G 4
D 4
A 2

and

G 3
D 3
A 1

How do you place your fingers?
I usually put the pinky finger on the G and D String and the index on the A. I think this is the best style to put them, because if you use 3 fingers and you need to move from 442 to 331, you will have a hard time.
In the beginning i used the 3 fingers (index on A, ring on D and pinky on G) but soon stop because when moving from string to another, fast, i couldn't keep up with it, so i start using just two fingers. With practicing, im managing to build strength with my pinky finger and able to press 2 or more strings down. Still sometimes, the G string buzzes a bit if it isn't well pressed, but i can see that i made improvements, has its more easy now to move my fingers this way, without making any buzz (comparing to some months ago).
I mix it up between two and three fingers depending on the chord that comes before or after or if im coming out of or going into different riffs
Quote by Chromex
I do this.

I do this
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Quote by Chromex
I do this.

but them you cant move fast between the strings, if there is another that is. If its always 422 them no problem but it theres more chords theres no way you can move with 3 fingers from one spot to another, well at least for me, thats why it depends on whats next, but since i build strength with my pink, i find it more easy to use only 2 fingers and its better this way.
practice and it will all come.
a few months ago u couldnt , now u got a bit of buzz.
it dont come overnight.
keep it easiest for what comes next , dont get fixated by one way.

chris(swales)
Quote by TunaFish
but them you cant move fast between the strings, if there is another that is. If its always 422 them no problem but it theres more chords theres no way you can move with 3 fingers from one spot to another, well at least for me, thats why it depends on whats next, but since i build strength with my pink, i find it more easy to use only 2 fingers and its better this way.

Of course you can.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I use 3 fingers (except for sometimes using index and ring depending on the riff). With 3 fingers, you can easily move between playing a power chord to and octave as some songs do.

Practice will let you go faster...
Quote by steven seagull
Of course you can.

i use 3 fingers.. but mostly i don't need them because i use drop tuning..
well you really do the way you like it or feel more comfortable to.... but is the 3 fingers way more easy? Has now im used to the 2 fingers technique...