Page 1 of 2
Ok so I plan to go inter-railing this summer. For those of you who don;t know what that is it's basically getting a train around Europe for a month.
Ill have 22 days and on 10 of those days I can travel.
The following countries are allowed:
Austria
Belgium
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Czech Republic
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Great Britain
Greece
Hungary
Ireland (my home)
Luxembourg
Macedonia (FYROM)
Montenegro
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey

http://www.interrailnet.com/downloads/interrail/map_travel_times.pdf

Now the plans are still in the earliest stage (ie they consist solely of: Lets go inter-rail YAY!!!). We'll be going in mid May/Early June probably. We plan to travel East/north/south and get a plane back to Ireland from wherever we end up.

Has anyone here been inter-railing? How did you find it? Where did you go?

The following cities are must gos
Amsterdam
Paris
London (we'll start of there most likely)

And if possible we'd like to find a way to see
Venice
Rome
Somewhere cool in Norway/Finland (sorry Kensai, apparently they have better food or something)
Belgium
Somewhere cool in Eastern Europe (I'm bulling that Moscow ain't included)

So Pit, my summer is in your hands, help me out. Where should I go?
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I'm doing the same thing. Let's hook up in Paris

edit: I wouldn't go to sweden either if I didn't live here already. Norway is far superior. Too bad they're dumb as bricks.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I live in belgium, if you want, I could give some cool sites you must most definately go see

I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Are you planning on living in hostels btw? The biggest problem is finding empty vaccancies during the summer time.
Quote by Kensai
Are you planning on living in hostels btw? The biggest problem is finding empty vaccancies during the summer time.

And not getting murdered n' stuff.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by Kensai
I'm doing the same thing. Let's hook up in Paris

edit: I wouldn't go to sweden either if I didn't live here already. Norway is far superior. Too bad they're dumb as bricks.

Are going to go to Ireland?
Damn Europe with all its difficult sticky out bits like Spain, Scandinavia and Italy.
My natural instinct would be to go from Paris and Amsterdam down through Germany to Rome across on a ferry to Athens and then to Istanbul and see where I go from there but I'd like to see Scandinavia too.

, when are you going?

Quote by Kensai

Ya Hostels are the plan. We're trying to get a big group in order to make them cheaper but I haven't even looked at any yet really.

EDIT: I reckon language might be an issue, I only speak English, French and some Italian curse words about how people from Naples suck balls
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Dec 6, 2008,
Quote by Lord Waltaa
I live in belgium, if you want, I could give some cool sites you must most definately go see

That's the point of the thread man
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Are going to go to Ireland?
Damn Europe with all its difficult sticky out bits like Spain, Scandinavia and Italy.
My natural instinct would be to go from Paris and Amsterdam down through Germany to Rome across on a ferry to Athens and then to Istanbul and see where I go from there but I'd like to see Scandinavia too.

, when are you going?

That's similar to my plan. I'm going norway (perhaps) -> holland -> france then either great britain or switzerland -> italy

I'd really love to go to amsterdam, paris, venice, firenze, anywhere in switzerland and possibly do eastern europe on another trip.

I'm going in the summertime too. Not sure excactly when, though.

Quote by TooFast
And not getting murdered n' stuff.

Pff, mere details

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Ya Hostels are the plan. We're trying to get a big group in order to make them cheaper but I haven't even looked at any yet really.

EDIT: I reckon language might be an issue, I only speak English, French and some Italian curse words about how people from Naples suck balls

I suspect it will be more difficult for a larger group to find vaccancy on a hotel at the same time, but I've never been to any hostels. I speak some german and french and of course the scandinavian languages. Not that they'll help
hey, I'm planning on just buying a tent, and go to southern of france just by autostop
that's the coolest thing to do, ever...

Edit:
you know, there are quite some decent festivals during summer break in Belgium, like graspop metal meeting and rock werchter...
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by Kensai
That's similar to my plan. I'm going norway (perhaps) -> holland -> france then either great britain or switzerland -> italy

I'd really love to go to amsterdam, paris, venice, firenze, anywhere in switzerland and possibly do eastern europe on another trip.

I'm going in the summertime too. Not sure excactly when, though.

Ya, it's a bit more difficult starting from Ireland because that's a whole travel day gone just getting to London. I'm thinking of buying a tenner plane ticket to london and starting from there instead.
What kind of ticket are you gonna get?

I suspect it will be more difficult for a larger group to find vaccancy on a hotel at the same time, but I've never been to any hostels. I speak some german and french and of course the scandinavian languages. Not that they'll help

Ya in a hotel it's be impossible but as far as I know hostels sell rooms rather than per person. so if you have seven people and get a room for seven it works out cheaper. I don't really care though provided I don't have to pay much more than 20 euro for a night
In cities like Paris it's harder because they have to be relatively central

I reckon some clever planning is best so that you can sleep on the train.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Lord Waltaa
hey, I'm planning on just buying a tent, and go to southern of france just by autostop
that's the coolest thing to do, ever...

