Right. I think i need some help/advice/guidance etc. I really only play guitar as a hobby, apart from doing a music course at college, and im not in a band or anything like that. That said, that doesn't mean i wouldn't mind being awesome. But lately i definitely feel like ive stopped improving and maybe even got worse...

I've been playing around 4 years or so, with some gaps in between (e.g. i've hurt my wrist a couple of times, so probably about -6 months playing time ). I had lessons for several months and they helped a lot, i took a break then went back to them, but really cant afford to have any more at least not for the forseeable future - im a student. I was working in a music shop about a year and a half ago, so was surrounded by instruments, and even taught a couple of friends some basics which was good for me and them. I guess when i uni started i played less. And in July i got glandular fever/mono/the 'kissing disease' etc. Which really ****ed me up (ive semi-recovered now) so i maybe didnt even pick up a guitar for 2-3 months.

Now when i play which still isnt very often i just seem to sound a bit crap really. I think part of the problem may be that im still trying to play satch stuff or whatever (which i could never really play that well in the first place!), but apart from anything the speed just isnt there. Also i used to play a lot with some form of distortion, and sure it sounded good to me, but i think it hid a lot of mistakes.

I feel like i need to start again - maybe not right from the beginning! but im just not sure how to go about at least getting to level i was at before. Maybe people could suggest some songs or exercises. I know practice obviously helps, but when i sound crap i just want to put the damn thing down, and cos ive been sick i dont really have the energy to keep playing and playing.
Fender Strat Build
Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster MEX
Fender Telecaster USA

Laney LC50-II
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
ProCo TheRat
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Ernie Ball 6166
Line 6 DL4
Line 6 TP UX2
Find some music that you like, and that is realistic for your skill level.

Learn it, play it, enjoy it.
shred is gaudy music
dude, satch music, thats a little advanced,try getting easier songs, like godzilla,nirvanna stuff, hack even blink 182, then play harde stuff like buckethead,metallica, or w/e u like.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by nowa90
dude, satch music, thats a little advanced,try getting easier songs, like godzilla,nirvanna stuff, hack even blink 182, then play harde stuff like buckethead,metallica, or w/e u like.

Only some satch stuff, a lot of his songs or at least main parts of them aren't too difficult for me (or at least they werent) e.g. always with you always with me - i dont know how difficult people think that song is, but i could at least play that pretty well id say...
Fender Strat Build
Fender Telecaster USA

Laney LC50-II
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
ProCo TheRat
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Ernie Ball 6166
Line 6 DL4
Line 6 TP UX2
Depends how high you turn it up

Maybe i phrased that kind of badly - i think its more with general playing, some stuff could be cleaner etc. I always hear more clearly where i make mistakes when i play without any OD.
Fender Strat Build
Fender Telecaster USA

Laney LC50-II
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
ProCo TheRat
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Ernie Ball 6166
Line 6 DL4
Line 6 TP UX2