I just got a fender hot rod deville 4x10 and I need some suggestions on what overdrive/distortion pedal would work best with it. The pedal is going to be used for mainly metallica and pantera, but it needs to work well with some reggae/ska harder metalish licks too.

Edit: I play a lot of Hendrix too, so if 1 pedal can cover all those that would be great, but I can always pick up another one.
Last edited by tbone33 at Dec 6, 2008,
Why did you buy a Fender if you're going to play metal? Or is this just for occasional metal?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
yeah just occasional. I play mostly cleans but I'll play some metal every now and then.
here are two pedals that will cover ANYTHING you will ever need for the type of music you play:

DigiTech Bad Monkey Overdrive Pedal

DigiTech Death Metal Distortion Peda

I have the death metal pedal and it kicks ass! and I've heard great things about the bad monkey.l
JOIN MY IRON MAIDEN FAN CLUB!!!! CLICK HERE!!!!!

My Gear:
Dean Baby ML Cowboy From Hell Finish
Dean M10 Amp
Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal
Ah, then good call. A fuzz would work best for Hendrix and a distortion for metal, I doubt you would cover both in one pedal. What's your budget?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by Iron_Maiden§
here are two pedals that will cover ANYTHING you will ever need for the type of music you play:

DigiTech Bad Monkey Overdrive Pedal

DigiTech Death Metal Distortion Peda

I have the death metal pedal and it kicks ass! and I've heard great things about the bad monkey.l

I wouldn't go for the Digitech Death Metal, it's a ****ing terrible pedal imo
The sound has very little dynamic range to it and it's horribly muddy, plus there's no gain control and it sounds horrible at loud volumes
If you want a pedal for metal your best bet would be an Electro-Harminix Metal Muff, or if you can afford it, a Damage Control Demonizer
ohai little sig.
If $80 is your limit then I don't think you will be able to get both sounds. You could go for a EHX Big Muff, it would do Hendrix pretty well. It apparently sounds best with the amp cranked a little bit, so don't be afraid to turn it up. As for the metal pedal, the EHX Metal Muff is highly regarded around here, I thought it sounded pretty good but I didn't get to try it for long. Also look into the new Digitech Hardwire series, people LOVE them but I haven't been able to try them at all.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by Demonikk
I wouldn't go for the Digitech Death Metal, it's a ****ing terrible pedal imo
The sound has very little dynamic range to it and it's horribly muddy, plus there's no gain control and it sounds horrible at loud volumes
If you want a pedal for metal your best bet would be an Electro-Harminix Metal Muff, or if you can afford it, a Damage Control Demonizer

actually it has a gain control
JOIN MY IRON MAIDEN FAN CLUB!!!! CLICK HERE!!!!!

My Gear:
Dean Baby ML Cowboy From Hell Finish
Dean M10 Amp
Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal
A Micro Metal Muff will do you just fine for occasional metal needs.

I'd recommend a Little Big Muff for fuzz.
Quote by Iron_Maiden§

It still isn't a very good pedal.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
the rat is all you need. or build a pedal, generalguitargadgets.com has cheap kits.
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
I tried a couple hardwires and actually found them pretty noisy, may have just been me though, I liked the metal muff much better although the top boost didn't sound that great. But yeah I'd do what people are saying and get a metal and big muff, just get whichever is more important for now. If you put the metal muff on your gain channel and EQ it right it should get a bit of fuzz too so if you dont know which to get first
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by Iron_Maiden§

No, it has a level control
Post-gain is different from pre-gain
ohai little sig.
Quote by tbone33

It's pretty good, but it may be worth springing the $20 or so extra for the original MM, it'll be a lot more flexible tonally and you'll be more likely to get nice lower-gain sounds from it too. It's not a massive price difference but it's by far worth it
ohai little sig.
That EH MMM got decent reviews from Guitar Buyer, and I haven't heard anything particularly negative about it. EH is a good company, so it would probably be a good buy.
no
alright cool. I can also pull some fuzz out of it with the distortion low?
Kind of. It's not going to be a pure fuzztone, but if you lower the gain it should still have some square-wave wool going on.
no
http://www.ehx.com/products/metal-muff
Check out the demo, the guy runs it through a Fender too, and gives a few examples of the tone you can get from it.
Since it's the same brand of amp I thought it would be somewhat useful to you
EDIT: It sounds a bit tinny because he has the bass at 5 and bass frequencies don't transfer very well into video cameras, but from first hand experience, all frequencies are very well covered
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Dec 6, 2008,