I bought a 4 string pack of elxiers after i tried out a 5 string i really liked, the next day i went in the same store and bought the bass i tried out (SCHECTER STILETTO ELITE-5!!!) and i haven't changed the strings since i bought it. After months of having dead strings due to my messed up sweat (literally acid sweat, strings die out in a week of playing) i finally want to change my strings but the problem is i have a 4 string pack of a different brand of strings that are currently on the bass, meaning i can't change my B string. I barley use it due to me just starting to play a 5 string but will it really matter if 4 of the strings are of a different brand?
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
it wont matter if the strings are a different brand although it can be an annoyance if the two sets sound different and/or are different gauges.

If you keep your old B string and change the other four your Low B is gonna sound **** compared to the other strings.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
changing some of the strings is better then not changing any
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
It should be alright, just make sure they are similar gauges...you wouldn't want a light gauge B and the rest Heavy. Having them different will be fine, though...I have a bass with a 4-string set of D'Addarrio half-rounds, and a steel roundwound B string. Evens out the tone, IMO...seems like a half-round B string would be a little dead sounding.
Nope, no sig here.
If you go into the same store you bought the 4 string pack, they probably sell individual strings. It will probably be a couple of dollars for the low B.

Or just take the strings you bought and ask to trade for a 5 string set, and you pay the difference. Even after a couple of months, I don't see why they wouldn't do it since the strings are unused, and since you are obviously a "profitable" customer they want to keep happy (you bought a NEW bass and strings from them recently).
Quote by AmpleSteak
I bought a 4 string pack of elxiers after i tried out a 5 string i really liked, the next day i went in the same store and bought the bass i tried out (SCHECTER STILETTO ELITE-5!!!) and i haven't changed the strings since i bought it. After months of having dead strings due to my messed up sweat (literally acid sweat, strings die out in a week of playing) i finally want to change my strings but the problem is i have a 4 string pack of a different brand of strings that are currently on the bass, meaning i can't change my B string. I barley use it due to me just starting to play a 5 string but will it really matter if 4 of the strings are of a different brand?
I always put an odd string when restringing my Basses as I prefer a 0.55 G string.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by AmpleSteak
will it really matter if 4 of the strings are of a different brand?

i play a 4 stringer, i broke the e string, and i bought a set of heavier gauge, and the e string now has a completely different tone, and plays differently, see if you can return them, or put'em on another bass
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Quote by esposito123
you would be surprised how many players mix and match strings.

really?? i never knew that, i never would.

never buy a squier!
Quote by esposito123
you would be surprised how many players mix and match strings.

i do this quite alot. if i have the money you will usually find that my G string is a heavier guage elixer and the rest are roto 66
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
i do this quite alot. if i have the money you will usually find that my G string is a heavier guage elixer and the rest are roto 66

why do you change guages, do you like the tone more?

never buy a squier!
Quote by tbirds1013
why do you change guages, do you like the tone more?

The usual guage of the G is 0.45 and rather weak whereas the 0.55 gives more punch.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I usually buy two packs of different gauges.
super light or whatever for my BEA and something heavier for my DG.
because I tune up to EADGC it makes my C less twangy.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
it doesnt matter man, elixer sells their low b strings seperate
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70