Hey all, I'm having trouble controlling feedback. I have a Bugera 6262 head going through a 4x12 Vader cab and I use a ISP Decimater noise gate. I mainly play death metal so I have the gain fairly high and I usually play pretty loud. I turn the decimater up until the amp hum is gone but I still get REALLY loud squeals of feedback... it doesn't do this when the volume is down... I don't have way too much gain either (I keep my gain at around 6 or 7 usually)... So how can I stop the super loud feedback squeals?
how far from your amp are you? When my volume is loud and Im like 4 feet away I get a high pitch scream. but once I move away its all good.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
I'm playing in my garage. I have a short instrument cable so I'm probably like 8 feet away. Do you think just moving further away from the amp will help? I play with the garage door closed so I can only go so far away.
Quote by kirkhammett09
I'm playing in my garage. I have a short instrument cable so I'm probably like 8 feet away. Do you think just moving further away from the amp will help? I play with the garage door closed so I can only go so far away.

Thats pretty far actually, so thats not really the problem then. What other effects are you using.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Mute your strings when you're not playing.

That being said, c'mon, it's freaking death metal. Who gives a crap?
Quote by BrockTandem
I take it you're not using single coils and/or a hollowbody guitar?

nope... i have a schecter c-1 blackjack (it has passive seymour duncan humbuckers in it)
Quote by KenjiBeast
Mute your strings when you're not playing.

That being said, c'mon, it's freaking death metal. Who gives a crap?

i do mute my strings but it still squeals.... and just because i play metal doesn't mean loud high pitch annoying squeals are acceptable lol
The kind of feedback you are getting can come from a couple of things and is caused by a mechanical part of the guitar setting up a resonating sympathetic frequency feedback loop with the amp at high volume or especially when using over-driven/distorted sounds.
In the early days we used to,"Wax Dip" our PUPs for use in Heavy/loud bands to help prevent PUP feedback squeal but these days most guitar PUPs come pre-damped/dipped.you may have PUPs that are not that well damped.
Another major cause are loose fittings around the PUPs like the height setting screws or the securing screws if the PUPS have surrounds.
Get the Squeal and then use your fingers around the PUP to see if you can damp something to see if it's vibrating and if you can stop noise.This may point you to something that you can fix.

HTH
Quote by Sheppola

In the early days we used to,"Wax Dip" our PUPs for use in Heavy/loud bands to help prevent PUP feedback squeal but these days most guitar PUPs come pre-damped/dipped.you may have PUPs that are not that well damped.
Another major cause are loose fittings around the PUPs like the height setting screws or the securing screws if the PUPS have surrounds.
HTH

This is great advice. Sounds like a bare/loose PUP. Also face away from your amp.