I'm in the process of installing a bridge humbucker in the Strat I'm building. However, the screws are about 1/4 in. too long to fit in the cavity. I was thinking about just screwing them into the body. It would make wiring a pain, and same goes for removing the pickguard...

Anyone have any ideas? Its a highway one body I bought new from ebay, routed for HSS, but I have no idea how Fender ever managed to get humbucker screws to fit in there at one point.
Cut the screws
-Rudy

Quote by blackthought
Sometimes it's best to prepare for the worst possible eventuality... sex with Bill Murray.
Quote by DukeDeRox
I'm as shallow as a dry lake bed.
Either mark where the holes are being stopped by the body, and drill into the body so that the screws have some extra space to sit in, or simply cut off the excess bolt length.

if you are going to cut the excess off, make sure you have a nut nearest the head of the bolt when you cut the bolt length, because then you take the nut off of the bolt and it cuts and cleans the bolt thread, because cutting a thread f**ks it up a little, so if you dont have something already on the un cut side of the thread it will be hard to use again (if that makes sence? lol)

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
It'll be fine, use a breakaway cutter on a dremel tool, You'll still be okay. If the thread's a little messed, grab a pocket knife and fix the part that's bent.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by Absent Mind
Either mark where the holes are being stopped by the body, and drill into the body so that the screws have some extra space to sit in, or simply cut off the excess bolt length.

if you are going to cut the excess off, make sure you have a nut nearest the head of the bolt when you cut the bolt length, because then you take the nut off of the bolt and it cuts and cleans the bolt thread, because cutting a thread f**ks it up a little, so if you dont have something already on the un cut side of the thread it will be hard to use again (if that makes sence? lol)

What he said.

If you don't have a nut, screw the humbucker onto the screw, then cut the screw, put some candle wax on the cut bit of thread.

Wind the screw out, when you get near the end, do it back and forth a little as you back it out and this will clean the thread gently. The wax acts as a lubricant.

Better to use a Nut, but that would work also.
Or just buy some new screws that are the same thread but shorter...
What I do is grind the screw to the length I want. I don't just cut it, but grind it so that the thread remains intact.

You need some kind of bench grinder and some vice grips to hold the screw.