I am going to build a six string cigar box guitar, and in the spirit of cigar box guitars I am going to make my own neck. Will I need a truss rod or something inside the neck to keep it straight while under the tension of the strings? I was planning on using a solid piece of maple for the neck, but then realized I might need something to help hold it straight.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Ok so since I need to truss rod it, could I use a cheaper wood such as pine for the neck and then use maple for the fretboard? Or should I use a hardwood such as red oak with a maple fretboard?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

You could do a laminate neck.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
How would I do that? I am new to the whole building aspect of guitars, which is why I am starting with a cigar box guitar.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Well LP Addict can explain it better than I can, but I'll give it a shot.

You glue multiple pieces of different woods together. For example, Mahogany/Maple/Mahogany. It provides more strength in the neck. LP Addict has made some laminate necks that don't have truss rods.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Oh ok that makes sense. Wouldn't those be hard to shape into a neck though?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Nope. Your tools are steel, which can do anything it wants to any kind of wood.

And, don't use pine. It won't work too well, from what I know.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Pine is very soft and it splits. Though the prototype Tele used a pine neck (if I remember right) you don't see them with pine necks anymore. You could however try making a few necks out of pine to practice since it is cheaper. Less risk of ruining the maple. Oak would probably look pretty sweet, but it does splinter and is harder to shape than other more traditional guitar building woods.
So would the way to go be maple, install a truss rod, and put on a fretboard either maple or rosewood?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

That would probably be wise. Maybe not the most,...original, but it's commonly used for a reason.
Not too worried about originality. On the topic of fretboards, would it be possible to separate a fretboard from a guitar and use that? That would save a lot of work if I could. I was thinking about buying a junk acoustic that had a straight neck and using the fretboard and the tuners from it.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

But by buying a parts guitar I wont have to fret the fretboardand will probably save money. I could get a decent parts guitar for under $50.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

you an steam off the fretboard, but chances are it's not gonna be in great condition to use afterwards...
------

Shwiggity.