Ive been listening to loads of Incubus lately, and i really dig Ben Kenneys tone (not to be confused with that of Dirk Lance's in early records) and i was curious if anyone could give me some advice on how to EQ to get that sound out of my rig.

thanks!

my setup currently is

Cab: Gallien-Krueger Neo 410 800w
head: Gallien-Krueger 1001RB Mark - II

bass: Fender Marcus Miller Jazz bass
yeah, laklands make better jazz's then Fender but i was thinking i might be able to pull off something similiar with mine
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
yeah, laklands make better jazz's then Fender but i was thinking i might be able to pull off something similiar with mine

Meh. Have yet to find a jazz I've liked more than the marcus miller bass.
You should be able to pull off that tone.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
I'm a huge Ben Kenney fan... I've been listening to his stuff with The Roots, Incubus, and his solo work for years. Early in November I went to see his solo act at in Pontiac, and got there early enough to actually meet him and chat it up for a while before the show! He's an unbelievable musician and fantastic songwriter.

Anyway, if you want to nail his bass sound, he uses Lakland US and Skyline Joe Osborne 4-strings with GHS flatwounds and Lindy Fralin pickups. He records with a Mesa Walkabout 1x12 combo, and plays live with a Big Block 750 and Mesa 8x10. His picks are Dunlop Nylon .73mm. Other basses include a Lakland Hollowbody and Bob Glaub, and a Hofner.

To get his sound, you'll really need a Jazz bass and flatwounds, and plenty of picking and palm-muting.

The Marcus Miller may work, but it will probably be too bright, and the active preamp will throw off the sound. You need a passive Jazz with GHS flats. Other flatwounds may also be too bright, such as Rotosounds.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Dec 6, 2008,
I'm sure a Jazzwith flats and both pickups on, EQ flat on both bass and amp, should do the trick. I've seen him play at the bridge pickup too.

ANd I quite like GHS flats - they have that grippy stainless steel feel to them, not to gooey greasy feel of some other ones.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..