert King etc. so I incorporate lots of bends, sustain and vocal melodies. It's fun to just break free and play some metal/hard rock stuff though. In that case I'd imitate the likes of Slash, Tom Morello and Dimebag Darrel (though not close to their level of creativity). In terms of effects, wah, flange and a fuzz pedal are pretty much it.
Quote by gallagher2006
I finger my asshole for the lulz
I was never taught guitar. I know a few scales(well modes really) and just kind of bounce around on those.

dorian mode

E-|-o-|---|-o-|-o-|---|
B-|-o-|---|-o-|-o-|---|
G-|-o-|---|-o-|---|-o-|
D-|-o-|---|-o-|---|-o-|
A-|-o-|---|-o-|---|-o-|
E-|-o-|---|-o-|-o-|---|

phygiean(sp?) mode

E-|-o-|-o-|---|-o-|
B-|-o-|-o-|---|-o-|
G-|-o-|---|-o-|---|
D-|-o-|---|-o-|-o-|