Poll: are all of the truly great guitarists weirdo's?
Poll Options
View poll results: are all of the truly great guitarists weirdo's?
yes
99 29%
no
89 26%
maybe they are... but maybe the're not...
150 44%
Voters: 339.
Page 1 of 4
I have a theory that all of the truly great guitarists are bloody mental, take jack white (my hero) for example he beleives that red white and black are the most powerful colours, 3 is the most powerful number, He legally changed his name to three quid whilst touring the uk and collects stuffed animal heads. But despite this he is a totally unique guitarist who is fast becoming one of the greatest of 21st century. Does anyone else no of any other guitarists that are brilliant but creepy bastards
Quote by rorypearce
"Orange amp owners unite"?

......form of... Tiny terror

Quote by CullenT
^

WIN!
He's too overrated.
Yet he's right about the colours.

Buckethead.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by rorypearce
I have a theory that all of the truly great guitarists are bloody mental, take jack white (my hero) for example he beleives that red white and black are the most powerful colours, 3 is the most powerful number, He legally changed his name to three quid whilst touring the uk and collects stuffed animal heads. But despite this he is a totally unique guitarist who is fast becoming one of the greatest of 21st century. Does anyone else no of any other guitarists that are brilliant but creepy bastards

Seems reasonable to me.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Bumblefoot and Buckethead are both a bit quirky.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
I wouldn't call an unhealthy fascination with chickens healthy
Quote by rorypearce

Quote by CullenT
^

WIN!
it has to be something to do with all the crack. im gonna try that
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
wtf is wes borland
Quote by rorypearce

Quote by CullenT
^

WIN!
im sorry but did you say jack white is one of the greatest guitarists of the 21st century

and you didnt hold up a flame shield! good luck with that
Everyone is weird in one way or another in someone elses eyes. therefore all great guitarists are weird to me
I got my own life to live,
I'm the one that's going to die
when its time for me to die.
So let me live my life
the way i want to.
-Jimi Hendrix, If 6 was 9
Quote by 666nate666
What the hell is with his eyes O.O

If Supernatural has taught me anything its a sign of demonic possession.
I'd agree that Jack White isn't all that special, but he is good.

Dave Gilmour seems normal enough, as do Clapton and Page.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by TEK34
he look like a skeletal monkey oh and wtf is a flame shield because i stand by my statement, name one other guitarist the truly emerged this century that is better than Jack white
Quote by rorypearce

Quote by CullenT
^

WIN!
Quote by rorypearce
name one other guitarist the truly emerged this century that is better than Jack white

Matt Bellamy
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Quote by TEK34
-picture of Wes-

Thank you muchly.
Many people wouldn't call him great, but meh, I love his sound.
Quote by rorypearce
he look like a skeletal monkey oh and wtf is a flame shield because i stand by my statement, name one other guitarist the truly emerged this century that is better than Jack white

lrn2internet

Tenacious D were awesome when I saw them.
Quote by roythereaper
Matt Bellamy
I thought someone would say that but in my eyes he is nowhere near as good as jack white as mr bellamy doesn't play with the passion and agression of mr White and his tones are noway near as good. Jack whites stuttery licks also sound a million times better than anything mr bellamy has ever cooked up
Quote by rorypearce

Quote by CullenT
^

WIN!
Quote by rorypearce

As much as I don't like MCR, Ray Toro is a damn good guitarist.
Carmel is hawt
Steve Vai and Frank Zappa are/were pretty wierd but unique dudes. I love them though, their obscurity makes them who they are.
Buckethead's the most wierd musician i've ever seen, but he plays like a mother****er!

One of my favourite guitarists.
Quote by dudius

afterward i thought about it and was like "wow, i just jerked off to a chubby girl sucking off a horse. i'm disgusting".

then i watched that segment again
Quote by rorypearce
I thought someone would say that but in my eyes he is nowhere near as good as jack white as mr bellamy doesn't play with the passion and agression of mr White and his tones are noway near as good. Jack whites stuttery licks also sound a million times better than anything mr bellamy has ever cooked up

It's entirely subjective, but I'd disagree with everything you just typed.
Call me Callum

Quote by Oli_88
Thank you muchly.
Many people wouldn't call him great, but meh, I love his sound.

He was the only decent thing in Limp Bizkits career

He rocked in the My Way video
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
+1 for ray toro. good spot.

id also like to bring Kris Coombes-Roberts to the table.
Funeral for a Friends guitarist. pretty crap band but his style is definitely unique i think.
jack white vs matt bellamy will have to wait, everyone has their own opinion
Quote by rorypearce

Quote by CullenT
^

WIN!
Quote by andy243
+1 for ray toro. good spot.

id also like to bring Kris Coombes-Roberts to the table.
Funeral for a Friends guitarist. pretty crap band but his style is definitely unique i think.

Same case with Ray Toro. I really want to meet him just to talk bout stuff.
It's a shame really 'cause he's a brilliant guitarist, but he has hardly ANY/good solos on MCR songs.

He should do a solo project
Carmel is hawt
Quote by rorypearce
But despite this he is a totally unique guitarist who is fast becoming one of the greatest of 21st century.

...what?

Being eccentric =/= Being great.

He is not an awesome guitarist too.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by rorypearce

I love both guitarists but its all down to opinion, they are on pretty different ends of the sound spectrum really, i think Matt tries to combine epic space-opera style soundscapes with kinda groovy riffs, although i really don't agree with what you said about him not playing with passion, just watch a few of their live videos, he goes absolutely nuts.

Jack White on the other hand has a signature sound, that being trashy garage rock, which is rather minimalist but effective and at the same time very quirky (take icky thump, for example), added to his unusual dress sense and the undeniable passion he puts into his live performances.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Liam.
He was the only decent thing in Limp Bizkits career

He rocked in the My Way video

Agreed, I quite like Black Light Burns too.

Tom Erak, Imo is amazing.
buckethead

article in guitar world about him recording with guns n roses scared me.

especially the part about the ****.
Quote by Oli_88
Agreed, I quite like Black Light Burns too.

Tom Erak, Imo is amazing.

I was dissapointed by the vocals, really don't like the voice
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by CrzyGuitarist93
buckethead

article in guitar world about him recording with guns n roses scared me.

especially the part about the ****.
all but two of the songs on the album are recorded by him
Quote by rorypearce

Quote by CullenT
^

WIN!
Well, you've got to work out whether these 'weird' acts by these guitarists are true signs of their madness, or just gimmicks for publicity.

/lawlcynicism
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by rorypearce

John Mayer? o_o
Page 1 of 4