For a senior project i have to do at my school, i figured i would mod the **** out of my old Yamaha Pacifica. on a prior occasion, i installed a kill switch. I plan to clean it, install a floyd rose, and new dimarzio pickups. i am doing a gibson style two humbuckers and three way switch. that's about it for now, i will include pictures
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
oh man, i dunno. from what ive heard, pacificas are generally pretty bad, i dunno if it would be worth it to spend the $400(ish) on parts for it. im assuming this is a shop/construction class, so my suggestion would be to build one from scratch. build the body, buy the neck and the rest of the parts, that way u can do w/e body style u want too.
imo.
They're not bad, for a beginner's guitar. I wanna know how this goes cause I was thinking of modding mine.

Good Luck

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Quote by RIP_bonham
oh man, i dunno. from what ive heard, pacificas are generally pretty bad, i dunno if it would be worth it to spend the $400(ish) on parts for it. im assuming this is a shop/construction class, so my suggestion would be to build one from scratch. build the body, buy the neck and the rest of the parts, that way u can do w/e body style u want too.
imo.

Then you heard wrong matey.

Granted, a 012 is made of Agathis, so...yeah, not good, but the 112, is alder with a maple neck, older ones have Birdseye finger board, brilliant neck and great neck to body fit.

So, if the neck to body fit and the neck and body, are just as good as a Fender, then everything else can be changed, matey...
i do have an 012, so not the best. but i like it, so it should be fine. it's not for a shop class, just a big project i need to do to graduate.
Epiphone G-400
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

Quote by Skeet UK
So, if the neck to body fit and the neck and body, are just as good as a Fender, then everything else can be changed, matey...

Yes.. because we all know that if the neck to body fit is good then the guitar MUST be amazing.

....it's kind of expected to be good with ALL guitars that aren't beginner guitars.
Really old Pacifica models are excellent guitars - but I would question whether replacing the pick-ups on one can be considered an improvement - they are good to start with.
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Yes.. because we all know that if the neck to body fit is good then the guitar MUST be amazing.

....it's kind of expected to be good with ALL guitars that aren't beginner guitars.

I'm sorry, what are you saying?

Did you read what I said?

The Pacifica IS a beginners guitar.

If the neck and neck to body fit are good, then NO, that doesn't make the guitar AMAZING.
And, to the contrary, even NON Beginner guitars, do not always have such a good fit.

I said, "everything else can be changed". So, the guitar can sound like a heap of ****e, but as long as the neck to body fit and the neck are good, all of the other components can be changed on a Strat style guitar, to make it SOUND AMAZIN'.

So I don't really see what you were getting at, unless you just felt like being argumentative (why?) or you misread what I wrote.
Quote by Skeet UK
I'm sorry, what are you saying?

Did you read what I said?

The Pacifica IS a beginners guitar.

If the neck and neck to body fit are good, then NO, that doesn't make the guitar AMAZING.
And, to the contrary, even NON Beginner guitars, do not always have such a good fit.

I said, "everything else can be changed". So, the guitar can sound like a heap of ****e, but as long as the neck to body fit and the neck are good, all of the other components can be changed on a Strat style guitar, to make it SOUND AMAZIN'.

So I don't really see what you were getting at, unless you just felt like being argumentative (why?) or you misread what I wrote.

Alright, it is a beginner guitar. That's something which I clearly was forgetting, but still. The neck could be warped, frets badly done or many other things which could also cause the guitar to be very difficult to mod. If you are confident that it will be a good guitar to mod though then go ahead, you might be right.
The Pacifica 012s that have come through my store have been pretty good, up until the last two. The first had a bad bridge pickup (it was dead XP) and the second had some horrible high E string breakage at the tuner and the bridge.

Sorry, tangent. Most of them are great. They have much better necks than the Squiers (IMHO) and the bodies are... well, good? Nothing to write home about, but definitely quality stuff.

Sheet said everything else. I would recommend new pickups for sure. After that, it's kind of what you want to do. New (locking) tuners will improve tuning stability, but to that end I would also look at a new nut and even perhaps replacing the bridge. If you want to get into some woodworking (who doesn't?) put in a bridge with a full-size block. I ordered one from guitarfetish.com for the guitar I'm building for my sister. I'm hoping it's as high quality as it looked online.

As for tuners, I like the Planet Waves Auto-Trim tuners, but everyone has their favorites. Also, another personal touch, I hate cheap 5-way switches, so I almost always replace them with a Fender one. If the pots work, I can't think of any reason to replace them, though I have terrible luck with poorly-made mini pots. They keep crapping out on me, so I try and replace them will full-size ones, which seems to hold up better. Heck if I know why, maybe it's just my bad luck :P

Slap some strap locks on that sucker and you'll have yourself a killer ax!
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Last edited by GravyFish at Dec 7, 2008,
Quote by GravyFish

Sheet said everything else....