Edit:
you know, there are quite some decent festivals during summer break in Belgium, like graspop metal meeting and rock werchter...

Ya but I want to see as many countries as possible

I've heard about Belgium's festivals
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Ya, it's a bit more difficult starting from Ireland because that's a whole travel day gone just getting to London. I'm thinking of buying a tenner plane ticket to london and starting from there instead.
What kind of ticket are you gonna get?

It will take me like 12 hours just to get to germany. I think about buying a planeticket too but I don't know if I can afford it yet. But 12 hours on a train... =(

I have this map of avaliable routes and travel times that might help:

http://www.sj.se/content/1/c6/07/47/11/Karta_InterRail2008.pdf

I'm going to get the 1-month deal, then maybe buy another month or do some "non-interrail" trainriding.

Ya in a hotel it's be impossible but as far as I know hostels sell rooms rather than per person. so if you have seven people and get a room for seven it works out cheaper. I don't really care though provided I don't have to pay much more than a tenner for a night
In cities like Paris it's harder because they have to be relatively central

I think it varies from hostel to hostel, but if they did that would be very handy.
Quote by Kensai
It will take me like 12 hours just to get to germany. I think about buying a planeticket too but I don't know if I can afford it yet. But 12 hours on a train... =(

I have this map of avaliable routes and travel times that might help:

http://www.sj.se/content/1/c6/07/47/11/Karta_InterRail2008.pdf

I'm going to get the 1-month deal, then maybe buy another month or do some "non-interrail" trainriding.

Ahh that is really handy.
I can probably get a 10 euro plane ticket to London if I book soon. Are you gona do the return journey by train?

EDIT: Damn rome for being on the wrong side of Italy

I think it varies from hostel to hostel, but if they did that would be very handy.
No I was wrong. It seems like they do it individually but the rooms get cheaper the more beds there are in them, but you don't have to buy them all with your own group. I don't really mind staying in a dorm with 8 people if I can get it for 25 euro. There's a cool hostel in Amsterdam like that that's right at the red light district
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I reckon some clever planning is best so that you can sleep on the train.

Be hesitant there, sleeper trains cost you 2 travel days.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
I went inter-railing this year, springtime like April - June. I got the month-long continuous ticket, £300 for a month and I could travel on any train any day.

Some things I would point out to you:

1. some trains have to be reserved. It's only usually like 2 or 3 EUR for this, but some trains require a seat reservation, even in addition to your inter-rail ticket. Just ask at the ticket office of any station. If you're staying in a city for a couple days, I would book the reservation as soon as possible, as the trains get full and you might not be able to get a train otherwise.

2. if you're definite of your route, and know exactly where and when you'll be, I would recommend booking hostels in advance. I used www.hostelworld.com - so easy and cheap. Print off each reservation as proof and take with you. Most hostels also are able to accommodate people just turning up (hey before the internets it's what happened), but as you're going in peak time (ie summer) palces are limited and you may have to fork out loads. If you're doing the whole 'I dunno where and when I'm moving on, I'll just see where I end up' then obv you can't book...

3. Take a padlock - if you're staying in hostels, most have lockers you can leave your pack during the day, but often you need to provide your own padlock. ALso, take your own towel.

4. go to your nearest STA travel (if you're a student?) and get a Student Youth International Card - £9 and it counts as student ID abroad, so you get discounts on stuff.

erm I have more but I forget.

I went to:

Germany, France, Belgium, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Czech Rep... yep that's it!
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
Also - tell me which cities you're going to and I can recommend you some hostels - I found some great ones
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Ahh that is really handy.
I can probably get a 10 euro plane ticket to London if I book soon. Are you gona do the return journey by train?

EDIT: Damn rome for being on the wrong side of Italy

By train or plane, not sure what the final town will be. Probably rome. Why is rome on the wrong side of the country? You can go like Switzerland -> Venice -> Firenze->Rome-> Along the coast of italy then coast of France

No I was wrong. It seems like they do it individually but the rooms get cheaper the more beds there are in them, but you don't have to buy them all with your own group. I don't really mind staying in a dorm with 8 people if I can get it for 25 euro. There's a cool hostel in Amsterdam like that that's right at the red light district

Oh, that sucks a bit

But good on the red light district

Not that I'd be travelling with a large company (if any at all).

