Well I just found out after submitting the 150$ application fee, that surprise, surprise Berklee has a Part II to their application with an essay .

Can anyone give me some comments on what you think of what I've got so far?

If you have not had access to formal music training, describe what challenges you faced in developing your musicianship, how you overcame those challenges, and how that experience might contribute to your success as a student at Berklee.

At some point in everyone’s lifetime, they will come upon an instance that will revolutionize both their way of thinking and their entire life. When I was twelve years old, James Brown was my introduction to the vast realm of music. I had heard funk music, and there was no turning back. It was not his voice, or what he sang about, but instead I was finally able to hear the interplay of all the instruments as a whole. For me this changed my entire perception of what music was and from that moment on I knew I had found something truly special. This led me to the electric guitar, which has since become more than a part of what I do, but a part of me. The dedication and discipline that guitar required was something completely new to me, but in my gut I was determined to learn.

The next three years after finding James Brown, where a big change from what I had done for most of my life, where much of my “pre-guitar” life was spent playing video games and various sports, guitar sparked a shift of my mindset. I realized that if I wanted something I had to actively strive to achieve it. I couldn't sit back and simply hope for everything to come to me, I had to put in the practice in order to get where I wanted to be.

In elementary school, I was never introduced to a musical instrument, and thus never went through the drudgery most children experience when a parent forces them to play an instrument. Even though giving a child the gift of music is something very special, the fact that I never had an unpleasant experience with music in my childhood let me approach learning guitar with an open mind. I quickly began utilizing the Internet to find lessons, instructions, and forums to advance my study of the guitar, which in turn would be a struggle at times, but my determination was always what helped me push through to understand a lesson.

Picking up the guitar put me on the path to succeed in high school. I took what I had learned from guitar, and applied it to my schoolwork and studies. The improvement was evident, which showed me that with the right focus and determination I really could shape my future in the way that I wanted. I realized that if utilized this determination that is an essential part of who I am, that I could succeed at Berklee, even without formal music training. The drive to succeed is something that each and every one of us must learn in our own personal way at some point in our lifetime. Music gave me this drive at an early age, along with a good start down the path which will ultimately form my future.
|
Haha, they used the same question as last year.

I'd pinpoint what makes you unique as a musician because they definitely look for that. Also you need to stay on topic more. Talk about how you taught yourself and how this might have been beneficial to you.

Good luck and be prepared to run into more deceptive crap.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Jamingguitarist
What do you think of using James Brown as a loose intro? Too informal? Or do you think it fits?

It's fine. They're not looking for formalities. However, please keep on topic of the question.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by CrusaderKing
Are you talking about UC Berekely? cause im going to apply there in a year or so

Berklee College of Music i assume
in the first sentence, replace their with his. everyone is singular and you are using a plural pronoun of their. little things that could cause them to just throw out your paper
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. -Jimi Hendrix

Yairi DY-61 and I don't need anything else
I did this a while ago.

Talk about the challenges you faced learning songs by ear, learning music theory without any past experince, and how you worked through it and taught yourself how to read music(if you can), and how to construct music, rather than just jamming on E blues all day long.

You've already done quite well, just elaborate the points which directly answer the question being asked instead of talking about how music is your life and you sacrifice a virgin to it every week.
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win