How different is the feel of the neck between these two guitars? I have heard that the strings on a les paul is slacker than a strat? Is this true? Based on pics alone it seems like lp have a flatter fretboard than a strat. The reason is because I am getting a epiphone lp custom next month, but meanwhile I can't get to try it out myself. So I would like to hear from you guys first. Thanks!
depends on the specific model, but the short answer would be "a lot". some more modern strats have a flatter fretboard radius... probably still a little rounder than a LP though.

strings (of the same gauge) should be slightly slacker on a LP, yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
strings are slinkier or slacker as you put it on a lp because the scale length is shorter
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Oh, and this is the internet. I have the right to be a douchebag. Fuck off.
Your grammar sucks, and you're stupid.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Quote by Dave_Mc
depends on the specific model, but the short answer would be "a lot". some more modern strats have a flatter fretboard radius... probably still a little rounder than a LP though.

strings (of the same gauge) should be slightly slacker on a LP, yeah.

i agree with this.
this answer can greatly change based on the specific models you compare however
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass (Active Electronics) (MIM)
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
^ yeah, definitely.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by VanCamp
Your grammar sucks, and you're stupid.

You sir, are a douche bag. The kid meant no harm. Save you venom for the harmful.
+1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by b-rock34
You sir, are a douche bag. The kid meant no harm. Save you venom for the harmful.

+1 no need for him to flameshield here, it's not like he asked why Nelson was the greatest band ever or something.
My MIA fender and LP have the same radius. If you get a vintage spec it may have the rounder radius. The 10s on my LP feel the same a set of 9s on my strat. So yes there is a noticable difference in feel. Not bad just different. There just such different guitars its hard to compare em. And the upper fret access is alot better on a strat.
les pauls have a thicker crunchier sound than strats, i think that humbuckers r better than single coils but strats r brilliant still
Yeah, strats are known for having higher string tension and thus, harder bending. Its part of what gives them that snappy tone. A les paul also has a chunkier neck that's covered in paint and gloss. The fat round body vs the thin contoured body makes it feel a lot different too.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
I think the similarities in feel between an LP and Strat end somewhere around "Made of wood" and "Has six strings".
no
Quote by b-rock34

+1
I have Strats and an LP. You definitely have to "fight" the strings with a lot Strats. But, the "feel" of a Strat is amazing once you get used to it. Also, because of the higher tension, the tone is "bell-like"...quite beautiful and really cuts trough. That's why a lot of Strat players seem to make 'em "cry" (that and a talent for it). Most LP's have a great feel and tone, too...just different. The strings certainly seem to have more slack, which is why I use higher gauge strings on my LP. I use my LP for "riffy" types of songs, songs that are power chord heavy, and even acoustic-ee types of songs. I use my Strats for solo-heavy songs, and almost anything bluesy in higher registers. Also, the Strats are much lighter, so I can play them for most of the show without shoulder fatigue. Not that you couldn't use either for any purpose...you could. I just happen to have the luxury of having both...so I do. Either way, I love both guitars.
Last edited by b-rock34 at Dec 6, 2008,
Haha yeah sorry about the grammer. Sorry I forgot to mention; I currently own a 62 strat with a C shaped neck. Apart from some classicals, I have only played strats my whole life, so the fact about strats having higher string tension is very interesting to me, thanks.
strings are slckaer because of the shorter scale. they are thicker strings to compensate. completely different guitars if you ask almost anybody. personally, i hate using 9's. i like to have a bit of tension and heaviness for a heavier tone and for comfort. that's just me anyways.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Jared88
Haha yeah sorry about the grammer. Sorry I forgot to mention; I currently own a 62 strat with a C shaped neck. Apart from some classicals, I have only played strats my whole life, so the fact about strats having higher string tension is very interesting to me, thanks.

Yeah, I was in the same boat. I was "raised" on Strats and was surprised the first time I heard someone say they had a higher tension. But, I prefer it, really. I use 10's on my Strats and 11's on my LP. It seems to make them feel a bit closer in tension.
Quote by Jared88
How different is the feel of the neck between these two guitars? I have heard that the strings on a les paul is slacker than a strat? Is this true? Based on pics alone it seems like lp have a flatter fretboard than a strat. The reason is because I am getting a epiphone lp custom next month, but meanwhile I can't get to try it out myself. So I would like to hear from you guys first. Thanks!

I personally find the Les Paul neck to be thicker and more like an acoustic's neck whereas the strat is rather thin compared to an acoustic guitar's neck.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
The LP has an angled neck, thus you can't put heavy strings on it (16 gauge etc.) which sucks for SRV and other type riffs. Strats are 10X brighter, and I prefer them, though LPs are awesome. Feel good, are Frikken heavy, but sound awesome as well.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
16 gauge strings mean 200 ibs of pressure. The angled means the strings can pull it towards the guitar.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by Jared88

if it's a 62, then it's probably going to feel quite different to a Les Paul (assuming your '62 has the "vintage spec"). narrower neck/nut width, rounder radius, higher string tension, etc. etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wait, I mean angled headstock. Also, the LP bridge could snap, but not the a Fender, which are solid. http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/92885-teles-heavy-strings.html Here's one source, scroll down and read Ed Bickert's post.
Quote by chip46
Oh, I confused headstocks and necks somehow.
Quote by chip46
ive played on lps and strats. I personally perfer the LP over strat. But either way you cant rely on us to give you answers. you need to go test a guitar at the closest store to you.
Say hello to Tilt-A-Whirl

Quote by a6l6e6x1
i shave my pubes, so should they

wait, i mean no i dont! hehe

*backs slowly out of the thread*
kinda similar but i have a SG and a Telecaster
i love the easy playability of the SG with smaller frets
and the tele has the most awesome tone ever!
Gibson SG Custom (w/ Bigsby)
Fender AS Telecaster
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
Marshall 1974 JMP MKII Super Lead
Big Muff Pi (not yet)
Dunlop Cry-Baby (not yet)
Quote by Jared88

I have both. You're right about the strings. Due to the shorter scale, they feel slightly slacker on the 'Paul. The fretboard is a little flatter, too. As for other differences- an un-chambered LP is significantly heavier than a Strat, the pickups sound a lot different, and the upper fret access on an LP is troublesome for some people.
Quote by Tackleberry
And the upper fret access is alot better on a strat.

+10000

Also on Strats it's somewhat easier to do tapping and sweeping and stuff like that. In steps of 'shredability' it like Les Paul-types < Strat-types < Ibanez RG-types

ofc that's not taking into account scallopped fretboards etc
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I love Strats and Les Pauls, but I found some middle ground with SGs. They lean more toward Les Pauls, but they offer a compromise if you like them.