hey guys, im new so sorry if this is in the wrong place

i want to do a pickup swap on my Ibanez S470DXQM (Blue moon burst)

as it came with the INF1 and 2 and the INFS1 pickups and they just seems weak and i really want this guitar to scream! i play metal, from Iron Maiden to Dream theater (well, i try! ) so i want a really nice rhythm and a ridiculous face melting lead sound! now im completely rubbish when it comes to the technical side of guitars, so i found two pickups and wondered if theyd go together!

DIMARZIO DP207F D-Sonic Humbucker with a SEYMOUR DUNCAN SH13 DIMEBUCKER. sorry i know its probably 2 of a similar thing, i havent learnt about it etc. any help/advice would be appriciated. for the sake of making things easy, price isnt a worry atm. i have job

so yeah, if they would/wouldnt work, please tell! i was also thinking about John Petrucci's setup, the D-sonic with the other one...Air norton or something. so! thanks for reading etc!

<br>
Im using a Line6 Spider III 150watt!
Last edited by Moomar at Dec 6, 2008,
oh yeah sorry lol thats kinda important, im running through a Line 6 Spider III 2x12 150watt. i hear theyre unpopular on these boards! i love it! but personal choice n'all that!
+1, what amp?

And the Dimebucker blows.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Moomar
hey guys, im new so sorry if this is in the wrong place

i want to do a pickup swap on my Ibanez S470DXQM (Blue moon burst)

as it came with the INF1 and 2 and the INFS1 pickups and they just seems weak and i really want this guitar to scream! i play metal, from Iron Maiden to Dream theater (well, i try! ) so i want a really nice rhythm and a ridiculous face melting lead sound! now im completely rubbish when it comes to the technical side of guitars, so i found two pickups and wondered if theyd go together!

DIMARZIO DP207F D-Sonic Humbucker with a SEYMOUR DUNCAN SH13 DIMEBUCKER. sorry i know its probably 2 of a similar thing, i havent learnt about it etc. any help/advice would be appriciated. for the sake of making things easy, price isnt a worry atm. i have job

so yeah, if they would/wouldnt work, please tell! i was also thinking about John Petrucci's setup, the D-sonic with the other one...Air norton or something. so! thanks for reading etc!

<br>
Im using a Line6 Spider III 150watt!

Air norton in the neck and a D-sonic in the bridge is fine. SH-13 isnt a neck pickup so that wouldnt be the best choice. The formula is higher output pickup in the bridge and lower output pickup in the neck. Dimarzio and Seymour duncan both have pickup selecters that should point you in the right way.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
ok now this is gonna make me the new UG noob champion or something lol, but which one is bridge and neck. i am so braindead when it comes to these things, neck is the one closest to the neck yeah?
Quote by Moomar
ok now this is gonna make me the new UG noob champion or something lol, but which one is bridge and neck. i am so braindead when it comes to these things, neck is the one closest to the neck yeah?

Correct, neck is up closer to the frets while your bridge pickup is closer to the tremolo or bridge. I'd take a look at bare knuckle pickups. They are hand wound in the UK and sound truely devastating.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
aweomse, i was thinking about getting a Nailbomb but thats when price is kind of a problem lol. what other pickup would one go with?
hmm ive been looking at their website and 190 for a pair doesnt seem too bad, i think id go for the Painkiller or Nailbomb set in Raw Nickel or Burnt Chrome covers. which leads me to my next point! do the covers make any difference to the sound or is it purely asthetic?
and whats all this about F spacing? i read that ibanez's are f-spaced or something. i really dont want to pay a months wages and then get it wrong!

(in time ill need to get another pair of Pickups for my updated Ibanez Prestige RG2570Z in vital silver

which is lovely but again the stock pickups seem to hold it back from truely melting faces

your help so far is much appriciated by the way! and im in the UK so the bareknuckles shouldnt take long to get to me! im off to sleep now, but hopefully some of you guys will have helped out! =D
Quote by Moomar
hmm ive been looking at their website and 190 for a pair doesnt seem too bad, i think id go for the Painkiller or Nailbomb set in Raw Nickel or Burnt Chrome covers. which leads me to my next point! do the covers make any difference to the sound or is it purely asthetic?
and whats all this about F spacing? i read that ibanez's are f-spaced or something. i really dont want to pay a months wages and then get it wrong!

(in time ill need to get another pair of Pickups for my updated Ibanez Prestige RG2570Z in vital silver

which is lovely but again the stock pickups seem to hold it back from truely melting faces

your help so far is much appriciated by the way! and im in the UK so the bareknuckles shouldnt take long to get to me! im off to sleep now, but hopefully some of you guys will have helped out! =D

Covers make no noticable difference so just looks really.

Fspaced means its for a guitar with a tremolo (like urs) G spaced means for a stop tail usually. So you need an F spaced set good luck.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
There's absolutelty no point spending money on pickups with the amp you have, certainly not boutique ones like Bare Knuckles...if a set of pickups is a month's wages it's s shocking waste for you, you might as well burn your cash.

There's absolutely no way you can assess the pickups in any guitar through a Line 6 Spider - if you have a problem with the sound you're getting then the amp is to blame.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 6, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
There's absolutelty no point spending money on pickups with the amp you have, certainly not boutique ones like Bare Knuckles...if a set of pickups is a month's wages it's s shocking waste for you, you might as well burn your cash.

There's absolutely no way you can assess the pickups in any guitar through a Line 6 Spider - if you have a problem with the sound you're getting then the amp is to blame.

I agree with you but the stock ibanez pups are pretty ****ty anyways. Maybe with new pups he will see why spiders are so disliked and might cause him to upgrade. At the present time he's happy with his amp so why not?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
hey guys. i love the sound i get out of my amp, i just want it to sound more...powerful as the INF1 & 2 are pretty weak. i really wanna get a Engl Fireball + cab, but i dont have nearly 2 grand lol
Quote by Moomar
hey guys. i love the sound i get out of my amp, i just want it to sound more...powerful as the INF1 & 2 are pretty weak. i really wanna get a Engl Fireball + cab, but i dont have nearly 2 grand lol

I think the fear is that your line 6 is a modelling amp. Modelling amp's are generally meant to make every guitar with every pickup sound the same or digital. I would be maybe try a guitar with better pickups out on your amp at a music store to see. BUt again if it's what you want to do go for it, it's your money.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Moomar

If you have a problem with your sound then your problem is with the amp, not the pickups - modelling amps like the Spider aren't choosy about what's in your guitar, they're designed to compensate for the tonal shortcomings of crappy guitars, but in doing so they also negate the benefits of better ones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

righty, the idea im getting is that i should get a new amp before P'ups lol. i can save up for an Engl, as i just love the sound, my favourite guitarist Micheal Romeo uses one so it cant be all bad lol. so why does the Spider kill the idea of having decent pickups? just curious
Quote by steven seagull
If you have a problem with your sound then your problem is with the amp, not the pickups - modelling amps like the Spider aren't choosy about what's in your guitar, they're designed to compensate for the tonal shortcomings of crappy guitars, but in doing so they also negate the benefits of better ones.

right! ive got a quote on the Engl fireball head, 799 which is tasty, ill get a cab at a later date. which now leads me on to cabs! theres a lot of positivity about mesa boogie ones round these parts i see! do explain!