Page 1 of 2
okay I'm getting very confused I don't really know what to do...

I'm looking for a good amp to contrast with my laney (much like JCM 800) and I was gonna get A DRRI but now I dunno I want it to contrast really well when I run them both at the same time but also want it to have good cleans.

I want it to be American voiced or maybe mesa like. but it's gotta have great cleans and a pretty nice OD

I have about 9 or 1100 ish at the VERY most. ( I don't plan on buying tell sometime after the new year, maybe about March.

I'm looking at:

Ceriatone OTS
DRRI
SF Bassman
Mesa F50
AC30

I would go used as much as I can
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Dec 6, 2008,
D00d, ampeg reverberocket R50H.

http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/inventorydetails.asp?id=726251

Bai eet nao.
i've never played one, how they sound?

clipz? nao!
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by MatrixClaw
Do want.

I saw one on Phoenix CL, i think.

It could have been Orange County, though.

Ask kyle, AKA TNfootballfan. He has a combo version.

I've played the combo version as well, but not extensively. Toanz for days.
I say F-30 man. I got the 50 and I love mine. Though I'm pretty sure that the 30 runs EL84s....idk, ask Kevin. He had one.

Oh yea, and Matrix....no...just no...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
okay what do you guys think of maybe the SF bassman or AC30?

EDIT: kevin HAD one and yeah F50 I meant, The 30 has 84s yours has 6L6's right?

EDIT2: the reason I'm thinking no on the F series is that I already have an amp that does the metal thing pretty well although the mesa thing is really is an amp all its own
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
okay what do you guys think of maybe the SF bassman or AC30?

The bassman would have at most, a subtle crunch to it. One channel clean amp

I don't know if an AC30 is what you are asking for here.

I would go for the Ampeg, honestly.

Ampeg
the reason I'm thinking the bassman is it's got good cleans and a great OD when I can get it loud enough and I can always throw a TS9 or SD1 on it

the AC30 I've always liked it's got those jangly cleans and a great break up but you're probably right It probably won't go all that well with the Laney
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by LaidBack
I say F-30 man. I got the 50 and I love mine. Though I'm pretty sure that the 30 runs EL84s....idk, ask Kevin. He had one.

Oh yea, and Matrix....no...just no...

LOL

I used to have an F-30.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The AC30 is killer man, but it's not American-voiced like you said.

I've got the AC30HH, and it's beautiful. The cleans are so harmonically right and beautiful, and contrary to popular belief it can get pretty high gain.

It's an amazing amp, and pretty versatile. The thing abotu it is that all of the tonal changes are in your hands. I can go from clean to distorted just by picking harder, and changing my attack.

It's definitely not a flattering amp (IMO), you have to be pretty clean. I suggest checking it out though.
well what did you think Matrix? think it would be good for me?

EDIT ^ yeah I should have put I perfer american voiced but I knew it had good cleans and a nice OD, but the more I think about it the more I think it won't do well with my lanet
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Btw, yea the 50 has 6L6's
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Yeah, you're right it won't be the best with the laney, adn especially with the budget, you wouldn't be able to get the Celestion blues in there, and the Wharfdale's aren't too hot in my opinion.
I've played AC-30s a couple times they're still great amps for the price even with those speakers.

any other ideas maybe the ceriatone?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
bump
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
well here's an easier one:
maybe a jcm 900?
i mean it has better cleans (more modern) than the 800, and more overdrive as well
to be honest its a marshall rip off of a mesa, so i guess you could go with the f-30 or f-50 and be fine too
just throwing it out there
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
nah, it's still to brit voiced it's not really what I"m looking for.

But what about going rack gear? maybe an ENGL preamp or something like that.

How about something that has a really good high gain and clean? I dunno reccomendations?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
well what did you think Matrix? think it would be good for me?

