I have a Marshall MG50 and i played at a barn party last night in very cold weather prolly just below freezing. My amp cut out (got crackly w/ low volume) once but I didn't think much of it because the power situation was sketchy at best. Played for a short while and than put it inside. It was never played inside so i dont think condensation was an issue. I played for like 5 minutes today and my amp keeps cutting volume and making staticy crackle noises like before, no one else playing had any problem with their stuff tho. Any suggestions? And for future reference is playing in a barn in the winter a bad idea?

plz plz, cant afford a new amp so this would really blow a$$ for my band if I'm ampless.

edit: also it wasn't even cranked that loud at all, if that helps (don't wan't any troopers showin up )
Last edited by axofthebeholder at Dec 6, 2008,
you don't really have to worry about warming up SS amps. I don't think the temperature would have been a huge issue. The MG series is garbage anyway and is prone to ****ting the bed without notice.

To answer your second question, yes it is usually foolish to play in the cold. Low temperatures make it extremely difficult to move your fingers at any decent rate, and 'warming up' takes a more literal meaning. It can become difficult, if not impossible, to warm up to your usual standards.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
If it was a tube amp, I'd tell you to check that all the tubes are in tight. Sounds to me like the input jack might be a little loose, or possibly has a little corrosion or dust on it. Try plugging your cord into it and turning it several times. Also do the same for the knobs. I have a similar problem from time to time with my Boss effects pedals. I use a little DeoxIt on the interconnect cord plugs to clear it right up. I play in a temperature and humidity controlled environment.
Well it seems to work for the fist 4 mins but the volume is a little weak but not too noticeable. Then it starts to fluctuate volume a little bit for the next min, it got louder for a while actually. After another min it just instantly drops to real low volume randomly and it becomes unplayable. Any other ideas, I've tried different cords and messing with my input. Any ideas?
check your guitar cable, and your guitar output jack.

plug different guitars and cables into the amp.

if it's the amp, it may have taken a power surge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
the mg's seem to just break like that, first that happened on my overdrive channel, then the clean channel went too lol, i donno if theres anything you can do about it, but if there is its not worth the work/money for an mg lol
humm just a question whats with all the hate on the MG50 its served me well for a while plenty loud for now and i think its got a nice distortion for what it is. Im really -ked if i cant get this thing fixed. Just wondering how much ya think it'll cost me to have guitar center fix it?
omg, who cares about the mg hate.

you messed wt your input,

you mean the guitar's jack? did you open it, see if the wires are connected?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

messed with it as in trying to make sure there was no dirt or dust just by playing with my cord from the outside, i don't really dare to tinker with it myself.

Seems like it isn't my input tho because it does work fine for a couple of mins, it just a little weaker.
With a SS, even though the cold might not affect it as much as a tube amp, I'd warn you about warming it back up too fast. Condensation on the circuits could fry out some things and cause problems.

In general, I'd say to NOT keep your amp or guitar in places where you yourself wouldn't stay without a coat.

Good rule of thumb.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by axofthebeholder
messed with it as in trying to make sure there was no dirt or dust just by playing with my cord from the outside, i don't really dare to tinker with it myself.

Seems like it isn't my input tho because it does work fine for a couple of mins, it just a little weaker.

see if both are connected.

cause if it's your amp, it's done for. if it's a guitar wire, then it's a 5 min fix.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Meh already tried it with my old strat knockoff it was just as bad. Damn, well i guess i learned a valuable lesson out of this, my other guitarist is lucky it didn't hurt his stack, that'd be a bitch.