SKEET Dude, Skeet

There is no such thing as bad publicity, so long as they spell your name right
Quote by GravyFish
The Pacifica 012s that have come through my store have been pretty good, up until the last two. The first had a bad bridge pickup (it was dead XP) and the second had some horrible high E string breakage at the tuner and the bridge.

Sorry, tangent. Most of them are great. They have much better necks than the Squiers (IMHO) and the bodies are... well, good? Nothing to write home about, but definitely quality stuff.

Sheet said everything else. I would recommend new pickups for sure. After that, it's kind of what you want to do. New (locking) tuners will improve tuning stability, but to that end I would also look at a new nut and even perhaps replacing the bridge. If you want to get into some woodworking (who doesn't?) put in a bridge with a full-size block. I ordered one from guitarfetish.com for the guitar I'm building for my sister. I'm hoping it's as high quality as it looked online.

As for tuners, I like the Planet Waves Auto-Trim tuners, but everyone has their favorites. Also, another personal touch, I hate cheap 5-way switches, so I almost always replace them with a Fender one. If the pots work, I can't think of any reason to replace them, though I have terrible luck with poorly-made mini pots. They keep crapping out on me, so I try and replace them will full-size ones, which seems to hold up better. Heck if I know why, maybe it's just my bad luck :P

Slap some strap locks on that sucker and you'll have yourself a killer ax!

i was thinking the ernie ball straplocks, and i shall look into the tuners. i am doing a three way gibson style switch with two humbuckers.

Bridge:
DiMarzio DP152 Super 4 (bridge, f-fspaced)

Neck:
DiMarzio DP151 Pro Pickup

those are my pickup choices, haven't bought them yet, any feedback?
Epiphone G-400
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

i also had a question on installing a floyd rose. the nut on the top, in order for it to fit, i need to rout it down a tad, but the truss rod is right there. if i were to rout, i might hit it. i have some room, but i am still kinda worried about it. any advice?
Epiphone G-400
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

also, i know the bottom pickup should be F-spaced because of the floyd, but what about the neck? should i buy the f-spaced of that too?
Epiphone G-400
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
i also had a question on installing a floyd rose. the nut on the top, in order for it to fit, i need to rout it down a tad, but the truss rod is right there. if i were to rout, i might hit it. i have some room, but i am still kinda worried about it. any advice?

you could just avoid getting the locking nut, and get locking tuners. they serve the same funktion and you save some possible problems with routing and intonation.

also, are you sure you can make a rout for the FR? If you can't, i reccomend you khaler trem. It doesnt need any routing for strats, they are really smooth, and some people prefer them over FRs.

http://wammiworld.com/Installation.html

installation is easier than with an FR, requires no routing for your strat-style guitar, and i think it looks flashier.

/commercial (lol)
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Mar 23, 2009,
Your user title message thing describes you well, Idnevelo.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by lefthandman9876
why not just buy a proper amp?

i'm working on it
Epiphone G-400
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
i'm working on it

Hey, you're in my position right now. I am currently working on modding a Yamaha Pacifica as well and I have the same model (012). I will not be installing a Floyd however, that might be too over the top for a Yamaha guitar. I will be putting in a Seymour Duncan Lil' Screamin' Demon and perhaps a new bridge and a killswitch. Generally this guitar is very playable and would definitely be an exceptional guitar if modded. But if I were you I would invest in a better amp first, yeah. Most of your tone comes from the amp.
Last edited by artofshred at Jul 12, 2009,
Kahlers are great. they drop onto guitars like that with almost no work.

you can also get a string lock that goes behind the nut. http://www.kahlerparts.com/Part_Pages/5513.htm check it out, very easy to install, and much less work than new tuners.

you don't need an f-spaced neck pup. really, it doesn't matter if anything's f-spaced or not. i have an f-spaced pup in the bridge position on my SG. sounds fantastic, and no problems. but no, just get a regular neck pup.

the PAF is a great pickup, i don't really know about the bridge one you suggested. but listen to clips and see if you like it and if it fits your style.
Quote by Skeet UK
SKEET Dude, Skeet

There is no such thing as bad publicity, so long as they spell your name right

Megadeath?
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Quote by Josher.K
Megadeath?

No...more likely a cross between P T Barnum and Oscar Wilde really...
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!