Well sometime next month I'm gonna be on the lookout for a tube amp. I have a Fender American Deluxe Tele, an Epi LP and a home-made strat. I play lots of RHCP, Pearl Jam, Classic Rock, Blues Rock, Grunge, Alternative stuff, poppy stuff. In my band the originals we play are sort of funk-rock with grunge and alternative influences. I don't want or need a metal tone. I am currently running Boss GT-8 with a Biyang Boutique OD-7 Overdrive and a modded Boss DS-1 into a 120w Crate GT212. I want a really nice huge clean sound, a good Overdrive would be nice but it's not essential as I can rig up some pretty sexy sounding Overdrives and distortions with my pedals. I'm thinking half-stack as I have a Dunlop Heil Talkbox and they are pretty hard to rig up with combos. Don't really want/need anything over 100w and also this will mean I can't use the talkbox with it but If it means better tone then sure.
So far I've looked at Fender Super Sonics, and an old marshall JTM60H as options but I've yet to try anything out these are just cheap used options I've found. So recommend away

Oh and an FX loop is a must
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
How much? Given that you're from NZ, look on TradeMe for a JCM 900 head. They got lots of clean headroom and are pretty welll voiced for grungy stuff.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Yeah trademe was where I saw the JTM and the super sonic I'll have a look at JCM's cheers
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12