Hey everybody, I'm having some trouble. My band has been together for about two months, and we are in the writing process, planning to play mostly original songs. Our bassist loves the idea of being in a band, but he just wont write bass lines, he just improvs every time we play. So, I would figure to kick him out, right? Well, one problem. He is my friend, and has been pretty much forever. What do I do? I don't want to lose him as a friend, but he lacks the needed ambition and I want the best for the band.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Tell him he's gotta step it up, give it to him straight.
Tell him if he likes being in the band you expect him to pick up his weight. Explain to him that each member is pulling their weight and it's not fair if he can just sit around.
Yeha tell that son of a mutha ****a to get his **** together.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
What's wrong with improvising? As long as he does it within a proper framework. I think that a good bassist should seldom play a bassline one certain way throughout a whole song. James Jamerson had it right.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
Quote by Ivanator
What's wrong with improvising? As long as he does it within a proper framework. I think that a good bassist should seldom play a bassline one certain way throughout a whole song. James Jamerson had it right.

this!
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by Ivanator

Dont get me wrong, I'm all for improvising. But all his improvs are the same, same framework for every song, he always sounds the same. I think the reason that he doesn't write lines is that he doesn't know how... but thats just speculation.
And good point, I should look at it as a business.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
I have trouble writing bass lines sometimes,lots if times they all sound the same but when we are writing a song my friends the guitarists just help me out with it.Sometimes i already have something sometimes they have something that i add onto. I we just help each other out maybe try that? The trouble we have is getting our one guitarist actually motivated to play, hes extremely talented when he does.
I have a similar situation with my bass player. Just talk to him. If he's too hard headed to understand, let it go for a while, bring it back up later.
UG's AC/DC Lover
K. We've tried talking to him multiple times and he just brushes it off. We help him out, but it's frustrating and takes twice as much time when we have to write guitar and bass parts and teaching them to him. But, I'll try talking to him a few more times beffore taking any serious measures.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
take the extra time and have him learn the bass parts than
if he refuses to practice them on his own time, well than hes just being an ignorant arrogant fool.
tats the thing, he doesnt write or practice our stuff, he goes home and looks up other bands tabs, then shows us all these songs he;s learned, and none of them are ours!
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Unless he's a really good player, then judging from what I've seen, I suggest you kick him out. He doesn't seem like he's worth the trouble.
Yeah, you shouldn't have friendship troubles over it unless the guy is kind of a dink. If you've made it very clear what is expected of him as part of the band, and after not reaching that expectation, you've explained to him what will happen if he doesn't get it in gear, then it's perfectly reasonable to kick him. No hard feelings at all, just sound reasoning--work to make it completely devoid of any emotional conotation.

He might be down about it for a bit, but he'll get over it. If he's been your friend for years, one little band breakup isn't going to estrange him from you.
I'm having a similar problem with my guitarist. Best to kick him out if you take your band seriously. If you guys are good friends then your friendship should endure.
We talked to him at practice and he seems to be putting more into it now. We'll know in a few practices
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino