Poll: What mellencamp song is more popular?
Poll Options
View poll results: What mellencamp song is more popular?
Jack and Diane
7 70%
Pink Houses
3 30%
Voters: 10.
Rain on the scarecrow, blackbird in the barn

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
what genre is it?
comparable bands?

never heard of him, feel like a leek now
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
that's a triple post dude:P
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by Lord Waltaa
what genre is it?
comparable bands?

never heard of him, feel like a leek now

Great, true songwriter with a popular collection of hits through the 80's and continues to support worthwhile causes and play live shows.

His music has been likened to Springsteen, CCR and The Rolling Stones.

Pink Houses is my favourite song.
I don't know about calling Mellencamp Country rock.
Maybe folk rock, but i think the closest to country you could call him would be southern rock.
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
Yeah I guess you could call him folk or southern rock, he has been doing a lot of acoustic lately. I saw him on july 14 in boston and most of his songs were much quieter or acoustic versions. Hes stil rocking though.
I feel immensely proud of my roots when I hear "Small Town".

Like Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen, Mellencamp writes lyrics that the everyday man can relate to.

Many of his songs, especially from Scarecrow, are as relevant as ever.
A Very American Rocker,like Springsteen, But also Dylan-esque when he wants to protest the plights of the world. Glad he dropped the "Cougar" name.
I really like "Uh-Huh" and Scarecrow.
I don't really think he's anything special. I find him boring and if he didn't write so many songs about how great America is he probably wouldn't be famous at all. IMO
I thought he was heartland rock? Y'know that style of music that existed about twenty five years ago and was too rock for country but not country enough for country rock?

Anyways, I'm a big Mellencamp fan - always will be.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
^Heartland rock

We have a winner
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
Quote by master
Seriously?? Dylan!

Looking at what each of them has done, that's just not a fair question. Mellencamp is talented and good in his own right, but come on...
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by chuckduck764
Who do you think was a better songwriter mellencamp or bob dylan?

Dylan clearly, undisputedly and most fairly superior songwriter, however Dylan would not have been ashamed if he asked Mellencamp during the 80's how to write catchy, from the heart, everyday man, chart hits.

When people compare songwriters to Dylan my rule of thumb is Dylan's stuff is more from the head and his brilliance with words, however those writers who are more heart and can relate to the listener a little easier and less cryptically than Dylan could have the edge.

It depends at which angle you choose to look at it.
A defiant and gravelly tone between Bruce Springsteen and John Fogarty. This guy used to smoke 3-4 packs of ciggies a day until he had a heart attack, almost 20 years ago.
Quote by chuckduck764
Does anyone know what keys mellencamp likes to sing in?

I believe the keys of A and G are favourites of his.

And to the guy talking about Mellencamp's smoking, in the Rolling Stone interview in the summer the writer he still smokes a pack a day or something crazy like that.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!