Hi, I'm Richard. I'm new to UG, so I'll say some stuff about me.
I've been playing guitar for several years, started about 5 years ago, but I never got that serious. Added up, I'll say about a year of good practice. My gear consists ofa Harley Benton, and recently I aquired a vox tonelab. Untill then, it was all MT-2 through line in, and Guitar Rig to get a head/cab sound. No guitar amp, just a 10W computer hifi thing.

It sounded like crap. I know, tone is meaningless when you can't play, but heck, it actually hurt to hear it. After some tone seeking nights, I decided to drop it, and the rest of my practice sessions were mostly unplugged exercises. I've done them a lot - instead of learning a new track or trying to compose, I gave all the time to technique. In two months, I nailed everything in the warmup section of petrucci's rock discipline. But no gain, all pain (is that what they say? :P) - the unplugged sound was boring and unattractive to me. So I quit. This was happening in march 2008.

Recently, I got a call from guitarist friend. He told me that if I thought my tone was the problem, I should get something to enhance it. I haven't studied the market that much, but I loved the tonelab LE at first try. I can't get all the tones I want out of it, but it's great till now.

However, I don't know what to do next.

My objectives, on the guitar side, are playing in a band in a year or so.
On the musicmanship level, I want to be able to compose something bearable - my biggest success so far beeing a few connected riffs, over the minor and byzantine scale.

I'm thinking of finding a mentor. At the time the guitar fire was really there, I went through several teachers. At that point I was 17 (19 now). None actually had the patience with me after several lessons. One guy even told me - after several ok lessons - that I should play acoustic - cause he doesn't like electric that much.
After a "wait a minute, let me get this right" type of discussions, I realised having a guy into jazz enforcing his style on someone who doesn't enjoy jazz could only be a bad thing.

So, what should I do next?
Should I get an amp? Should I find a better teacher? Should I seek band members/look for a band? Learning songs by tabs or rentlessly playing chromatic exercises over and over hasn't done much of a progress yet.
Last edited by irichard at Dec 6, 2008,
You should buy an amp, turn it up to 11 and play what you like.

Stop being so goddamn serious, this is supposed to be fun.

Find some other people to go jam with. Experiment. Have fun.

Mentor?

Hope your shields are up.
Quote by MoroneSaxatilis
You should buy an amp, turn it up to 11 and play what you like.

Stop being so goddamn serious, this is supposed to be fun.

Find some other people to go jam with. Experiment. Have fun.

Mentor?

Hope your shields are up.

I agree with this guy. Lighten up and just enjoy yourself.
yea just mess around, play some of your favorite songs and just do what comes naturally.
Thank you for your replies.

I'll consider getting an amp, too. My guitar isn't in its best shape, though - i was considering more of an axe first. Beeing a cheap copy, it has audible fret buzz (not bad, but you can hear it), and after i tune it, frets over 12 are sometimes half a semitone off where they should be. I thought I was imagining this, but it sounds a little weird, and the tuner confirmed it. The volume control is badly placed, so after some intense riffs/licks, I find myself muted.
The bridge pickup gets s a lot of noise. Unusable unless I use high NR, which takes the joy out of power chords and aritificals. If I'll go with a humbucking configuration (it has S-S-S pickups), the tone gets quite dirty (I've played on true humbuckers, and they seem nice).
So, I thought a guitar should be better off first.

Mentor, teacher, you know, Someone who's been all the way and is happy to share its experience with others. For a cost, of course.

Am I that serious? I thought it was a good thing. I do enjoy playing - a lot!, but sometimes the thrill is gone (as someone said once).