I am stumped. I have started recording lately and I just can't get the tone I want into my microphone unless I absolutely crank my amp. I can't do this because of neighbors/roommates. If I leave the volume too low, it sounds muddy and awful. Basically I'm wondering if perhaps a Tubescreamer or something a little cheaper could get me that sweet cranked-tube tone, without me having to crank the amp. I don't play metal and therefore never use my DOD Grunge pedal.

Any ideas?
Last edited by drewfromutah at Dec 6, 2008,
What kind of mic are you using? That could be part of the problem as well as how close to the mic you are. Worst case scenario you could pic up a line 6 toneport for 50-100 depending on what version you get but amp models on the computer won't be YOUR tone. Trying backing up/getting closer or maybe a higher end mic.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Get a power attenuator? Build/buy an isolation cabinet?
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by JWD32792
What kind of mic are you using? That could be part of the problem as well as how close to the mic you are. Worst case scenario you could pic up a line 6 toneport for 50-100 depending on what version you get but amp models on the computer won't be YOUR tone. Trying backing up/getting closer or maybe a higher end mic.

I'm using a 57. I also have the one that came with my Fast Track interface which I haven't tried yet. I don't think it's any better.

I've been monitoring the mic and can't seem to find a sweet spot at low volume. Maybe I just need to experiment some more but it seems like I just need to turn my volume up.
You can build an iso cabinet for cheap.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
So I guess my question is, would a tubescreamer, blues driver, something of that sort, get my desired effect? Basically a GOOD sounding overdrive (I can get overdrive on my amp, just not at bedroom levels) without getting the cops called on me? I've never really used an overdrive pedal. I have my grunge pedal, but it is just for metal.
An OD pedal tends to boost the volume, thus pushing the tubes farther. You'd be better off either:

A) buying an attenuator
B) Building/buying an isolation cabinet.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i use a shure 57 through an Art tube mp preamp connected to my computer and it works great, you may want to buy a preamp.
i think there is a preamp in his interface

and when you record you get the sound from the amp so if you cant get overdrive from it at low volumes, you could buy a new amp that can or get some overdrive pedal to boost the od channel or get a weber attenuator
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard