hey guys!
I'm building a Fender Precision bass, and as far as i can see it, once i've got the neck (which will arrive in a few days) and the Hipshot D Tuner, i should be more or less finished with all the ideas i had for it when i started out.

here's the plan i made of it:

Once i have the neck it will basically look like that.

It's got official Fender P bass pick ups, a Badass Bass II bridge, Maple telecaster bass neck, hipshot D tuner and 3 official Fender machine heads, Ernie Ball strings

I did try to put some strat style knobs on it but they didn't fit
and i tried to put the bridge cover on but the Fender P bass bridge covers don't fit over Badass II bridges.

so, basically; any ideas for anything else i can do to it?
I don't want to change the paint job, but any suggestions to make it look cooler or make it work/sound better would be awesome
cheers!

oh, and if you want to see how it started out: click
Rockin' shit
Last edited by jimmyhotpants at Dec 6, 2008,
All of those stickers make it horrid. Are you going to make the neck with the vintage headstock? and that vintage bridge cover? I can't stand maple necks on basses...
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
yeah those stickers were on it because it came out of a £100 bass pack and i was about 12

and i think that maple necks generally look better and are nicer to play
the neck that i've ordered is a real one off a '72 Fender Telecaster and i'm not really intending to change the headstock
Rockin' shit
Quote by Ippon
Why cover the BadAss?

Where did you order your '50s-style neck with the Tele headstock and for how much?

you make a good point, covering the Badass doesn't make much sense, it looks as great as it sounds.
i bought the bridge cover before i thought of putting on a Badass bridge though

and the neck that i got was actually a '72 Telecaster bass neck, not exactly the one in the picture but still similar in shape. got it off ebay, just been refretted and paid £345 for it.
i was originally intending to get one from Warmoth and add my own decal but when an original Fender came along and the exchange rate changed, i couldn't resist the Fender.
Rockin' shit
Quote by maidendeth13
Mind if I ask how much everything cost and where you got it? ebay or a more legitimate guitar parts site?

certainly, neck was £345 on ebay (the guy had a website and a shop as well though) and that had just be refretted, but Warmoth will do you a neck to your own specifications for a reasonable price if you wanna look there
pickups are official Fender P bass, cost about £60 on ebay
Hipshot was £47.51 on ebay but that was with a 15% off voucher
a whole set of Fender machine heads will cost about £50 on ebay
pickguard was about £15 on ebay
strings were about £15 i think
can't remember how much the bridge cover was
can't remember how much the badass bridge was either, just remember that i got a really good deal during the summer because the exchange rate was so good and i got it delivered from the USA

got all of the stuff off ebay though apart from the pots and electric stuff, got that from a local music shop
Rockin' shit
Quote by jimmyhotpants
you make a good point, covering the Badass doesn't make much sense, it looks as great as it sounds.
i bought the bridge cover before i thought of putting on a Badass bridge though

and the neck that i got was actually a '72 Telecaster bass neck, not exactly the one in the picture but still similar in shape. got it off ebay, just been refretted and paid £345 for it.
i was originally intending to get one from Warmoth and add my own decal but when an original Fender came along and the exchange rate changed, i couldn't resist the Fender.
That sounds like a good price if you wanted a true vintage neck; however, if you just wanted the headstock shape, that price is pretty close to an actual MIJ Fender '50s RI bass.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-73-P-TELE-BASS-RARE-ROSEWOOD-NECK-LITE-RELIC_W0QQitemZ180311870392QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item180311870392&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Precision-Sting-Bass-Reissue-51-P-bass_W0QQitemZ330285661136QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item330285661136&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Reissue-51-Precision-Bass-Maple-Blonde_W0QQitemZ280288557354QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item280288557354&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

well i did at first only want the shape and i wouldn't have been willing to pay such a high price if it weren't official
and those basses wouldn't really work for me, first one had a rosewood fretboard, second was a Sting bass so had his sig 12th fret and the third one just isn't to my liking, and is rather expensive. don't really like the Telecaster bass body either, so probably wouldn't ever use it.
Rockin' shit
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
All of those stickers make it horrid. .

Actually i think it looked pretty good. But anyway good luck with the mod TS
Quote by maidendeth13
when you bought the pickups did they come with all the wiring and tone knobs etc?

no, it was just the pick ups attached to a mounting plate with pickup covers on and there were some wires but it wasn't everything you need, you have to get your own potentiometers and knobs and all that wiring stuff
i just bought the pickups and took them, along with the body, to my local music shop and had them do everything for me.
Rockin' shit