I'm just searching round on the 'bay and I've found something interesting that I'm looking for a few of your opinions on. What I've found is a Jazz bass listed as "Fender", here's what I'm wondering about:

Bought two years ago from a seller who advised me it came out from the Fender factory, unbranded. I cannot therefore vouch for it. I bought it because it sounded good and played well.I have played a genuinely branded fender jazz bass thru the same amp (Not a bass amp so it probably makes a difference.) and to my ears there was no real difference. All electrics are as original. Fender cover original, and i have the pickup rest which i have not fitted.

Have you guys ever heard of this? Like a Jazz bass coming out of the factory without being branded so it is essentially a Fender Jazz bass without the name on it? Here's a few pics, my birthday is coming up so I'm wondering whether to drop a bit of money on an early present for myself!

Do you think this could be legit?
Ask the seller for a serial number. If he can't give you one then be very weary.

Edit: Now that I look at it, it doesn't really look very legitimate at all. If that's a real Fender then the quality control at Fender's gone down the ****ter. But still, ask the seller for a serial number.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Dec 6, 2008,
who cares if its a fender or not, try it out and if u like the way it plays/sounds then get it anyways, whether its a legit fender or not

edit: i need to start comprehending what im reading. i wasnt thinking about it being on ebay when i suggested that. id say its a scam
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
I'm pretty sure fender doesn't tint their necks that dark, so I doubt it's real, and it smells of scam.
no, it didn't really come out of a Fender factory
headstock has some minor differences from a real Fender, and the pickguard looks a funny shape (although that may just be the picture)

it could sound the same just because they might be real Fender pickups or something.
Rockin' shit
Pick guard is for sure different. And the border on the headstock where the rosewood stops doesn't look straight.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Thanks for the quick replies guys, don't think I'm going to pursue this, bit of a risk on something like that, and I've got better things to do with my money, e.g. Xmas shopping lol

anyway cheers guys!
I noticed that on ebay last night, total bull****, i wouldn't touch it with a ten foot barge pole.