Ok, I've got some questions on some really basic stuff. I'm a total noob. Forgive me if I don't use proper guitar gear lingo.

Anyway, I have a Peavey Vypyr 30, and I need to know a little about setting it up to get the sound I want out of it. Right now I'm using the factory 6505 pre set. I have the amp encoder set to "red", which from what I understand is supposed to be the more "heavy" setting. I'm not quite getting that deep "crunch" like I want for metal.

It all sounds kinda twangy, if you know what I mean? Plus when I'm palm muting, I don't get a nice "chug", its more like a dead "thud" sound.

Or maybe its my guitar set up? I have an ESP EC50. I have been using the bridge pick-up. I have the tone knob cranked all the way up (clockwise). Where should I be running the pickup volume? I notice when I turn it up to where I'm getting a good heavy sound, I get lots of other unwanted sounds. Like, just adjusting the guitar in my hands or bumping the guitar will produce too much sound.

OK so a little big long-winded, and I probably sound like a doofus, but any help for this greenhorn would definitely be appreciated!!!!!
Quote by KAS1981
I notice when I turn it up to where I'm getting a good heavy sound, I get lots of other unwanted sounds. Like, just adjusting the guitar in my hands or bumping the guitar will produce too much sound.

sounds like you need to work on string muting. Either that or the gain is cranked, and that can create a whole lot of excess noise
Gear
Electric
Jackson JS30RR (EMG 81/85)
Jackson WRMG (SD SH-6 B/N)
Hohner Scorpion ST (Project guitar)

Acoustic
Ovation CC 057

Amp
Marshall Valvestate 2000 AVT100 1x12

Effects
Boss CH-1
Crybaby 535Q
ISP Decimator
to get rid of the extra noise lower the pick up volume and change the selector or you can get something called a noise gate. i have never used the amp so i cant help you there much but i like to take out some of the mid turn the treble almost all the way up and the bass at about half way
one of the biggest things people do when first starting with guitar, especially metal, is they put the gain all the way up. this is probably what the amps preset is, which will create a lot of noise. turn the gain down, put it at 6 or 7 and you'll instantly cut a lot of that noise. another thing is just getting used to the guitar, how to hold it, how to mute the strings when you're not playing.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
Quote by KAS1981
Ok, I've got some questions on some really basic stuff. I'm a total noob. Forgive me if I don't use proper guitar gear lingo.

Anyway, I have a Peavey Vypyr 30, and I need to know a little about setting it up to get the sound I want out of it. Right now I'm using the factory 6505 pre set. I have the amp encoder set to "red", which from what I understand is supposed to be the more "heavy" setting. I'm not quite getting that deep "crunch" like I want for metal.

It all sounds kinda twangy, if you know what I mean? Plus when I'm palm muting, I don't get a nice "chug", its more like a dead "thud" sound.

Or maybe its my guitar set up? I have an ESP EC50. I have been using the bridge pick-up. I have the tone knob cranked all the way up (clockwise). Where should I be running the pickup volume? I notice when I turn it up to where I'm getting a good heavy sound, I get lots of other unwanted sounds. Like, just adjusting the guitar in my hands or bumping the guitar will produce too much sound.

OK so a little big long-winded, and I probably sound like a doofus, but any help for this greenhorn would definitely be appreciated!!!!!

You're not getting the sounds you want because you're not very good at playing the guitar yet...simple as.

Metal guitar is inherently difficult - you can't just pick a guitar up and expect to play that kind of stuff, it takes time to develop the basic technique necessary before you get into the more complex stuff like palm muting.

Forget being a metal guitarist for the time being because you're not good enough yet, and you never will be unless you start at the beginning with the instrument and learn your basics.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com