I have come across a couple of artists recently that are doing something fairly unique with their take on the blues and wandering who else people have discovered.

The 2 that spring to mind for me are Gangstagrass who mix hip hop with bluesgrass.
You can download the album for free from www.gangstagrass.com

And Gutbucket Slim who has sampled famous singers and hip hop artists and mixed them with his own fabulous guitar playing.
The album is also downloadable for free here http://www.growmyvision.com/CLIENTS/GUTBUCKET/gutbucketdownload.html
or visit the myspace page here http://www.gutbucketslim.com

The cool thing about both these artist are they are giving their music away for free, which in itself is taking music to a new place.

Anyone else have recommendations to check out?
James Michael Thompson is getting kinda progressive. Although most of his stuff is very traditional based he adds variation with his 8 string guitar, crazy african gut vocals and on his album 'Good News Blues' he uses loads of crazy swirly moody effects that don't really belong there but add a whole new element to the songs.

Black Keys latest album had some more progressive elements to it, though they were probably more to do with Danger Mouse producing than the band?

I guess Robert Randolph counts aswell but it's debateable how blues he is IMO. More like christian pop with blues influence but still I guess it's something different.

TBH I don't think blues has many directions it can go, and usually the best things happen when you go back to the roots instead of trying to push out in new directions.
Quote by TheDev01dOne

TBH I don't think blues has many directions it can go, and usually the best things happen when you go back to the roots instead of trying to push out in new directions.

Agreed, it's fairly settled now, due to how long it's been around.
Recently, the best music has been the more rootsy acoustic stuff, although there is Joe Bonamassa.

Oh, I forgot Oli Brown, he's like 18 or something? He's really good already.
I agree: go back to basics. My favourite stuff is the rough around the edges, let's not give a toss if there's a few mistakes in there blues. I do like artists like BB King very much, but I always preferred John Lee Hooker (not that he makes a bunch of mistakes, more like he's really been there). Black Keys, John Spencer Blues Explosion, (some) White Stripes: no frills and from the heart.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
I think it wouldn't be presumptuous of me to say that Derek Trucks is taking the blues in a direction, that Coltrane sought to take jazz in. That doesn't necessarily mean that the sound which results in the end is drastically different from the existing idiom, however the aesthetics of the art itself is continually in flux, and Derek Trucks is tapping into that matrix with ease and panache (as did Coltrane).