Quote by jallas
Also - tell me which cities you're going to and I can recommend you some hostels - I found some great ones

Better yet, come with me and show
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Austria
Belgium
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Czech Republic
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Great Britain
Greece
Hungary
Ireland (my home)
Luxembourg
Macedonia (FYROM)
Montenegro
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey

My personal choices, I'll have to hop the pond and do this sometime.
Quote by Kensai
By train or plane, not sure what the final town will be. Probably rome. Why is rome on the wrong side of the country? You can go like Switzerland -> Venice -> Firenze->Rome-> Along the coast of italy then coast of France

Better yet, come with me and show

Yeah, I travelled from Switzerland (Zurich) to Venice - lovely 12 hour train journey -_- we broke down in the middle of nowhere and I ended up trekking accross the country in the blazing heat with a hot Australian guy I'd just met and neither of us spoke any Italian. Fun times...

I'll sure come with you! I'd so love to go inter-railing again! Seriously if you're gonna do it and I'm free (and have money) I'm there!
Quote by Kensai
I think you should start off from Portugal, then go to Spain, then France then london, then come back to france, then netherlands, then belgium, then germany, then whatever you want.

I have a big house 30 min car away from paris that is in a little friendly village if you want to stay there. It'll be most likely be empty and the town has a train station that goes directly to Paris there's also a big forest exactly down the street that my house is in, comes in real handy when you've got women with you ( or drugs for that matter ).
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Last edited by illuminatiano at Dec 6, 2008,
My geography teacher did this when he was a student. I remember him telling me most of the time he didnt stay in hostels - every night they'd try and find a 12ish hour night train and go across europe and just sleep on the train. Not sure how possible that would be nowadays.

How much would a trip like this cost with hostels, food, alcohol, and the ticket, etc be?
Quote by jallas

I'm not sure yet, but definitely Paris, London and Amsterdam

Quote by Kensai

It's on the wrong side if you're trying to go to greece :P

Oh, that sucks a bit

But good on the red light district
what sucks?

Not that I'd be travelling with a large company (if any at all).
I'm hoping for a group of maybe 4/5

Quote by illuminatiano
I think you should start off from Portugal, then go to Spain, then France then london, then come back to france, then netherlands, then belgium, then germany, then whatever you want.

Not a bad idea if I could find a cheap plane ticket to somewhere on the Iberian peninsula.

EDIT : I have a big house 30 min car away from paris that is in a little friendly village if you want to stay there. It'll be most likely be empty and the town has a train station that goes directly to Paris there's also a big forest exactly down the street that my house is in, comes in real handy when you've got women with you ( or drugs for that matter ).
Interesting, I may just take you up on that
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by jallas
Yeah, I travelled from Switzerland (Zurich) to Venice - lovely 12 hour train journey -_- we broke down in the middle of nowhere and I ended up trekking accross the country in the blazing heat with a hot Australian guy I'd just met and neither of us spoke any Italian. Fun times...

Well what are the odds of that happening again?

Quote by jallas
I'll sure come with you! I'd so love to go inter-railing again! Seriously if you're gonna do it and I'm free (and have money) I'm there!

Sounds like a plan!
Quote by StonaLemons

How much would a trip like this cost with hostels, food, alcohol, and the ticket, etc be?

I'm hoping to do it for under 700 euro including food etc, but that's probably unrealistic really.
Alcohol especially is going to push up the price I'd say.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
It's on the wrong side if you're trying to go to greece :P

Pfft, screw greece. They have funny names and try to drug you all the time!

what sucks?

The hostel thing, not being able to pay for one room then fill it with people yourself.

I'm hoping for a group of maybe 4/5

Seems like a reasonable number. I've got maybe 1 guy coming with me, but I don't know. I'd almost rather go alone, though. I want to take alot of pictures and we don't have the same style excactly.

Quote by illuminatiano
I have a big house 30 min car away from paris that is in a little friendly village if you want to stay there. It'll be most likely be empty and the town has a train station that goes directly to Paris there's also a big forest exactly down the street that my house is in, comes in real handy when you've got women with you ( or drugs for that matter ).

I wish I had made the thread first
Quote by Kensai
Pfft, screw greece. They have funny names and try to drug you all the time!

, I see no problem here

The hostel thing, not being able to pay for one room then fill it with people yourself.
Nah, I rather it this way as no-one else can do it either.

Seems like a reasonable number. I've got maybe 1 guy coming with me, but I don't know. I'd almost rather go alone, though. I want to take alot of pictures and we don't have the same style excactly.

I have one girl for definite, maybe two, and possibly another guy. I'll have to ask around after that.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Kensai

I wish I had made the thread first

I'll let anyone I can trust to that house, it's just an empty house ( there is barely any furniture ie theres no valuables in the house, not sure if there's a bed left in there ). And you getting a key isn't a problem either, my neighbor over there has a spare key. But the house is very big ( 5 rooms, 5 bathrooms, a pool which is terribly cold, an outhouse that is great for parties, and also a quite large garden ).

As long as you don't damage the house and just sleep in there I don't have a problem ! You could just rent a mattress and you'll be fine in there !
Quote by illuminatiano

I'll let anyone I can trust to that house, it's just an empty house ( there is barely any furniture ie theres no valuables in the house, not sure if there's a bed left in there ). And you getting a key isn't a problem either, my neighbor over there has a spare key. But the house is very big ( 5 rooms, 5 bathrooms, a pool which is terribly cold, an outhouse that is great for parties, and also a quite large garden ).

As long as you don't damage the house and just sleep in there I don't have a problem ! You could just rent a mattress and you'll be fine in there !

illuminatiano, you are literally the coolest, most fantastic guy ever.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
illuminatiano, you are literally the coolest, most fantastic guy ever.

I'm terribly sorry, but I'll have to sig that !

The only issue here though, is that I don't know how I can make my neighbor give you that key. I'll try contacting her for sure.
Last edited by illuminatiano at Dec 6, 2008,
Quote by illuminatiano
I'm terribly sorry, but I'll have to sig that !

The only issue here though, is that I don't know how I can make my neighbor give you that key. I'll try contacting her for sure.

If I end up inter-railing I could send you a recent pic of me that she could use to identify me with. My French is also relatively good if that's relevant .
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
If I end up inter-railing I could send you a recent pic of me that she could use to identify me with. My French is also relatively good if that's relevant .

It's not relevent, my neighbor is actually from New York and speaks English better than French. She's even too nice to be true, I'm sure she'd be glad to point to you in the right direction for whatever questions you have !
Quote by Ur all $h1t
, I see no problem here.

Hm... true. I'm still concerned about being raped by a guy, though.

Nah, I rather it this way as no-one else can do it either.

Oh ok.

I have one girl for definite, maybe two, and possibly another guy. I'll have to ask around after that

Are you guys going to travel around for the experience, or partying? Or both?

Quote by illuminatiano

Dude, if you're actually serious you might just be the greatest guy on earth
hope this is useful.
i went interailing with one of my best mate's (go with people who don't annoy you, trust me. we got on ok but i can imagine it driving you nuts if you didnt!!) for 3 weeks last summer. ill list where we went and a few words:
1.Brussels: awesome place. expensive but defo worth the money. nice nice beers and people.
2. Amsterdam: this place was alot more touristy than brussels, but again a once in a lifetime thing. you have to go. see the red light district blah blah. very interesting. would also recommend heading out to the western side of town - its alot quieter but that means cheaper and people are less prepared to treat you like a tourist (they actually provide service, not just want to take your money and have you fcuk off).
3. Berlin: again, a very european city indeed...

oh god this is going to take ages. pm me and ill send a longer version 2mw, but OVERALL

if you have alot of money (£800 for 3 weeks for me, thats accomodation, food, etc. everything except tickets) then go for it. if money is tight you may regret it...
As a side note, I want to add there may be no running water or gas in the house.
I'm not 100% sure about this.

Anyway, I'll get back to you on this, I've got things to run to !
Quote by illuminatiano
It's not relevent, my neighbor is actually from New York and speaks English better than French. She's even too nice to be true, I'm sure she'd be glad to point to you in the right direction for whatever questions you have !

I second Kensai's motion about you being the greatest guy on Earth.

Quote by Kensai
Hm... true. I'm still concerned about being raped by a guy, though.

Problem solved

Are you guys going to travel around for the experience, or partying? Or both?
Both. Mainly experience though. I won't have another chance to travel around europe like this.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by illuminatiano
As a side note, I want to add there may be no running water or gas in the house.
I'm not 100% sure about this.

Anyway, I'll get back to you on this, I've got things to run to !

Pfft, screw gas. It can kill people

What is the name of the village btw?

Quote by Ur all $h1t
I second Kensai's motion about you being the greatest guy on Earth.

Even norman borlaug would be impressed.

That scares me for two reasons:

1) Why is it so big?

2) The jagged bits keeping it from going out...?

Both. Mainly experience though. I won't have another chance to travel around europe like this.

I'd be going for photo opportunities and the experience. I can go partying any time here, but I don't see the french countryside very often.
Quote by Kensai

Even norman borlaug would be impressed.

The guy from the Pen and Teller BS episode about GM food?
What an obscure reference

1) Why is it so big?

1) Because it's close to the camera.
2) They stick in the guys penis if he tried to put it up your ass.

I'd be going for photo opportunities and the experience. I can go partying any time here, but I don't see the french countryside very often.

Ya, places like Rome and Paris and Venice are really for the experience but places like Amsterdam are for Partying, and smuggling weed out.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Kensai

1) Why is it so big?

Alternatively, you could wear a chastity belt, except backwards or something. The obvious disadvantage here though is that it makes anal masturbation difficult to achieve.

What do you think?
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Dec 6, 2008,
Page 1 of 2