I think it would be cool and would suit you well, but if you're really wanting to spend your full budget, at least from Mesa, the Rect-O-Verb and Trem-O-Verb are worth a look as well.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The DR, OTS, Vox AC30, Bassman all have good cleans but all sound different. The DR and AC30 really don't have a lot of headroom either (I assume you mean DRRI as in the Deluxe Reverb reissue?)
Maybe consider a 6l6 loaded Peavey XXX ?
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I didn't really like the recto I tried it was really loose sounding and to flabby for me

I'll look into the tremoverb hows the express series?

and how are the cleans on the tremoverb

to the two guys above me. yeah I've decided no on the AC30 I didn't really like the XXX that much that I tried but I didn't really try it long

I don't need a HUGE amount of headroom so it's okay if it's under 50w.

also from what I hear the OTS sounds really good and I've always liked the bassman
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
If you don't get the reverberocket, I'm going to Minnesota to slap some sense into you

really?

I dunno goolz maybe I should get something that does High gain well too (not that the AOR doesen't but it's much more like a hair metal amp than a high gain monster you know?)
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks

really?

I dunno goolz maybe I should get something that does High gain well too (not that the AOR doesen't but it's much more like a hair metal amp than a high gain monster you know?)

How much gain do you need?

VH-140c >?
here's my idea for my rig in the future...

I was thinking.

My Laney for my classic rock blues rythm and leads.

A Bassman or the OTS or wahtever for cleans and blues

then a Engl rack unit or somethething like that for my high gain and leads...

then all my effects were gonna be midi (a G-force or something like that )other than a couple of nice ODs and stuff
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks

I was thinking.

then a Engl or somethething like that for my high gain and leads...

then all my effects were gonna be midi other than a couple of nice ODs and stuff

Your laney is a combo, right?

That sounds like a good setup. Another amp to look into is an Ampeg V4. Lots of power and a nice crunch on the master volume models. IIRC.

I've not played an engl, so I have no input on that.
Quote by imgooley
Your laney is a combo, right?

That sounds like a good setup. Another amp to look into is an Ampeg V4. Lots of power and a nice crunch on the master volume models. IIRC.

I've not played an engl, so I have no input on that.

yeah my laneys a combo, then I was gonna put the engl in the rack along with my effects and a tuner possibly a Rockman Sustainer 200 and a Stereo Echo

then have a clean combo also, unless I can find a head and hook it to a avatar 2X12
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
IMO, you'd be better off running a few heads.
thats another thing I've considerd is making my laney a head buying a Bassman head and then getting an avatar 2x12.

the reason I was thinking get something that has good cleans and high gain is 2 birds with one stone really

btw this is for you goolz you might wanna get this instead of your socal...
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks

I was thinking.

then a Engl rack unit or somethething like that for my high gain and leads...

then all my effects were gonna be midi (a G-force or something like that )other than a couple of nice ODs and stuff

Bugera 333XL will accomplish ALL of this with one amp.
no offense man but my laney is 3x the amp the bugera is other than on the clean channel IMO especially at Classic rock

I bassman is way better on the cleans and "crunch" tones I'm sure

and an Engl probably has more gain
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
no offense man but my laney is 3x the amp the bugera is other than on the clean channel IMO

I bassman is way better on the cleans and "crunch" tones I'm sure

and an Engl probably has more gain

You'd seriuosly be surprized.

I'm 41, been playing 25 years...Played through LOTS of nice amps..too many list...I bought this thing on a whim and it has replaced a similar setup for live situations. The clean channel is one of the best I've ever played thru. The crunch channel tops every Marshall ever made. The lead channel is a cross between a markiV and a Soldano.

I used to haul four different amps around and a huge rack. The 333XL has replaced themall VERY well.

Just food for thought bro.
I'll think about it then I really will man.

btw I think you'd be suprised at the laney it's a marshall better than marshall in most respects nowdays. I would take it over a JCM800 and over
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I would definitely look into a Bassman type amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
yeah I think I'll pick up a bassman head for like 400 bucks and get it over with

btw nice Blue collar man cover I should post mine.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
yeah I think I'll pick up a bassman head for like 400 bucks and get it over with

btw nice Blue collar man cover I should post mine.

That bassman WILL become invaluable in a studio fro sure.

And thanks...and yes you should!
yeah Let's hope so haha. I'll post it and send it to you hows that sound?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Page 1 of 2