I just bought a pickup (Dean Markley, the kind that wedges in the hole) and its hardly picking up anything. If I turn the volume all the way up I can hear it a little but not near as loud as it should be. Whats going on? is it upsidedown or something? (Lol) am i just stupid? Please help!!!
I hate my sig
How's the pickup height?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
how close is it to the strings. Have you wired everything properly?
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
i dont know exactly what you guys mean, im kinda a noob. as far as heigh goes, i just wedged it in the hole just like the pictures, and i didnt wire anything. it just came in a box without any instructions and i just kinda shuved it in there. (no dirty undertones intended lol)
I hate my sig
They're confused. They're talking about electric guitar pickups when you're looking for advice on an aftermarket acoustic pickup.

Are you running it through an EQ (equalizer). With aftermarket pickups you need to buy an EQ to plug the pickup into, then plug the EQ into your amp.

EDIT: Go look in the Official Electronics for Acoustics sticky for a good EQ. I would personally suggest a Fishman. They make great electronics for acoustics.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
im not running it through an EQ. I didnt know you had to. the guy at Sam Ash didnt say anything about that. Thanks!
I hate my sig
What are you plugging it into? You need a power amp. Unless you are running it into a computer or mixer.
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
I tried running it through both my amp and mixer. both with the same results (very quiet unless i turn the volume way up)
I hate my sig
I have a pickup like that for an acoustic maybe try getting it as close to the strings as possible. I have not used mine very much but I do believe I had the same thing happen, Very quiet. Try the Makers website for some FAQ or e-mail them, I'm sure you can find the answer somewhere online. Good Luck
My Gear
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
No, just go get an EQ. It's the best method of controlling an acoustic pickup. Take your acoustic and the pickup to samash and ask the guy in the acoustic room about external EQ's. If they don't have any, time to go to MF and order one. If you don't like it, send it back for a different one.

Once you've done all of this, let me know how you like the pickup I'm planning on getting one for my acoustic sometime soon so I need opinions
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
^Haha alright. thanks for all your advice guys. I hope this EQ isnt too much, im also saving up for a half stack
I hate my sig
With a passive type pickup like most soundhole pickups, you'll need a preamp/DI box to boost the signal. Passive magnetic pickups are very weak on their own. There was a good one suggested in the electronics thread. I believe it was $60 or $70. Somewhere around there. It's not TOO expensive, but it's not that cheap either. You'll greatly benefit from it though.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Oh, wait. Sorry. That's what I meant by EQ is a preamp. I always get those confused. I mean, they call them either onboard EQ or onboard preamp in guitar descriptions.

And I'll have to check out the electronics thread sometime soon. I'm going to need a pickup for my acoustic after New Year's
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Yes an external pre-amp is absolutely essential if you want useful sound. The jerks who sold you it should have told you that.
i know! they didnt even say anything about needing a preamp. that makes alot of sense. thanks again
I hate my sig
I dont believe so. you need something like the v_amp from behringer I know it is an amp modeler but it should work or I was thinking about a Mic preamp, anybody out there think a mic preamp would work as well.
My Gear
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/LR-Baggs-Gigpro-Acoustic-Guitar-Preamp?sku=307107

Something like this would be much more suitable. It clips on to your belt so you can control it easily.
Equipment:

god everything in music has to be so expensive. drop $50 on a pickup then relise you need an $80 preamp all while your trying to save up for a new amp
I hate my sig
Dont worry. A preamp is pretty much a one time buy. It'll last you years if you treat it right. So if you ever buy another passive pickup in the future(for a better guitar maybe?), you can just reuse it.
Equipment: