Page 1 of 2
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7769199.stm

Dutch authorities have revealed details of their plans to clean up Amsterdam's famous red light district.

They say they will close half the city's brothels, sex shops and marijuana cafes in a bid to drive organised crime from the city centre.
Council officials gave the sex industry a warning a year ago that they were going to close some brothels.

The deputy mayor of Amsterdam says the plans will stop the city being a "free zone" for criminals.

Last year the city said it wanted to close one-third of the red light district's brothels, where scantily-clad prostitutes display themselves in shop windows.
But the new measures aim to reduce the number of sex "windows" from 482 to 243, a council spokesman said.

Amsterdam also wants to close half of the 76 marijuana shops in the city centre.

City centre 'decay'

The city council says that some other businesses are also related to the decay of the city centre, including peep shows, sex shows, mini-supermarkets, phone and souvenir shops, and they will also be shut down.

It says there are indications that some red light businesses serve as a cover for organised crime, including drugs and the trafficking of women.
"Money laundering, extortion and human trafficking are things you do not see on the surface but they are hurting people and the city. We want to fight this," said Deputy Mayor Lodewijk Asscher.

"We can still have sex and drugs but in a way that shows the city is in control."
Officials have set aside some 39m euros (£33m) to bring back hotels, boutiques, galleries and restaurants to the area.

'Tolerant and crazy'

The plans come just days after a national ban on hallucinogenic or "magic mushrooms" from shops known as Smart Shops.

The BBC's correspondent in the Netherlands, Geraldine Coughlan, says the latest plans go much further than had been expected.

Critics say the crackdown in Amsterdam is the latest example of a hardening of the traditional liberal Dutch approach to social issues including prostitution and soft drug use.

But Mr Asscher said that the changes would be more in line with Amsterdam's image as a "tolerant and crazy place, rather than a free zone for criminals".
"It will be a place with 200 windows (for prostitutes) and 30 coffee shops, which you can't find anywhere else in the world - very exciting, but also with cultural attractions," he said, adding: "And you won't have to be embarrassed to say you came."

Prostitution will be allowed only in two areas in the district - notably De Wallen (The Walls), a web of streets and alleys around the city's medieval retaining dam walls.
The area has been a centre of prostitution for hundreds of years.

Prostitution was legalised in the Netherlands in 2000, formalising a long-standing tolerance.

Marijuana is technically illegal in the Netherlands, but prosecutors will not press charges for possession of small amounts. Coffee shops are able to sell it openly.

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!1
Quote by GrungeJunkie
Angry Squirrel is Angry!!!

Quote by Joe-Fish
Pain in the ass. We got 6 inches last friday. We got another 8 inches today. We're supposed to get 10 more inches by christmas.

yeah ... thats just going to mean people have to line up.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Where will I get my hookers and weed now? Oh wait, germany.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Good move.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices

Good for you, Amsterdam. It's seriously an embarrassment for them when their finest city is known by the world only for their red light district.
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
supply and demand might bite these guys in the ass, or it'll all work out....who knows

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Quote by deafening
supply and demand might bite these guys in the ass, or it'll all work out....who knows

Sorry, I'm very immature.
Quote by :Vicious--
how did u guys get from pit flags to mace windu raping kids using an ice cream truck

Quote by -Vogel-
"Don't touch my buttsecks"
Wait they want to make their city more respectable looking by closing down half the professional places people get their various vices fufilled?

Yup, because seeing some **** hangin round a street corner sellin draw is much more respectable.
I'm wondering whether this will do anything to lower the city's crime rates. Seems rather unlikely to me to be honest.

Quote by Kensai
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Where will I get my hookers and weed now? Oh wait, germany.

See you next tuesday.
Quote by DanRev
Wait they want to make their city more respectable looking by closing down half the professional places people get their various vices fufilled?

Yup, because seeing some **** hangin round a street corner sellin draw is much more respectable.

Better than the government tacitly promoting prostitution and drugs.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
"We can still have sex and drugs but in a way that shows the city is in control."

people are so weak willed nowadays
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
Quote by TheQuailman
See you next tuesday.

