Hey, just wondering if any one can help me choose a pickup to go into my Tokai Les Paul (Made in Japan) replacing the stock one.

I'm looking for something that can help me cut through the mix, that's quite high output and makes chords and solos stand out.

My Style of Music is Rock/Metal, i play from Bad Company/Thin Lizzy to Motley Crue/Ozzy Osbourne

For Amp, im using a Carvin MTS3200 Combo

Open to any Brands

Previously been looking at Dimarzio Super Distortion
Duncan Custom 5?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Seymour Duncan JB would be good. Id also recommend looking into a compressor pedal, they cut through the mix brilliantly. check out aphex - punch factory optical compressor, but they do cost a fair bob
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by oneblackened
Duncan Custom 5?

+1
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
+1

hey steven what's your opinion on the SH-5 Duncan Custom?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm not big on ceramic magnets myself, but it'd be great for those less organic crunchy sounds that a lot of the more modern pop-punk and alternative bands use. However you get a bit more going on tonally with the Custom 5 which makes it better for those older sounds.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
emg 81? boost the mids
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by mrbungle50221
emg 81? boost the mids

Classic? Not really.

Hey TS, tell me your budget so I can reccomend Bare Knuckles!
Yeah. If you've got a lot of money for it, I say get Bare Knuckles. Actually, there's a pretty perfect pickup for each. The Crawler model is the signature pickup of I forget who, who served some time as Bad Company's guitarist. The Cold Sweat is named after a Thin Lizzy song, and the Miracle Man after an Ozzy song. I wouldn't know what Bare Knuckle tto pick for Crue, but I know Mick Mars uses the DiMarzio Super Distortion. My personal reccomendation is the Bare Knuckle VHII. Very versatile pickup.
If you've less money, the Duncan Custom 5 is great, the JB is classic and the Pearly Gates is quite nice too. DiMarzio wise, the PAF Pro is awesome, the Super Distortion is pretty classic and I quite ike the Norton too. If I had to pick a DiMarzio, I'd have the FRED. It's got a unique vocal tone, versatile output level and great harmonics, although it's not so classic.
yeah, i'd probably agree with a custom or custom 5, assuming they work in a LP, and assuming you're in the USA.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
and assuming you're in the USA.

Good point. If you're in Britain, RockMonkeyGuitars do great pickups for a great price, and an even better price for UGers. The Silverback would suit you nicely.
yeah, that'd definitely be one option if you're in the UK (even europe).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by steven seagull
I'm not big on ceramic magnets myself, but it'd be great for those less organic crunchy sounds that a lot of the more modern pop-punk and alternative bands use. However you get a bit more going on tonally with the Custom 5 which makes it better for those older sounds.

any good for metal?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Rock Pig
Good point. If you're in Britain, RockMonkeyGuitars do great pickups for a great price, and an even better price for UGers. The Silverback would suit you nicely.

Hey! yeah im in Britian, erm whats the output like on that? bearing in mind i play some Metal aswell?

Cheers!
Last edited by YoHendrix at Dec 7, 2008,
^don't double post, use the edit button^

Quote by YoHendrix
Hey! yeah im in Britian, which Rock Monkey pickup would you recommend for as stated above? there website is annoying...

Cheers!

I said in the post you quoted; try the Silverback model.
edited..^

was just looking at the Bare Knuckle Nailbomb with a Alnico 5 magnet, anygood?
Last edited by YoHendrix at Dec 7, 2008,
haven't tried the nailbomb, unfortunately.

if you're in the UK, you have a bunch of options (and i haven't tried close to all of them):

swineshead: good pickups, good price (around £50 per pickup). Not *quite* as nice as, say, bareknuckle etc., but still very nice, and i prefer them to duncans, dimarzios etc. Handwound.

rockmonkey: haven't tried, but hear very good things, and you get a UG discount too (to add to the already very reasonable prices). Handwound + scatterwound (i think- perhaps it's just the singles which are scatterwound, i could be wrong, though).

Bareknuckle: very, very nice, but pretty expensive. Very good range of pickups- but this means you definitely need to ask over at the forum for advice (and/or email tim, the owner), as there are so many options. handwound + scatterwound.

Bulldog: hear great things, haven't tried. Run by a guy who used to work with bareknuckle. slightly cheaper than bareknuckle, too. handwound + scatterwound.

shed pickups: again, hear great things, haven't tried. They *might* be more aimed at vintage tones, though (but i could be wrong). handwound + scatterwound.

irongear: VERY cheap, i can't see how they're handwound at that price. However, they also have a UG discount, and in a best case scenario might give things like duncan and dimarzio a run for their money for about one-third to one-quarter the price. I hear good things, too- on a cheaper guitar, these might be worth trying, if you aren't sure the guitar justifies an upgrade etc..

there are probably a bunch of other options too, which i'm missing...

that's probably not much help...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
check the bare knuckle painkiller!

i hear its good for metal but also for hard rock type things too!
not had a chance to try one yet though
Top lel.
OMFG!, Irongear pickups, £25 per pickup, these look like winners to me.... im looking at the "Hot Slag", anyone know of it?
Well,I CAN fill you in on the BKP Nailbomb.
It's one of the most versatile pickups on the face of the Earth (or the arse of the Earth if you live in England) in that despite being a killer metal pickup it can actually do great cleans too, and everywhere in between. It is, I do believe, their best selling pickup and the one which recieves the best reviews (no mean feat!).
I say get it.

Never heard of Irongear. Jeez, just look at Dave's post, he pretty much ended the thread.
i think they're less than £25 a pickup if you buy direct (and if you search a bit on the forum, assuming it's still valid, there's a 10% off UG discount code).

the only problem with iron gear is that they might suck, or at very least be noticeably not as nice as e.g. bareknuckles etc.- if you're used to bareknuckle or similar quality, you may be disappointed, in other words. i haven't tried them (but hear generally good things). would like to try them eventually, if i can decide on a guitar which i'd like to put them in...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah but from reviews they seem good, but their most probably biased....

question, does Resistance and Inductance tell how hot the pickup is?
yeah, i generally don't trust reviews. they can help with reliability (if you hear a lot of people suffering from the same problems, for example), but you have no way of knowing how much high-end gear that person has tried to compare the product to, whether the person likes the same tones you do, etc. etc.

not too sure about inductance, resistance sort of tells you the output, assuming all things are equal (wire gauges etc.), but unfortunately all things rarely are equal.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?