Same price as usual?
Quote by TEK34
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7769199.stm

But Mr Asscher said that the changes would be more in line with Amsterdam's image as a "tolerant and crazy place, rather than a free zone for criminals".
"It will be a place with 200 windows (for prostitutes) and 30 coffee shops, which you can't find anywhere else in the world - very exciting, but also with cultural attractions," he said, adding: "And you won't have to be embarrassed to say you came."

Anyone else find this funny?
Goodbye tourist money then. They're basically shooting themselves in the foot, even though what theyre doing is good.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Kensai
Same price as usual?

Depends. We'll have to talk about this if you're going to wreak havoc on the hotel room again.
But the goats, prostitutes and the rodeo clown are ready and we've got a coke line from here to Kalamazoo.
Quote by metaldud536
I woudln't like to live in a place known for hookers and drugs.

in case there was a misunderstanding to what i said i wouldn't want to live in a place known for hookers and drugs either. i meant that its sad how they think by closing down a few places they're in control and being known for drugs and prostitutes is justified
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
Quote by Ace88
Goodbye tourist money then. They're basically shooting themselves in the foot, even though what theyre doing is good.

Amsterdam will always have a booming tourist trade, red light district or not. Only idiots know about it just for the district.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Better than the government tacitly promoting prostitution and drugs.

Those are two of my favorite things!

Cocaine on assess and nuggets in bubblers
Bright coloured 'glass-pipes' and warm dirpping pussy
Brown low-priced prostitutes tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by TheQuailman
I'm wondering whether this will do anything to lower the city's crime rates. Seems rather unlikely to me to be honest.

C. U. next tuesday.

fixed

i am going in 3 weeks. It will be good in the cafes because they will be less but more busy and more full of smoke. Hope the greenhouse effect doesnt close i LOVE that bar.
Quote by TheQuailman
Depends. We'll have to talk about this if you're going to wreak havoc on the hotel room again.
But the goats, prostitutes and the rodeo clown are ready and we've got a coke line from here to Kalamazoo.

Ah yes, the tuesay night pinata. Let the fesitivites begin!

On tuesday.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Amsterdam will always have a booming tourist trade, red light district or not. Only idiots know about it just for the district.

So that's like 80% of the tourists then?
So instead of placing stricter regulations on the shops they instead shut them down which forces their business onto the black market... brilliant.
Quote by Steven Wright
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Shush you When I last went, the museums were crazy packed. Very romantic city is Amsterdam as well.

I agree. Van Gogh museum is good but Anne Franks house is pretty boring. They should have put in some nazi mannequins to spice it up a bit.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Shush you When I last went, the museums were crazy packed. Very romantic city is Amsterdam as well.

Yeah sure they were packed... WITH IDIOT TOURISTS!!!

No really it's a great city. I love those medieval towns. It's on my list for places to go next summer.
Oh wow, I really hope it's just Amsterdam's way to justify charging more for their stuff(which isn't good, but better than the latter) and not finally caving into political pressure
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

Quote by Kensai
Yeah sure they were packed... WITH IDIOT TOURISTS!!!

No really it's a great city. I love those medieval towns. It's on my list for places to go next summer.

My old man was giving us the ol' tour once, and there's very interesting things that people may not notice- on the canals, the houses often have pully mechanisms protruding out the front of the house on the top floor- for people to life goods off of boats etc.
Quote by Mezzo4te
I agree. Van Gogh museum is good but Anne Franks house is pretty boring. They should have put in some nazi mannequins to spice it up a bit.

Meh, can't say, I cared too much about Amsterdam in the first place. I'd still like to visit it though.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Tourism is going to decline.
"I'm sick of following my dreams man. I'm just ask where they're going, and hook up with them later."
Quote by Deliriumbassist
My old man was giving us the ol' tour once, and there's very interesting things that people may not notice- on the canals, the houses often have pully mechanisms protruding out the front of the house on the top floor- for people to life goods off of boats etc.

That sounds pretty cool. I love exploring so I probably won't even go to the tourist traps.

But I want to ride one of those bikes that are like tandem bikes, only circular. If anyones heard of those (cant find them on google pics )
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Yeah, cos there's that house place, with that book and the girl, and some bad guys and someone dies. Right?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by AStrangleHold

Good for you, Amsterdam. It's seriously an embarrassment for them when their finest city is known by the world only for their red light district.

Get a new finest city? Seriously, that's a bummer for the amsterdamians /noclue
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Page 1 of 2